Best uni for maths (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
P.S. If you look at the curriculum, a typical math degree at UTS has striking similarities to an industrial engineering degree (which is not available as an engineering major in Australia) although the mathematics and finance degree is probably different.

You should seriously consider adding USYD to the list if you're interested in financial mathematics as it is listed as a specific major (Financial Mathematics and Statistics).
Nah screw financial maths. Economics and finance are boring af

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
QS Rankings 2016 for Mathematics (best of the Australian Universities):

21 ANU
34 Melbourne
38 Sydney
51-100 Monash, UNSW, Queensland

This might be a silly question but do ACT students do the same curriculum as the NSW students? or do they have their own curriculum?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
QS Rankings 2016 for Mathematics (best of the Australian Universities):

21 ANU
34 Melbourne
38 Sydney
51-100 Monash, UNSW, Queensland

This might be a silly question but do ACT students do the same curriculum as the NSW students? or do they have their own curriculum?
yup same curriculum

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
how in the world is USYD's maths good, they make so many errors in their resources which confuses the heck out of me.
Bit hard to judge when you've been in uni for one month.

There's a reason why USYD's top maths students all go to Cambridge/Princeton etc and/or land some of the highest paying jobs in the world.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Bit hard to judge when you've been in uni for one month.

There's a reason why USYD's top maths students all go to Cambridge/Princeton etc and/or land some of the highest paying jobs in the world.
True. I'm just frustrated because I bombed my maths quizzes. :/

FlyingKanga

HSC
What maths courses are you doing?

If you have any questions post in the extra-curricular section. Some one will be able to answer it.
Math1001/1002!

A large number of people usually fail their first calculus quiz at USYD.
I can see why. There was always something fundamentally harder in the quiz. Like when finding the polar exponential form, the angle I calculated wasn't divisible by pi. When doing polynomial long division to find all roots, there was a remainder and I had no idea what to do with it.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge about the following degrees and their respective unis? I'd be interested to see which you think is the best, keeping in mind that my closest uni is definitely Wollongong (about 40 minutes drive) and I am considering a career in the 'behind-the-scenes' world of finance using maths to solve financial problems.

Also, if you have any information about industry links, lecturers, university life, scholarships etc. that would be greatly appreciated. The degrees are:

- BACHELOR OF MATHEMATICS AND FINANCE (HONOURS) (DEAN'S SCHOLAR) (University of Wollongong)
- BACHELOR OF MATHEMATICS ADVANCED (University of Wollongong)
- ADVANCED MATHEMATICS (UNSW)
- BACHELOR OF MATHEMATICS AND FINANCE (UTS)

Thanks very much for any feedback, it's much appreciated.
I am doing the Bachelor of Mathematics Advanced at UOW, it is a small class but they get you doing second year pretty well straight up. So if you are after a challenge. The main reason I chose it because UOW generally has good employment prospects compared with other universities. There are scholarships as well. (There is also the advanced mathematics degree at USyd). Although USyd is very reputable (I personally didn't want to go the UNSW)

Last edited:

Silly Sausage

HSC
Is that accredited to the difficulty of the quizzes?
Difficulty can be a factor.
Consider this: Each quiz is worth 15% and usually has 15 questions (some have sub questions), you have 40 minutes to complete it. No marks for working out, only the final answer is marked. Now the content isn't very hard, it's usually how you manage your time in these exams and make the most of your spare time to check up on your answers since you won't get marks for working out.

Not to mention pratice quizzes at USYD can be misleading and the actual quiz may focus on other areas not covered in the practice quiz.

FlyingKanga

HSC
Difficulty can be a factor.
Consider this: Each quiz is worth 15% and usually has 15 questions (some have sub questions), you have 40 minutes to complete it. No marks for working out, only the final answer is marked. Now the content isn't very hard, it's usually how you manage your time in these exams and make the most of your spare time to check up on your answers since you won't get marks for working out.

Not to mention pratice quizzes at USYD can be misleading and the actual quiz may focus on other areas not covered in the practice quiz.
Actually in the 1001 quiz, each question was worth 3 marks and 1 of those marks was for working out. Oh and it was 10 questions!

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
I am doing the Bachelor of Mathematics Advanced at UOW, it is a small class but they get you doing second year pretty well straight up. So if you are after a challenge. The main reason I chose it because UOW generally has good employment prospects compared with other universities. There are scholarships as well. (There is also the advanced mathematics degree at USyd). Although USyd is very reputable (I personally didn't want to go the UNSW)
Why does UOW have good employment prospects compared to other universities?

Have you considered majors and program structure?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Why does UOW have good employment prospects compared to other universities?

Have you considered majors and program structure?
Not exactly sure, just went off the good universities guide. It depends you can obviously get different stats for different uni

- Highest number of star ratings in the 2016 Good Universities Guide
- Highest percentage across the key 12 categories on QILT 2015
- Awarded the 2015 Australian Financial Review Higher Education Award for graduate employability

Possibly, it might have to do with links with industry, I am not too sure.

In terms of course satisfaction, generally speaking it seems to perform well, https://universityreviews.com.au/course-ratings-by-students/

I also liked the uni when I went to open day.

I liked the course, because it gets you doing 2nd year up front, bypassing a lot of the repeat material that is sometimes covered in first year (I have one first year subject this session that covers the rest)

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Not exactly sure, just went off the good universities guide. It depends you can obviously get different stats for different uni

- Highest number of star ratings in the 2016 Good Universities Guide
- Highest percentage across the key 12 categories on QILT 2015
- Awarded the 2015 Australian Financial Review Higher Education Award for graduate employability

Possibly, it might have to do with links with industry, I am not too sure.

In terms of course satisfaction, generally speaking it seems to perform well, https://universityreviews.com.au/course-ratings-by-students/

I also liked the uni when I went to open day.

I liked the course, because it gets you doing 2nd year up front, bypassing a lot of the repeat material that is sometimes covered in first year (I have one first year subject this session that covers the rest)
Your proof has uncertainty and lacks rigour, so it failed to convince me.

Yes, you can get different stats for different universities, but you haven't differentiated UOW from other competing universities. Why do those specific awards make UOW trump other universities?

The course satisfaction link you gave me is dependent on all courses offered by the university. Mathematics and statistics courses are a proper subset of this set, so course satisfaction in these courses will have a marginal effect on the total satisfaction. How is this and your opinion of liking UOW relevant to employment prospects?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)