• Total voters

mrman

man... its good to see that this isnt just a praise jackaranda forum

HSC SUCCESS TIP: CONTEXTS IS A KILLER!

Last edited by a moderator:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i have jacaranda.. but i find it waffles too much for the dot points where it says to discuss the discovery of (insert appropriate discovery) or to outline (insert appropriate name)'s experiment....

does anyone have a phys surfing textbk they're willing to lend or sell? our school has a couple of copies but they're always on loan dammit...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I did Physics last year ... and if I was to buy a Phy textbook now, I would buy Jacaranda on the grounds of the pictures! (My school used it ... but too much readin' IMO)! :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Jacaranda was basically the only book I used when I crammed for the HSC. It covers everything u need to kno for the exam

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
Jacaranda was basically the only book I used when I crammed for the HSC. It covers everything u need to kno for the exam
Jacaranda & Cramming?!

That would've been alot of crammin' ... I mean the textbook was too heavy to carry around, let along study! :D :p

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yep jacaranda all the way, but i do know this guy who just read and learnt success one off by heart last year and he got 89 percent in his hsc!!!:D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by flyin'

Jacaranda & Cramming?!

That would've been alot of crammin' ...
It was :(
lets see, 14 days x 10 hrs a day of writing physics notes
then 7 days x 10 hrs a day of rewriting and attempting successone q's...
It saved my physics mark though

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Jacaranda + surfing physics is best combination :D

the questions in surfing are pretty good and it covers almost everything u need to know

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
the questions in surfing are pretty good...

na, the questions in surfing are a bit too repetetive and cumbersome and i don't think most of the questions resemble possible hsc questions anyway. plus there are lots of mistakes in it!!

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
surfing has a lots of mistakes compared to other txtbooks, so i dun rely on that one. Our tecaher said its bc they hurriedd up everything to get it out in time for this yr's physics ppl...nto a good idea to only rely on that one!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
yes i noticed a lot of mistakes. mainly in the answers section

all i remmeber in the space section is the roller coaster section where the equation has the negative sign mixed up.

but in all you shouldn't rely on just surfing. although it is a really good book because it has lots of relevent questions use a more informative and colourful book like jacaranda

Rahul

Dead Member
roller coasters are not in the syllabus!!

i hope u know that, maybe u did it b4 they changed it for this yr's hsc.

go jacaranda!!! :p

quarkfire

bludger
HSC
N/A
is the physics context one that really big orangey-black book? Cause I've got that and it's not too bad..
jacaranda is what my school uses though and I must agree it's really good. covers everything, even stuff you don't need but it helps you understand it.

Rahul

Dead Member
physics context is the one which uses one colour for all the picture, diff shades..not as well laid out as jac.

the orange book is physics in context from memory, yeh that one is quite good, esp if u had that in yr 11. as it has both courses in it.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
This course is very watered down and it should be called eng-phys or something!!!:mad: and thats why i think the best book is those with past trial papers, coz the amount you gotta learn is really little (compared to 2002)its just the WAY u answer those questions that stuffs most people up!

Giant Lobster

HSC
I think the main thing about jacaranda is the diagrams, they are laid out in high detail... subs like phys, u gotta have diagrams.

redhat

The only problem I find with Physics books is that they seem to stretch on for like pages on end, when only a paragraph is required to explain it in a concise manner..

Contexts blabbers on for hundreds of pages, when all is required is a brief summary of the main points. Some of the explanations are too techy so that wasted about 50% of my time..

I like simple explanations that are clear in composition. I a textbook that has clear explanations for "idiots" and questions that are designed to mirror HSC ones.

I think Contexts fails in this manner, and Jacaranda also.

They both waste too much time on unnecessarily lengthed explanations.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
good pnt there, but when that happens, i usually go back to excel 'cause its clear n more understandable. Now usually when I make notes i summarise out of excel and if i need to elaborate i look for the more recent txtbooks. If u cant understand contexts sometimes, then id recommend look over excel and then when u understand teh basic idea, go back to contexts/jacaranda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)