Best MODERN day guitarist (1 Viewer)

tanguyen

HSC
I don't know if we've spoken about this topic already.. but who really cares I've started a thread and no one cares about it. Of course there's the timeless legends such as your Chuck Berrys, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Clapton, The Youngs, Hammet, Vai and countless others.. but who's a respected guitarist in the modern era?

To set some "rules" before people start disputing who's modern and who's not.. let's define modern as being a solo guitarist or guitarist in a band who's first record was released after 1990... so basically their careers have only been 15 years or less.. to get the ball rolling.. I might be a bit biased but I reckon Chris Cheney from the Living End is quite the nutter on a guitar with his like.. blues-rockabilly licks and solos and Dave Baksh from Sum 41 cuz he knows how to shred and tap.. the works.

What do you guys think..? I'm sure you're all more broadminded than me when it comes to this so yeah.. OPEN UP

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
maynard from tool and apc.
corgan from the pumpkins and zwan.
john mayer

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
Chris Cheney was better before he smashed his spine.

Dave Baksh fails utterly to impress me on any level.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Anthrax said:
maynard from tool and apc.
corgan from the pumpkins and zwan.
john mayer
Maynard plays guitar?!

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
Since when did Maynard play guitar?
i just confused myself.

meant to say billy howerdel from apc. i was just listening to tool as i wrote that.

Dhruv

HSC
Best in what sense? If you're going for technicality, I'd say John Petrucci without blinking once. But, for just generally melodic ones, the following guys would be on the list: John Mitchell, Michael Romeo, Roine Stolt, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Herman Li, Johan Reinholdz etc.

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Chuck Berrys, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Clapton, The Youngs, Hammet, Vai ARE your modern day guitarists.
You're a complete fucking fool to think that there is any musician worth mention who was in the music scene after 1985.

G

Gavvvvvin

biggles04 said:
Chuck Berrys, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Clapton, The Youngs, Hammet, Vai ARE your modern day guitarists.
You're a complete fucking fool to think that there is any musician worth mention who was in the music scene after 1985.
Haha, your an ignorant baffoon.

tanguyen

HSC
biggles04 said:
I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but if we take into account what you've said is correct (and I'm not implying that the guitarists I've mentioned are ancient or outdated) then it is also true to say that "Beethoven" is a modern day music hero because his work to this day, written and composed centuries ago, still leaves all modern contemporary composers "up shit creek without a paddle".

Last edited:

slip

HSC
john frusciante... he was on one cd before 1990, so im going to say it even though he doesnt strictly comply with your rules.

john butler

i will agree with chris cheney and tom morello

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
tanguyen said:
I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but if we take into account what you've said is correct (and I'm not implying that the guitarists I've mentioned are ancient or outdated) then it is also true to say that "Beethoven" is a modern day music hero because his work to this day, written and composed centuries ago, still leaves all modern contemporary composers "up shit creek without a paddle".
No, you are incorrect.
1950-present is modern day.

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
biggles04 said:
You're an idiot.

heybraham

HSC
biggles04 said:
No, you are incorrect.
1950-present is modern day.
yes modern music is technically post-1950s but the original post was trying to refer to the past decade or so. what is that called?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)