Best Law Course? (1 Viewer)

SUeeeeee

HSC
I intend to do a Law/Arts degree, however I am not certain as to which University offers the best course - I have three options - University of Notre Dame, Macquarie University or University of Western Sydney?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Apparently Macquarie - from what I've heard - is good for Arts. I'm not sure about Law there.

From sentiment on this forum, stay away from UWS. Not sure about Notre Dame.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Double post <_<

Last edited:

NewiJapper

HSC
Despite having a lower ATAR cut-off, law at the University of Newcastle is highly praised due to it having a very involved practical side to it :) People who have gone from Newcastle to Sydney/NSW's law courses have said that it isn't worth the transfer.

GOD, I sound like an infomercial haha ^^

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The best law schools I know of are:

USyd, UNSW, ANU, Griffith, Macquarie, UQ (in a bit of trouble right now and people are transferring), Bond.

My best advice would be to find a university in which you like the 'feel' and student life, but there is also a good practical part to the law course and excellent international relations.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Notre Dame is a TAFE with a church and UWS is UWS. Macquarie is easily the best choice.

SUeeeeee

HSC
Despite having a lower ATAR cut-off, law at the University of Newcastle is highly praised
- My parent's don't want me to go out that far and I don't think I'm exactly ready to move out yet. But thanks anyway! :D I personally want to stay in the Sydney region.

From sentiment on this forum, stay away from UWS. Not sure about Notre Dame.
- I agree with you, on facebook there is this group called 'Only at UWS....' - one of the posts were "Only at UWS does your wallet get stolen before it hits the ground". Also there were many complaints about the areas for study, one post mentioned that they had to study in the mens toilet because everywhere else was noisy or packed.

My best advice would be to find a university in which you like the 'feel' and student life, but there is also a good practical part to the law course and excellent international relations.
- I've seen the student life and campus at Notre Dame, it's nice, but I am not crash hot about the whole religious ethics component that you have to complete. I haven't seen Macquarie yet, but I intend to go to the info day next week. I guess I want a university with a reputation that is held with a degree of esteem. Unfortunately for me my ATAR didn't allow me to get into UTS, USYD or UNSW, and I'm not prepared to go interstate for another couple of years. But thanks for the advice! :D

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
USYD is definitely the best. Usually it just goes by ATAR cut offs.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD is definitely the best. Usually it just goes by ATAR cut offs.
The ATAR cut-off of a course has nothing to do with how good the course is. They just means there are less places than there are applicants, so the cut-offs are higher because the demand is higher. Law courses in Sydney are, of course, going to have a higher cut-off than the more rural universities simply because there are more students that live in the Sydney area and hence the courses will be in higher demand.

NewiJapper

HSC
Aquawhite said:
The ATAR cut-off of a course has nothing to do with how good the course is. They just means there are less places than there are applicants, so the cut-offs are higher because the demand is higher. Law courses in Sydney are, of course, going to have a higher cut-off than the more rural universities simply because there are more students that live in the Sydney area and hence the courses will be in higher demand.
+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
That's the equivalent of saying branded clothing are of similar quality to cheapo Walmart clothes. Check university ranking and your questions will be answered. It's not a correlation buddy it's a causation where universities with higher ATAR cut offs have better reputations than those with lower ones. Although the course may not be the best your chances of finding a job is ultimately what is important. If you get into a reputable uni you are more likely to land a job. It all comes down to jobs at the end of the day. I've also talked to many of my law friends in USYD I don't know how many you know but I know a tonne and they all say the same thing, better marks and better unis=better chances of landing an internship at a reputable firm.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
That's the equivalent of saying branded clothing are of similar quality to cheapo Walmart clothes. Check university ranking and your questions will be answered. It's not a correlation buddy it's a causation where universities with higher ATAR cut offs have better reputations than those with lower ones. Although the course may not be the best your chances of finding a job is ultimately what is important. If you get into a reputable uni you are more likely to land a job. It all comes down to jobs at the end of the day. I've also talked to many of my law friends in USYD I don't know how many you know but I know a tonne and they all say the same thing, better marks and better unis=better chances of landing an internship at a reputable firm.
Yes sir, your opinion is the correct one.

SUeeeeee

HSC
Indeed USYD and UNSW have the best reputation and so forth la dee dah........ but I didn't get 99.65, so USYD/UNSW has no relevance to me now.
My post is based on 3 Uni's- Macquarie, Notre Dame & UWS.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Indeed USYD and UNSW have the best reputation and so forth la dee dah........ but I didn't get 99.65, so USYD/UNSW has no relevance to me now.
My post is based on 3 Uni's- Macquarie, Notre Dame & UWS.
Macquarie.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
What? What exactly makes USYD more demanded than UTS if not the quality?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UTS is a building. Where's the nice law building by itself or the nice grounds to sleep on or relax during classes? Where's the fresh air and the breeze on your face as you traverse from one building to another?

Matt2233

HSC
UTS is a building. Where's the nice law building by itself or the nice grounds to sleep on or relax during classes? Where's the fresh air and the breeze on your face as you traverse from one building to another?
Also Usyd has an arts faculty, opposed to uts's small international studies art degree. Never met someone as naive as this kid haha

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
How sexy is the USyd campus right!? I noticed that when I checked out Griffith campus, it had the exact same feel to it (apart from the delicious architecture at USyd)... nice place to chill. I think UNSW is sort of the same in certain sections of the uni - but then again I've never visited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)