Best tutoring colleges (1 Viewer)

shsshs

HSC
Trebla said:
I personally didn't like Terry Lee. Sure, he's got these tricks up his sleeve, but I personally didn't like his attitude. He was a bit too arrogant in my opinion, and he spends like only 10 minutes on theory which involves memorising rules and recipes for solving problems more so than understanding where they came from. He then spends the rest of the 2h+ time doing exercises from his textbook which anyone could have done at home as there were worked solutions given already.
totally agreee. he was the biggest arrogant prick ive ever seen.
and he's soo greedy. i went back in the day when missed lessons were refunded and successfully doing an assingment gave you a 10% discount. Now they are gone. So that he can buy a bigger TV.
i quit after 1 term - but not before chopping down his tree with a machete.

p.s. 99/96 in 3u/4u - no thanks to him

VuongstER_boi

HSC
shsshs said:
totally agreee. he was the biggest arrogant prick ive ever seen.
and he's soo greedy. i went back in the day when missed lessons were refunded and successfully doing an assingment gave you a 10% discount. Now they are gone. So that he can buy a bigger TV.
i quit after 1 term - but not before chopping down his tree with a machete.

p.s. 99/96 in 3u/4u - no thanks to him

lol

flowergrl

HSC
Personally, I found my best tutor on tutorfinder.com.au

They've got professional tutors who make a living just tutoring. Heaps of experience with additional discounts too!!!!

There's ppl who recieved 99.95~100 there too, though I find they're not that good if they charge really low rates (cos you get what u paid for!).

I don't recommend going for tutors below $35/hr tho.

flowergrl

HSC
-maylee- said:
hey guys,

I haven't had a chance to read through the entire forum, but so far I'm a bit sceptical. Since this forum is anonymous, how do I know that you guys aren't all promoters/current tutors for a particular company? I mean it's pretty easy to *say* so and so tutoring is crap and this company is better, but don't you think it's a little bit dodgy?

I don't know, it's just that I'm looking for a tutor for my little brother and with so many varying views on a single company, it seems a bit confusing.
Mine's from experience. tutorfinder.com.au regulates all tutors and you can even review what others said of them. (they have star ratings) which they (tutors) can't regulate/delete.

I don't recmd mass tuition- it's just not personalised... if you fall behind, it's up to you to catch up.

itdonesntmatter

HSC
dont go and do tuition, its a waste of time when you could be spending it on your assignments. in primary school and cont. into yr. 7 &8 mum put me into nearly every college possible however it did nothing for my grades. in the end i just worked really hard and got above 95 in my uai anyway - all the top kids in my high school who got 99s and 98s didnt do any tuition.

its a complete waste of time - even for maths and chem - just use your teachers!!! (if you've got crap teachers that;s another case)

xsakurahanax

HSC
Mr Hall's great Maths teacher. He teachs at Chatwood's branch of North Shore. Personally, I don't like North Shore that much, but with him as Math's teacher it was worth going. He's great, like he actually teaches you stuff, not like other maths tutor I had before. He actually work from easy to hard, so that way you understand it better and you can build up your confidence. I had to go to Maths tutoring, cause the only thing that my day school's maths teaching was us was go to tafe not uni. >__>;;

carmey

HSC
Teo.Kai said:
The homework marking lolol. yeah the homework bit is really slack. --'
i didn't hand my homework in for a year and they didn't chase me up, its more of its your future so you should do the homework, and any queries just email kobskii rofl~ kobskii's explaining is alrite, just he gets a bit eccentric sometimes... or when he goes overseas and replacement tutors are just total...failures, buh there's always a few that are good~
hahah yea tipps is a bit slack with the whole hw marking they just make sure u DO the hw doesnt matter if its right ot not. But thats cuz ur sopose to email kobskii if u've got questions.

i love how kobskii teaches his so cute!! i dont really like the teacher we currently have for ext 2 though, he teaches more.. school like but i guess his okai..

haha and yea when kobskii gets a BIT eccentric its so funny rofl

what i have to say thats not that good is kobskii favours the boys more, he doesnt share his jks with the girls :( but yea..

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
I've only done minimal amounts of tutoring during primary school but I would *not* recommend North Shore in Randwick unless you're struggling with the subject. Personally I found it too easy and a waste of time but I suppose it could be good if you needed help understanding and relaying the foundation of each topic.

Mind you, this was in primary school. It's probably quite different in high school tutoring [although judging by my friend's North Shore homework, still rather easy]

carmey

HSC
dexst8r said:
anyone been to Tipps YAGOONA? who teachers there and who is shit there? planning to go there
um kobskii teaches year 12 and year 11 A classes and 4u classes only. i personally think kobskiis a really good teacher but u gotta do you hw given cuz u'll get left behind if you dont.

um they other teacher is thuy, i've never had her but apparently shes really good as well. everyones very close at tipps so yea.

btw good luck in getting in, i was like on the waiting list for so long ROFL

dexst8r

HSC
N/A
carmey said:
everyones very close at tipps so yea.
what does that mean? and who else teaches there besides thuy and kobskii?so everyone there are really good? .....if it's long waiting list and kobskii only teachers year 11 and 12 4 unit classes, is it worth going? does any1 else knows who teaches year 11 and 12 besides thuy and kobskii?

mandy-lee

HSC
.:4play:. said:
Tomatec is pretty cool, its kind of like a new school that i attend and is a tutoring centre in the weekends and after school to 6.30 i think and i think 8.00 at night on the weekends.

located in the cabramatta area lol. the teachers are the best. they have competed in the olympiads and have won a medals.
Is that PAL college?

