Best plan of attack.... (1 Viewer)

ADDND

HSC
Well.......I was accepted to UTS to study a Bachelor of Education (it was my second preference). My first preference was Macquarie Bachelor of Arts Psychology with Dip Ed (Primary). Third preference was Macquarie B Arts/B Ed. I find myself worried now that maybe the straight B Ed might be too narrow a course, should I perhaps decide that I might want to branch out into something else. Both courses at Macquarie now say no vacancies........

So, would it maybe be better to either do a year of the B Ed at UTS and try to transfer, or enrol in a straight B Arts at Macquarie, do well, and try to transfer internally to one of my preferred courses? I've worked with kids, I know I love it, but I'm unsure about leaving myself no other options.........

I have moved both preferences for Macquarie to first and second, on the off chance something comes up. But should I move the B Arts to the top of the list?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Accept whatever you've got so you don't get nothing. Then reshuffle your prefs for the Late Round. If you get in on the Late Round then withdraw from your UTS and take up the course you actually wanted.

On the off-hand that that fails, you can always do what you want to do in Uni when selecting subjects (not all Unis allow this) and then try and internally transfer. You can also attempt an external transfer, but you have to apply through UAC for those.

Generally, internal transfers are always easier, so try and get into the uni that offers the course you're hoping to transfer into.

Keep in mind, this assumes you'll study like hard and actually meet the transfer requirements. Otherwise you're going to have a waste of HECS debt on your hands and be behind on the degree you're currently in.

ADDND

HSC
Thanks for the response.

I have accepted the offer from UTS, now I'm thinking I should move the B/Arts at Macquarie to the top of my preferences? The other two courses have no vacancies left so it would seem a waste of time to leave them at the top. I thought it might be easier to try to get into MQ and then transfer internally if possible, as you suggested. I found the following on the MQ website regarding transferring......

http://www.studentadmin.mq.edu.au/docs/courseTransferTable2.pdf

Assuming I am accepted into the B/Arts in the late round, maybe this would be a better way of approaching things? If I'm reading it right, it would seem that I can transfer straight over to B/Arts Dip Ed after the first session, or B/Arts-Psychology Dip Ed with a GPA of 2.5 and 12 credit points after the first session.

So would you suggest doing it this way rather than going to UTS and trying to transfer externally later on? If I can't get into MQ then obviously I have no choice, but I'm just weighing up what might be preferable. Also, how hard is it to achieve a GPA of 2.5? I have applied as mature aged, scored in top 25% on STAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)