Best Economics Textbook (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
We use Dixon at school and I think it's great.
I asked my Economics teacher whether or not I should get additional textbooks, especially Riley since I got his Year 11 text book from my cousin and I found it quite useful. I say 'quite' because although Riley goes into a lot of detail (which is great if you struggle on getting the analysis bit in essays right) he can be quite difficult to understand if you don't know the basic/foundation, which Dixon is amazing at covering.

Here's the interesting bit: my Economics laughed when I mentioned Riley's name as it turns out that they attended university together and uh, he's not a big fan of Riley AHAHA. Said something among the lines of 'always pushed me to the edge' etc. Thought this would be interesting to share LOL :D

Regardless, he says if you use the two text books together it's a safe option but it isn't necessary.
Both Dixon and Riley are great, it depends on where you lack personally as to decide which one to use.
In short, I think Dixon is great if you need the basics, get your head around the theories etc.
Riley is when you want the in depth explanations which doesn't work well for everyone.

If you successfully use both well together and research current economic data yourself I think you are pretty much covered.
+1 defs

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
Dixon + Riley + Bulmer pls. But at times, bulmer can be a bit bul.

pomsky

HSC
My school uses Riley, but honestly like Dixon better because it's not just the detail that Riley goes into (honestly I like to cover my bases, so I like it when Riley does this) but the way he structures his information is pretty confusing. Particularly if it's a concept you haven't learnt before. Sometimes the graph doesn't match the explanation either.

But then again, I dunno, but it seems as though you need more detail than what Dixon provides you? Haha. It's interesting to see that despite almost shoving everything possible in his textbook, Riley doesn't cover everything in the Dixon textbook and vice versa.

Last edited:

spatula232

HSC
I reckon it's probably just as important to start gathering stats/media for each topic throughout the year as opposed to getting bogged down in which textbook to use because as long as you understand the theory and economic concepts and are able to apply that with examples, you'll be fine.

Plus, the Dixon textbook comes with the workbook which is also good to solidify the content

pomsky

HSC
I reckon it's probably just as important to start gathering stats/media for each topic throughout the year as opposed to getting bogged down in which textbook to use because as long as you understand the theory and economic concepts and are able to apply that with examples, you'll be fine.

Plus, the Dixon textbook comes with the workbook which is also good to solidify the content
I think Riley also has a workbook.

You can start scamming stats off your classmates after trials :p My teacher actually gave me a sheet, which was pretty neat- your teacher might do the same.

piethepker

HSC
N/A
I think Riley also has a workbook.

You can start scamming stats off your classmates after trials :p My teacher actually gave me a sheet, which was pretty neat- your teacher might do the same.
Can confirm he does, though it is per topic (the four in the syllabus) not by topic in the textbook.

His workbook has great sections on approaching the exam and essay structure, which dixon lacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)