Best HSC marks fail to guarantee place in medicine courses (1 Viewer)

HSC
Best HSC marks fail to guarantee place in medicine courses
by AMY MCNEILAGE - 05/01/14, 3:00 AM

Only 48 of the more than 65,000 school leavers in NSW achieved the 99.95 ATAR needed to gain entry into medicine at the University of Sydney.
Yet the course is so popular that even some of those students could miss out on one of the 30 places offered to undergraduates in a yearly intake of 300 students.
Nationwide, fewer than 20 per cent of students who applied for medicine were offered a place last year, lower than any other field.

Capt
All class: James Ruse students Gary Xu, Niroshan Jeyakumar, Steven Luu and David Wei Hu scored 99.95 in the HSC. Photo: Wolter Peeters

Last year, 12,433 students applied for medical studies courses nationally, an increase of almost a quarter since 2009, federal government statistics show.
By the numbers, prospective students had a better chance of getting into law, with offers made to 67 per cent of students who applied, and engineering, for which 85 per cent who applied received an offer of a place.
At the University of NSW, more than 3500 students applied for the 148 standard entry places for medicine last year.
While the minimum Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank for eligibility is 96, the university says the median ATAR among students accepted is always more than 99.6.
This year the university will have 280 undergraduate places available, of which about 208 will go to domestic students.
Sydney University medical school dean Bruce Robinson said, normally, about 90 per cent of the 30 places offered to school leavers went to NSW students. And it was ''absolutely the case'' that some 99.95 students missed out because of oversupply.
Top students might also fail to make the cut because they were not deemed suitable during the interview process.
''One reason is that they're so immature that they don't even realise that they're meant to indicate that they want to become doctors in the long run,'' he said. ''There was a student today [Thursday] who clearly failed to acknowledge that he wanted to be anything other than a musician.''
Professor Robinson said the university preferred students who were more mature, which was why its medicine degree was a graduate program. In addition to the 30 undergraduate students accepted, the school takes on 200 postgraduate and 70 international students.
''We feel as though our students really do want to be there,'' he said.
''It's not something that they're doing because they got a high mark. It's something they are doing because they really are choosing a vocation.''
The University of Newcastle, which has a minimum ATAR of 94.30 for its medicine degree, received more than 3000 applicants for its 170 positions last year.
Students had until midnight on Saturday to finalise their preferences for the main round of offers, which are released on January 16.
Leaving his decision until the last possible moment, prospective medicine student David Wei Hu, 18, decided to list the University of Sydney as his first preference.
He was one of six students from James Ruse Agricultural High School to receive a 99.95 ATAR last year. He said all of them had applied to study medicine.

Discuss entry into medicine especially USYD: should they demand for high umat scores to differentiate the 48 kids for 30 places? (Obviously not all 48 will be wanting to do medicine at USYD)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Top students might also fail to make the cut because they were not deemed suitable during the interview process.
This is fair enough. Entry into med especially shouldn't come down to numbers - particularly numbers that are a result of a flawed system which does not really identify the more intelligent and capable students in the first place.

Discuss entry into medicine especially USYD: should they demand for high umat scores to differentiate the 48 kids for 30 places? (Obviously not all 48 will be wanting to do medicine at USYD)
No for my above reason. There needs to be qualitative reasoning involved, not purely more numbers (and I know that UMAT tests qualitative stuff but the interview is more important imo, the Med Dean makes it pretty clear).

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
This is fair enough. Entry into med especially shouldn't come down to numbers - particularly numbers that are a result of a flawed system which does not really identify the more intelligent and capable students in the first place.

No for my above reason. There needs to be qualitative reasoning involved, not purely more numbers (and I know that UMAT tests qualitative stuff but the interview is more important imo, the Med Dean makes it pretty clear).
+1 You can be the smartest and the most gifted and get the highest marks, but if you don't have the communication skills as well, then it won't count for anything IMO.

