Best piano pieces for 8th grade/Associate level. (1 Viewer)

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Chopin's Ballades (esp 1 and 4) are difficult but try any of the Transcendental Etudes (esp 4 or 10)- will guarantee you will literally go nuts after a while trying to play it together. I've tried playing Transcendental Etudes 4 and 10 and gave up after trying to play it together for 5 months. The complicated chordal progression is more than enough to drive anyone mad. But yes, you are right I'd definitely say Chopin's Ballades 1 and 4 are tough but beautifully composed (2 and 3 are definitely playable).

Anyone heard of the composer Sorabji?
Ok this is my opinion, I just don't like Sorabji's compositions, They seem unplayable and sound weird, maybe it's just me that doesn't understand Sorabji's music but If you guys know any nice sounding Sorabji composition, can someone tell meeee?

kyokaku92

HSC
Lol, to me Sorabji is this crazy British guy who was desperate to try and set a new world record of composing the longest piece and knowing barely anyone can play it (Opus Clavicembalisticum).....

I wonder if he ever thought about people wanting to play or listen to his music but couldn't because of the ridiculous length?

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Lol, to me Sorabji is this crazy British guy who was desperate to try and set a new world record of composing the longest piece and knowing barely anyone can play it (Opus Clavicembalisticum).....

I wonder if he ever thought about people wanting to play or listen to his music but couldn't because of the ridiculous length?
I recon hey, his composition weird, I wonder if his opus clavierwhatever is even playable at all, I mean why would you compose a music that is unplayable.......:confused:

kyokaku92

HSC
Well, he kinda reminds me of Rachmaninoff (he has massive hands apparently) who composes really complex chordal patterns that some pianists with smaller hands have trouble reaching or playing without making mistakes (eg: Prelude Op 23 No 5)

Ohh, I just remembered, God bless his Piano Concerto No 3 Op 30. A true masterpiece that stretches the limit of any pianist!!

Last edited:

scenotaph

HSC
Does anyone know if Chopin's posthumous nocturne in C minor will be considered an "easy" piece for the HSC? I've finished my gradings but I just reckon I'll stuff up doing harder pieces during my HSC. So I'd stay safe.

Or would the C# posthumous be a better choice?

Stevemotto

HSC
Hey there!

I just finished my 8th grade piano (B+ was stoked with!) and have just started the HSC Course for Music 1.

I might do Associate (still 50/50) but if I do sometime after my HSC, and I love music of the Romatic/Impressionist/Modern periods (classical usually lets me down, and I'm not a big fan).

I'm kind of bored at the moment, as I'm not learning anything new and was wondering if you could help me out by naming any 8th grade/Associate level pieces that embrace my style. Since the HSC for music is still just less then a year away, I was hoping I could learn a couple of expressionate, passionate pieces before then.

Thanks heaps fellow musos,

Frontin.
Dude why get B+ for grade 8 and do music 1 ==". Anyways like you my favs is usually in the romantic and impressionism style. I suggest a song called "Albumblatt op. 66" by Friedrich Grutzmacher (try googling it). That was the song that gave me an "A" in grade 8. Another good piece is the Chopin Waltz Op. 70 No. 2, its also one of the songs I plade for grade 8. Its pretty nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)