Best Law Course? (1 Viewer)

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
How sexy is the USyd campus right!? I noticed that when I checked out Griffith campus, it had the exact same feel to it (apart from the delicious architecture at USyd)... nice place to chill. I think UNSW is sort of the same in certain sections of the uni - but then again I've never visited.
Dude, the USYD campus is too fricken big. I had to walk 20mins to get from one lecture to another once. And since they were held on consecutive hours I was always late. Super lame. But I do admit they have very good facilities, a lot of libraries, a lot of nice recreational areas etc.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
i would say go for macquarie. in terms of rankings it's one of the better universities for law [if that's the part of your degree you intend to focus and build a career on] and as far as i know better reputation = better chances of surviving in the real world, where law is concerned.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
That's the equivalent of saying branded clothing are of similar quality to cheapo Walmart clothes. Check university ranking and your questions will be answered. It's not a correlation buddy it's a causation where universities with higher ATAR cut offs have better reputations than those with lower ones. Although the course may not be the best your chances of finding a job is ultimately what is important. If you get into a reputable uni you are more likely to land a job. It all comes down to jobs at the end of the day. I've also talked to many of my law friends in USYD I don't know how many you know but I know a tonne and they all say the same thing, better marks and better unis=better chances of landing an internship at a reputable firm.
lol stereotypical pretentious USYD douchebag

ESSJAYBEExD

HSC
UWS Law (mixture of fact and opinion)

- Does not have as great a reputation as USYD, UNSW etc.

- UWS seems more practical in its degree. It has mooting (simulated court proceedings) integrated into the course, not just as a side option.

- In May 2010, Parramatta Community Justice Clinic opened.

A unique service, the PCJC will be run by UWS law students under the supervision of practicing solicitors from Macquarie Legal Centre.

It is thought the centre will primarily be used by disadvantaged members of the community who cannot afford legal representation, and the participating students are also set to benefit.

"Working in the PCJC ... gives our law students an invaluable learning experience - allowing many of them to work with clients for the first time in a context which gives the principles of fairness and social justice, which they have studied, a human face," said Reid.

- Both UWS and MQ have access to the Macquarie Legal Centre.

Legal Centre opens at Parramatta
On Friday 5 September 2008, Professor Michael Adams and Associate Professor Mac Collings attended the official opening of Macquarie Legal Centre in Parramatta.
Federal Attorney-General, the Hon Robert McClelland, opened the new premises as it celebrates its 30th year of service to the local community. Along with the Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs and Settlement Services and Member for Reid the Hon Laurie Ferguson MP, the Attorney-General congratulated the board, staff and volunteers who have contributed their time and efforts to ensuring access to justice for disadvantaged members of the community.
Mr McClelland said, “It is a great privilege to be here today to recognise the work of this Centre and hear about the range of services it provides to people across Western Sydney."
"In particular, I was impressed with the partnerships the Centre has developed with the University Of Western Sydney and Macquarie University to provide valuable practical experience for law students, while helping to assist the most vulnerable in our community resolve their legal problems,” he said.

- Although USYD looks better than UWS, work experience may be more appealing to an employer then which university they graduated from. That said, there's no reason that students from any university couldn't seek this out on their own.

- The following is unconfirmed/rumour/talk : Apparently they fill the first year with more assessments/work than usual to weed out the people who did it just because they got the ATAR for it. But that's not dealing in fact.

- I've been to a seminar with a lecturer (but he's from the Ctown campus) and found it interesting and engaging. I've also witnessed a moot they do, in front of real judges who volunteer their time, and thoroughly enjoyed it. After that we were spoken to by the Dean of Law for UWS, who was also genuinely nice and engaging.

It's really easy [for me] to get to parramatta station and then get the shuttle bus to the campus.

Those are my reasons for liking UWS law. Getting opinions from this forum is a good idea, but remember to look into what people say. Some will be true, but some is just bullshit people make up because they really like/really dislike a university.

If Law is what you really want to do, and those are your options, then meet the staff, meet the students, see what their websites say and even newspaper articles if you can find them. Call them, email them, with any and every question. This decision will probably affect the rest of your life, so you need to make the decision that's best for YOU. Take into account or discard travel time, reputation, "feel" etc. based on what matters to you. You're doing this course for the next 5 or so years and employment thereafter based on the degree, not your parents, not your friends, and not the strangers on the Internet.

xChRoMaTiCx

HSC

- UWS seems more practical in its degree. It has mooting (simulated court proceedings) integrated into the course, not just as a side option.

A unique service, the PCJC will be run by UWS law students under the supervision of practicing solicitors from Macquarie Legal Centre.