Last edited:

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Article tries to make it sound like an outrage. 99.95 does not automatically mean you are the smartest and best candidate. They maybe be someone with an ATAR of 85 that has that personal attributes to make a better doctor

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Article tries to make it sound like an outrage. 99.95 does not automatically mean you are the smartest and best candidate. They maybe be someone with an ATAR of 85 that has that personal attributes to make a better doctor
...that's what I just said 5 minutes ago.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
If someone wants to appear as being the smartest, at least win the Nobel Prize. Having a 99.95 won't mean jack shit, apart from generally having the highest chance for being admitted into the course. I'd prefer Riproot to be my personal doctor over any random 99.95 person, any day of the year.

bangladesh

HSC
The USYD med entry process is one of the best in australia. They should leave it as it is. The MMI is highly effective in choosing suitable applicants and im sure they won't change that.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Lol :)
Amy McNeilage... Ily :D

OP: as previously said though, medicine is mor e than just the marks. I dunno what goes on in those interviews however they're obviously trying to find the right people for the course (in their opinion), so even if you go amazing in your marks, you might not be right for medicine.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
+1 You can be the smartest and the most gifted and get the highest marks, but if you don't have the communication skills as well, then it won't count for anything IMO.
The USYD med entry process is one of the best in australia. They should leave it as it is. The MMI is highly effective in choosing suitable applicants and im sure they won't change that.
Would rep you all but I'm at the gym

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

RishBonjour

HSC
There may be someone with a mystery ATAR and have the 'personal attributes' of a doctor. 99.95 ATAR damn well indicates (not every .95 person) that you want medicine and are willing to work for it (and you're capable). Please don't discount people's achievements. Obviously this does not mean someone with a lower ATAR isn't capable. That's why they allow transfers during university. More commonly, post grad medicine.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
''One reason is that they're so immature that they don't even realise that they're meant to indicate that they want to become doctors in the long run,'' he said. ''There was a student today [Thursday] who clearly failed to acknowledge that he wanted to be anything other than a musician.''
Professor Robinson said the university preferred students who were more mature, which was why its medicine degree was a graduate program. In addition to the 30 undergraduate students accepted, the school takes on 200 postgraduate and 70 international students.
''We feel as though our students really do want to be there,'' he said.

Isn't med at USYD a postgraduate program?

I think the demand for high UMAT scores is too much. I think the dean is right by focusing on the interview, because they get to see what kind of people are "right" for the course. UMAT can only tell so much, but if they really need to, I think they should go for a second round of interviews to differentiate between applicants. I've heard stories of high ATAR and 98 UMAT percentile, but denied entry into med because their interview didn't go well. I think that reinforces the idea of how important the interviews are in determining the nature of the people going into med and whether or not they're actually passionate about it.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I had a friend who failed the med interview process. good bloke and all but didn't have the people skills back when he just finished HS.

if you really want to be a doctor, you can still work hard and do postgrad med.

study1234

HSC
Isn't med at USYD a postgraduate program?

I think the demand for high UMAT scores is too much. I think the dean is right by focusing on the interview, because they get to see what kind of people are "right" for the course. UMAT can only tell so much, but if they really need to, I think they should go for a second round of interviews to differentiate between applicants. I've heard stories of high ATAR and 98 UMAT percentile, but denied entry into med because their interview didn't go well. I think that reinforces the idea of how important the interviews are in determining the nature of the people going into med and whether or not they're actually passionate about it.
There are 30 spots for guaranteed entry for 99.95s (or 99.5+ if you do music).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Wow, medical dreams slowly diminishing.... :(

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If someone wants to appear as being the smartest, at least win the Nobel Prize. Having a 99.95 won't mean jack shit, apart from generally having the highest chance for being admitted into the course. I'd prefer Riproot to be my personal doctor over any random 99.95 person, any day of the year.
Do you really want a doctor that might infect you with AIDS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)