best scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

el-capitano

HSC
okay, so i'm not sure about the rest of you guys, but i'd reeaalllyy like to know what subjects scale well.
so if anyone knows or has an idea of where you can find out (cause i swear i've scanned the BOS website liek 50 times)
it would be greatly appreciated :)
xx

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Do any combination of subjects well, and scaling will not affect you. :)

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
P25 means the top 25% right? why is a 34 in chemistry for example scaled to 25.8? i dont think i'm reading this properly....
The 34 in chemistry is scaled to a 25.8 because most subjects [even the well scaling ones] scale poorly near the lower marks. P25 means the 25th percentile, meaning that you're only beating 25% of the state [roughly]. Meaning you're in the top 75%. Meaning...I'm crap at explaining things ><;".

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Mathematics Extension 2, Advanced English, Physics and Chemistry

Unless your school offers Greek and Latin.. then slot those in if you don't want to be a typical asian

Schoey93

HSC
oh ok thanks i understand the percentile thing now...so even if you get in P99 for chemistry you still get scaled down 0.9?
No, the 99th percentile is the top 1% of the state. Scoring a mark in chemistry that placed you in the 99th percentile would result in also scoring a high scaled mark.

Stormey

HSC
Didn't you deliberately choose and keep subjects you hate (mathematics and physics) because you knew that they scaled well?
Doesn't mean he wasn't good at them subjects. I hate a couple of subjects, but I still do good at them.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Didn't you deliberately choose and keep subjects you hate (mathematics and physics) because you knew that they scaled well?
I disliked Maths and Physics...and you drew the conclusion that I did it because I did them because they scaled well? Don't assume stuff, please.

I did them because there was really nothing else could I do. Economics, Modern History, etc not for me.

victoria10

HSC
i actually understand that table. thanks to who got it :D

my subjects scale shit. oh joy.

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
I chose my subjects based on what scaled well, and quite frankly, it was the biggest mistake I ever made. When teachers tell you to choose your subjects based on your interests and what you actually want to do, they mean it, and I found that out the hard way.
Okay, so I got into the course I wanted (more or less.. lol), but my HSC year was a never ending grind, and I would've done A LOT better if I was doing subjects I actually enjoyed. As Aerath pointed out earlier, just do well in any desired combination of subjects, and you'll be fine.

ar7

HSC
u cant just throw urself into subjects coz they scale well. psst. amateurs. also ur scaling always depends on how ur clasmates go, the state does and how well u go urself in that particular course. the extension courses generally scale up, along with sciences, however some subjects wich ur 'less gifted' classmates fail can bring ur marks down.

as a general indicator, courses with smaller numbers scale higher, as the more elite students are those that undertake courses wich not every1 completes. at the end of the day u gotta go well urself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)