VuongstER_boi

HSC
dexst8r said:
what does that mean? and who else teaches there besides thuy and kobskii?so everyone there are really good? .....if it's long waiting list and kobskii only teachers year 11 and 12 4 unit classes, is it worth going? does any1 else knows who teaches year 11 and 12 besides thuy and kobskii?
Personally, I thought Kobskii was um...not that great. But that's my opinion, lol. I remember having Ricky there and i think he was awesome!!

Also, the hw marking is um..pretty crap. But hey, it's $30 an hr so yeah..'

dexst8r

HSC
N/A
VuongstER_boi said:
Personally, I thought Kobskii was um...not that great. But that's my opinion, lol. I remember having Ricky there and i think he was awesome!!

Also, the hw marking is um..pretty crap. But hey, it's $30 an hr so yeah..'
whoaa.so only 2 ppl teaches there and you pay $30 per hour for just class and they dont even correct your solutions for homeword?isnt that what tutoring is supposed to be for?correcting ppl's hw with FULL SOLUTIONS as thats why ppl go to tutoring...so they can be explained?dont know if its worth going anymore....

VuongstER_boi

HSC
dexst8r said:
whoaa.so only 2 ppl teaches there and you pay $30 per hour for just class and they dont even correct your solutions for homeword?isnt that what tutoring is supposed to be for?correcting ppl's hw with FULL SOLUTIONS as thats why ppl go to tutoring...so they can be explained?dont know if its worth going anymore....
omg...lol. Sorry, it's 2 hrs!!! So its actually..um..pretty.. ok for $30 for 2 hrs.. SOrry>< my mistake.

flowergrl

HSC
hey guys,

I noticed that libraries hold 'lectures' on english aos and modules. I reckon it's a good bargain for $5.50 for two hours when the authors themselves come to explain their text in terms of the bos syllabus. Though I've never been to one, it seems worth it.

good luck for ur trials/yearlies guys!! Study hard these holidays!!

ecstasylove

HSC
seriously PRIOR was the BEST. i was there from yr 10-12 and had heaps of fun and learnt lots. they mark your work to the last decimal and it's actually challenging as opposed to working textbooks. and their workshops are so good, since you actually get to sit with a person and you can't leave until you actually understand the question and get it right, which i think is brilliant. you can also book into extra workshops at no extra cost, so if you're stuck with your homework or prior work, they're still happy to help. and there are aaaaalways tutors there, which is so convenient if you just have a quick q. it costs a bit but a small price to pay for excellent tutoring. only thing though, all the good tutors at chatswood have quit and they all say how prior's gone down the shithole, so i'd probably try my luck at bondi instead haha.

ooooh and (i don't know about now) but you used to be able to just walk into the english room and talk to them about your essays and stuff. usually they'd have nothing to do but sit there and play minesweeper anyway, and they're pretty friendly, so they were usually happy to help.

imho, i sort of saw prior as more of a friendly relaxed place as opposed to a hardcore tutoring centre, which helped me learn alot more, cuz i wasn't feeling so pressured after school/on the weekends. maths there was just a bunch of friends getting together and learning without it being super gay (it sounds gay). and pretty much all the tutors ended up being your friends as well. they also have an end of year event (usually including luna park and a boat) which, although lame, is a nice touch from rob.

off-topic, but there are like 50 rumours surrounding prior + rob + murray. apparently murray was robs cleaner for like 30 years and he was such a good employee that rob made him the manager of chatswood. and as legend has it, rob does not own a TV, is unmarried (verified true), and has a penchant for michael jackson. he also possibly only owns 1 outfit, which i have personally seen him wear numerous times, even to the end of year event thingie.

lindaguo

HSC
There are some great ones and some terrible ones. By the way what do youall think about the older ones like Preuni, James an and Nth shore??

Are they as terrible as people say?

Aznmichael92

HSC
dexst8r said:
dont know if its a bit late but prices have gone up, its $20 an hour. The teacher does go through some of the questions on how to do it. If you dont understand, they will explain it to you. They also sometimes give solution sheets for u to see.

I think the main teachers in senior years(11 & 12) are thuy and kobskii. In the lower years you have like Judy, Jane, Sharon, Mary, Andrew etc. Quite a lot actually.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lindaguo said:
There are some great ones and some terrible ones. By the way what do youall think about the older ones like Preuni, James an and Nth shore??

Are they as terrible as people say?
I go north shore for 3u maths and english.

Stay for the math.

Leave for the english.

Anyone know any GOOD physics places?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)