Best Method of studying? (1 Viewer)

KappaD

HSC
I am in year 11 and at the end of this year I ranked 2nd in chemistry (by a rounding error!).
I know the HSC course (industrial chem as option) with regards to knowledge.
But the thing is - in exams I get around 85-90% raw mark and always get screwed over on those 7mk questions and pesky little things.

My question is: what is the best way to study for chemistry (or any science for that matter)?
Chug through past papers? Memorise notes/syllabus dps?

Also: What kind of a raw mark in the HSC exam would I need to get a scaled mark of 95ish?

Cheers

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Past papers are really good for picking up those little things. In science I think it's important to look at the keywords that they ask and make sure that you answer the question in the right format. I.e Assess: advantages + disadvantages , judgement etc...

A raw mark of roughly 89ish will get mid 90s. (What my teacher who's a senior HSC marker tells me anyway)

barbernator

HSC
you would need to get around 87-88% to get an aligned mark of 95.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
When you say your getting 85-90% is that for prelim or past papers etc. Also if you are doing the hsc exams and you're getting 85-90% I say keep going because a mark like that in the hsc probably would get you close to 95. However its possible that if your marking your own work it may be biased and you might be in a false sense of sercurity insofar as actually being able to achieve those marks. All in all if your getting 90% legit per se then I take my hat off sir because you are in good stead for the HSC!

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
When you say your getting 85-90% is that for prelim or past papers etc. Also if you are doing the hsc exams and you're getting 85-90% I say keep going because a mark like that in the hsc probably would get you close to 95. However its possible that if your marking your own work it may be biased and you might be in a false sense of sercurity insofar as actually being able to achieve those marks. All in all if your getting 90% legit per se then I take my hat off sir because you are in good stead for the HSC!
It could be that OP's school mark easy...

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
It could be that OP's school mark easy...
Of course I'm not doubting OP's ability at all however I think its important that people don't overcompensate their marks when they could be doing even better!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
88% raw mark gets you a 96 exam mark (in HSC).

I feel the best way to study is using a good quality set of notes in conjunction with a textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)