It is thought the centre will primarily be used by disadvantaged members of the community who cannot afford legal representation, and the participating students are also set to benefit.

"Working in the PCJC ... gives our law students an invaluable learning experience - allowing many of them to work with clients for the first time in a context which gives the principles of fairness and social justice, which they have studied, a human face," said Reid.

On Friday 5 September 2008, Professor Michael Adams and Associate Professor Mac Collings attended the official opening of Macquarie Legal Centre in Parramatta.
Federal Attorney-General, the Hon Robert McClelland, opened the new premises as it celebrates its 30th year of service to the local community. Along with the Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs and Settlement Services and Member for Reid the Hon Laurie Ferguson MP, the Attorney-General congratulated the board, staff and volunteers who have contributed their time and efforts to ensuring access to justice for disadvantaged members of the community.
Mr McClelland said, “It is a great privilege to be here today to recognise the work of this Centre and hear about the range of services it provides to people across Western Sydney."
"In particular, I was impressed with the partnerships the Centre has developed with the University Of Western Sydney and Macquarie University to provide valuable practical experience for law students, while helping to assist the most vulnerable in our community resolve their legal problems,” he said.

- Although USYD looks better than UWS, work experience may be more appealing to an employer then which university they graduated from. That said, there's no reason that students from any university couldn't seek this out on their own.

- The following is unconfirmed/rumour/talk : Apparently they fill the first year with more assessments/work than usual to weed out the people who did it just because they got the ATAR for it. But that's not dealing in fact.

- I've been to a seminar with a lecturer (but he's from the Ctown campus) and found it interesting and engaging. I've also witnessed a moot they do, in front of real judges who volunteer their time, and thoroughly enjoyed it. After that we were spoken to by the Dean of Law for UWS, who was also genuinely nice and engaging.

It's really easy [for me] to get to parramatta station and then get the shuttle bus to the campus.

Those are my reasons for liking UWS law. Getting opinions from this forum is a good idea, but remember to look into what people say. Some will be true, but some is just bullshit people make up because they really like/really dislike a university.

If Law is what you really want to do, and those are your options, then meet the staff, meet the students, see what their websites say and even newspaper articles if you can find them. Call them, email them, with any and every question. This decision will probably affect the rest of your life, so you need to make the decision that's best for YOU. Take into account or discard travel time, reputation, "feel" etc. based on what matters to you. You're doing this course for the next 5 or so years and employment thereafter based on the degree, not your parents, not your friends, and not the strangers on the Internet.
Dude, UWS is U W S!

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Where are these rankings that you speak of?
international rankings, etc. you can google them.
buuut, all that being said, i'm looking at the 2011 good universities guide right now and check this out -
18% of usyd graduates are seeking work, as opposed to 9% from uws [and 0% from unsw where i'm going ;D].
and their 'success compared' are both average. so, go figure o_O
[but wait, that might have something to do with the fact that nearly half of uws graduates go on to do further study? idk o_O]

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

In Law, prestige and reputation counts for a lot for employers.

xChRoMaTiCx

HSC
Why does EVERYONE want to do law, like WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! Is it really worth going to UWS (United WOG Society) for?

ESSJAYBEExD

HSC
In Law, prestige and reputation counts for a lot for employers.
I'm not an employer so I can't confirm or deny that. I was just saying something along the lines that I'd rather go for a job with previous experience on my resume than a supposedly better education provider.
But it is a possibility that the employers might look for someone who went to the same university that they did.
So as a UWS graduate you might have trouble in this area as the law school is only 10 years old.
It might also be a disadvantage if seeking employment in the city, but apparently it can be advantageous in Western Sydney (go figure). If you live in Western Sydney, Study in Western Sydney, then just maybe you might want to seek employment in Western Sydney.

Besides, this thread is about UWS, MQ or whatever the other one was that I can't remember. I've looked into the UWS Law degree, and was giving my opinion for the OP.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
It's definitely true that with law, prestige is vital. It really depends on the employer, if you get a traditional lawyer educated over 40 years ago, then a USYD graduate would be ideal, because USYD has the prestige of a typical black-letter law school. UNSW on the other hand, is a lot more modern and research intensive, so attract more modern firms and younger employers.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC

UNSW also its kensington firm.

True prestige is a big factor in some cases, ive been told by my hsie faculty head at school as well as numerous others to go for unsw if i had a choice between usyd and unsw. Apparently usyd is faltering a bit and is using its "prestige" to keep reeling people in while unsw is a lot more modern and overall slightly better.

that being said i would be elated to get into either of em after internal transfering from commerce/economics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)