Best scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

xibu34

HSC
Hey. What are the best scaling subjects that would also benefit me in medicine?
Usually the best scaling subjects from what I know are Maths (Advanced-Ext 2) and Physics/Chem. You might want to consider doing Bio if you are interested in studying Medicine.

xibu34

HSC
Thx for the info guys. It really helped me out. Just out of curiosity, should I get a part time job in Yr 11 and Yr 12?
Depends how important money is to you and whether your family will help with post school expenses. But a 12-15 hour week wouldn't hurt your study too much although it may cause you stress which could have an indirect effect.

Also as a general rule of thumb I believe everybody should have at least $10K emergency money saved up around the time they finish high school.

sab13562

HSC
After extension maths and English, economics scales the highest, higher than physics, chemistry and biology surprisingly. But as some have said above, you're better off choosing subjects you enjoy, and if they scale well, then that's a double bonus for you.

dasfas

HSC
Usually the best scaling subjects from what I know are Maths (Advanced-Ext 2) and Physics/Chem. You might want to consider doing Bio if you are interested in studying Medicine.
Most schools don't offer triple science. Chemistry > Biology if you want to do med.

satvik_1008

HSC
After extension maths and English, economics scales the highest, higher than physics, chemistry and biology surprisingly. But as some have said above, you're better off choosing subjects you enjoy, and if they scale well, then that's a double bonus for you.
that is true but if you are trying for medicine it is essentially a prerequisite to have a 99+ atar (really you should try get a 99.5+ atar) and because of that scaling does matter quite a bit, you are better off doing 4u maths over society and culture if you say love sac but are neutral about doing maths. of course using scaling as the sole determination for subject selection is dumb, if you absolutely hate humanities it doesn't make sense to do economics but to ignore its importance when balanced with interest when trying for a competitive degree like medicine is a mistake

yao_jahang

HSC
Does PDHPE scale all right? And also is it a good subject? Pros and cons? Because I really like memorization and apparently this subject has a lot of memorization.

5uckerberg

HSC
Does PDHPE scale all right? And also is it a good subject? Pros and cons? Because I really like memorization and apparently this subject has a lot of memorization.
Very funny that someone mentioned PDHPE. Never in my lifetime have I heard PDHPE get mentioned in the subject of scaling subjects for students who want to do medicine. So I would actually steer away from that. Does not scale well as intended.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Most schools don't offer triple science. Chemistry > Biology if you want to do med.
I’m appreciating our local high school more & more. They offer triple science (Bio, Chem & Phys). In fact, the Science dept would probably accommodate Earth & Environmental Science to be studied as a fourth science subject if anyone were keen to do it.

dasfas

HSC
I’m appreciating our local high school more & more. They offer triple science (Bio, Chem & Phys). In fact, the Science dept would probably accommodate Earth & Environmental Science to be studied as a fourth science subject if anyone were keen to do it.
idk, I'm not that fussed that it wasn't offered. If anything, I appreciate that I was encouraged to explore other subjects rather than going all out 100% in science too early. I have my whole career for that.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
you can't actually do more than 6 units of science
Technically, a maximum of 7 units of science may be included in the year 12 pattern of study. This change was implemented in 2019 to allow for the study of Science Extension, which was examined for the first time as part of the 2019 HSC.

yao_jahang

HSC
What would be the best combination of subjects for goi go to psychology/psychiatry?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
What would be the best combination of subjects for goi go to psychology/psychiatry?
The above is correct in terms of meeting the requirements of your chosen degree as your ATAR is the essential component that universities will consider when assessing your application.

However, in terms of subject knowledge that may be beneficial with respect to studying psychology at university, Society and Culture (which I believe you are already taking?) would be a good option for you if you wish to study a Bachelor of Psychology (or another degree involving psychology) at university. Society and Culture allows you to develop your knowledge of the interaction of people, societies, cultures and environments. It also explores other aspects of societies and cultures, such as power, authority, gender, technologies and globalisation.

Society and Culture also covers cross-disciplinary concepts and social research methods from fields such as anthropology, communication, philosophy, social psychology and sociology. These are fields that you are likely to cover within a Bachelor of Psychology.

icycledough

HSC
that is true but if you are trying for medicine it is essentially a prerequisite to have a 99+ atar (really you should try get a 99.5+ atar) and because of that scaling does matter quite a bit, you are better off doing 4u maths over society and culture if you say love sac but are neutral about doing maths. of course using scaling as the sole determination for subject selection is dumb, if you absolutely hate humanities it doesn't make sense to do economics but to ignore its importance when balanced with interest when trying for a competitive degree like medicine is a mistake
That's actually what I thought (about needing a 99.5+ ATAR or thereabouts to get into medicine), but in fact, there's a lot of universities which don't require a 99+ ATAR. Even within NSW, for WSU and JMP, the minimum ATARs needed are like 95.5 (non-GWS) and 94. The great thing is that these are only thresholds, meaning that someone who gets 96 compared to someone who gets 99 won't be disadvantaged, as their outcome will rely heavily or entirely on their interview performance. But I agree that getting a 99.5+ ATAR opens up your options to a whole lot universities.

nzexperiment

HSC
That's actually what I thought (about needing a 99.5+ ATAR or thereabouts to get into medicine), but in fact, there's a lot of universities which don't require a 99+ ATAR. Even within NSW, for WSU and JMP, the minimum ATARs needed are like 95.5 (non-GWS) and 94. The great thing is that these are only thresholds, meaning that someone who gets 96 compared to someone who gets 99 won't be disadvantaged, as their outcome will rely heavily or entirely on their interview performance. But I agree that getting a 99.5+ ATAR opens up your options to a whole lot universities.
oh so hurdle atar requirements where they give offers according to ucat and interview?

quickoats

HSC
If you love society and culture, why not do both? Imo society and culture was really easy and wasn't too hard to balance with MX2. You don't need to make an ultimatum right now.

yao_jahang

HSC
Should I do PDHPE for medicine? I’m picking between ancient history and pdhpe and pdhpe has a bad rap and stuff

icycledough

HSC
oh so hurdle atar requirements where they give offers according to ucat and interview?
Yh, but I think those are the only 2 universities which do that. For example, UNSW would consider your ATAR (for which a competitive ATAR would be like 99.5+)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)