best textbook for physics (1 Viewer)

flyingdude

what are some good textbooks for physics
i am finding the excel txtbook is pretty crap

so i would like to find out some more textbooks which may be of good help for prelim + hsc course

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
If jacaranda has a prelim, get that... but the hsc jacaranda one is very good (although it has lots of info on stuff not in the hsc)

kini mini

HSC
I agree, Jacaranda HSC is great. I don't know about prelim tho.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i admit jacandra wateva that oen with the spaceman on front

we didnt have to buy it coz our skool provided it for us hehe!!

macmilliam is okay sum good stuff in there too

and of coz msut buy the sucess ONE! physics

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
jacaranda is the most detail book ... i reckon its the best because of the many many pages of glossy pictures of stars, spaceshuttles, motors and other assorted physics things ... after that spotlight is the best (although its just black and white) ...

D

d00d

macmillan is for the old syllabus but for the stuff that is still in the new syllabus, its pretty nice n clear.

jacaranda and physics contexts are both pretty good too...

professor

Jacaranda is da best...coz at the end of each chapter, there is a experiment they expect you to do and they list you all da equipment...blah blah blah, and you can use it as a 'reference' to your prac book.

mp3mojo

ok the worst is 'macmillan'
* 'physics in context' is a great book but expensive. great questions, but only downfall is dat there's no answers (only available in the teachers ed).
* 'jacaranda' is ok... (but warnnin MANY skools r usin it so to get band 6 answers u may need more resources esp if ur usin dis bk in class). ONLY COLOR TEXTBK
* 'physics surfing' is also a good series of bks 2 get, since it was written by a senior HSC physics marker. it also has great questions + great answers.
* 'physics excel' BEST SUMMARY EVER!!!! MUST GET
* 'spotlight' good if u lik to study physics by reading (not by diagrams) and lik to read phys lik a huge story.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by mp3mojo

* 'physics surfing' is also a good series of bks 2 get, since it was written by a senior HSC physics marker. it also has great questions + great answers.
yeh i brought the whole set except for the elective

those questions are useful wid summaries as well~~

tt_j65

HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
we don't really have a txtbook
i'm not sure if the skool is gonna get jacaranda or longman or.. or.. i don't know
longman :(

professor

yea, mp3 is correct, so if you really wanna get a top mark, reference books isn't a bad idea and in this case, i recommend SuccessOne HSC-Physics. This book got past papers questions and worked out solutions, not bad if you want to know what type of question is in the test and how you should answer it.

tt_j65

HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y

don't worry man i write textbooks for a living

oh i got the battlefields i downloaded it btw
jacaranda costs 51$$$ !! :( no $$$

Twintip

All the ones we have now are crap because they haven't been re-printed since the syllabus was cut down. There is so much irrelevant stuff in there now.

mp3mojo

Originally posted by professor
yea, mp3 is correct, so if you really wanna get a top mark, reference books isn't a bad idea and in this case, i recommend SuccessOne HSC-Physics. This book got past papers questions and worked out solutions, not bad if you want to know what type of question is in the test and how you should answer it.
yeah i 4got 2 say sucess-one as well, GREAT BOOK 2 get
but if ur gettin the old editions lik (2001 or 2002) becareful cos it's written for the 2001 & 2002 syllabus, so there could B stuff in there u dont need. But i guess dat goes for all the txtbks.

when i did my phys course (2002) i bought all the phys txtbks except 'macmillan', & trust me it was worth it.
i only bought the surfing series the month B4 the HSC, i read it & did sum of the Qs, and there r sum info in those bk dat no other bk has.

And for experiments, u really dun need the jarcanda bk only for experiement reports. In my year our teacher didn't even ask us to write reports ie with the aim, equipment etc. it was as long as we understand what was goin on & we write down sum sort of result / conclusion then it would be enough, as we use it only 2 remind us of our experiment. And believe me, it was a good method, cos seriously in phys i thnk understanding is far more important than memory. Whereas in chemistry, memory was far more important.

Rahul

Dead Member
i have so many phy text books...mostly from the school:

physics contexts
jacaranda
surfing physics -for all topics
excel physics
excel physics sample physics
studymate physics
excel phyisics past papers

:eek: :eek: jeez....i better go good in my hsc

hgpstar

we had the physics contexts, which is pretty good, just burn a copy of the answers to the questions.

id combine with the jacaranda, cos it has the prac bits and it gives you page references for the syllabus points, which is soooo handy for summarising.

only one person in our class had the jacaranda, and i spent haf my time convincing him to lend it to me and driving half an hour to his house to collect it, before driving it back again... but that was cos our techer was really slack on the prac work and i freaked our before every exam, so i just summarised the ones in the book!

personally, i just dont like summary books at all. they are boring, and dont cover everything, which can be misleading, cos you would expect that a summary book covers al the major points but its not always the case. do you own summaries!

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
tt_j65

is ur avatar from "my sassy girl" (that tree)

or am i just muddled up hehe

tt_j65

HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
tt_j65

is ur avatar from "my sassy girl" (that tree)

or am i just muddled up hehe

hahahahahahhahahhahahahhaa

my orginial idea when i took that photo was from that movie

heres the resized original:

original here
Exif Info for the camera nutters here :hammer:
Camera: Canon Powershot A40 (M mode)
Shutter: 1/125sec
Apeture: F14
Photo Effect: B&W

I wish i took the photo @ 1600x1200, my wallpaper is a bit expanded now :/

the photo was taken at a vine yard near Mudgee West North West of Sydney :)

btw.. copyright (c) 2003 and if ur going to use it, please PM me first :) :D and sorry for the long post.. kinda bored :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)