Best uni for MBBS (1 Viewer)

Khayne0

HSC
hey guys
i was just woundering what is the best school for undergraduate medicine (MBBS course).
And what are some of your experiences from these unis?
thanks guys
:sun:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Make sure you go to UNSW. The other courses like Newcastle, UWS are not recognised, so you could do a 5 year degree and then when you apply for a job as a doctor, they wont take you as your degree is not recognised.

Also, UNSW fees are the cheapest and you get your fees back at the end of your degree because the state government is rebating all the fees for doctors.

One last thing is that if you go to a worse university for medicine, I hear it can also affect your pay rates.

So be careful, and only apply to UNSW.

Khayne0

HSC
thanks for that,
yer i was looking at applying for UNSW, then UWS, and UNCLE as a last resort. i thought that the program at UWS was alright, do you study med?
and that stuff about the fees i didnt now that so thanks, lol.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
thanks for that,
yer i was looking at applying for UNSW, then UWS, and UNCLE as a last resort. i thought that the program at UWS was alright, do you study med?
and that stuff about the fees i didnt now that so thanks, lol.
Dude, he's not serious. He's trolling. Wait for a serious opinion. Unfortunately i have no knowledge of the MBBS course.

lizajane91

HSC
I havent started uni yet but ive had interviews at MONASH, UNSW, JCU and UNCLE. Ive researched them all heavily and even though each may have a slightly different focus (ie JCU for rural med) they have all been successfully accredited and will all provide you with a MBBS degree to eventually become a doctor. What you need to look at is not prestige, but the lifestyle the uni can provide and if it suits you, distance, cost of living etc etc.. And from experience every med student will say their uni is the best!

Okay heres some things to think about...

*If you study at an interstate uni (ie JCU) you will get QLD medical registration which means you have to pay an annual fee if you were to practice in NSW etc. (this is only a minor problem though!)

*You also have a lower chance of getting an internship in NSW if you studied in a dif state (difficult but not impossible)

*Different MBBS courses are different lengths..so if you prefer a 5 year course to a six year course, UNSW might not be the place for you (id personally prefer a very long course so im confident when i graduate)

* You need to look at the course structure! UNSW/MONASH/UNCLE for example have scenario based learning. This is better for those who are better at self directed learning. JCU however, is more traditional, it systematically teaches different systems. Starting from the molecular stuff and continuing to focus on the different aspects of the body etc etc. This is better for those who like to memorise or be "spoon fed".

okay i hope that helps, ill add more if anything comes to mind! Good Luck:spin:

runnable

HSC
There are arguments about that. Top med school is meant to be Johns Hopkins.
Not quite true. An Associate Professor (for Bio I think) at Johns Hopkins told me the uni is 2nd to Harvard for medicine.

ajaxandacme

HSC
*If you study at an interstate uni (ie JCU) you will get QLD medical registration which means you have to pay an annual fee if you were to practice in NSW etc. (this is only a minor problem though!)

*You also have a lower chance of getting an internship in NSW if you studied in a dif state (difficult but not impossible)
Actually, if you go to study in a different state, but did the HSC, you will be considered on the same level as those who graduated from university in NSW. It's after the year of internship that you will be registered with the state's medical board and after that, I don't think you need to pay a fee. Though this may be different for QLD moving down to NSW after their internship.

Khayne0

HSC
I havent started uni yet but ive had interviews at MONASH, UNSW, JCU and UNCLE. Ive researched them all heavily and even though each may have a slightly different focus (ie JCU for rural med) they have all been successfully accredited and will all provide you with a MBBS degree to eventually become a doctor. What you need to look at is not prestige, but the lifestyle the uni can provide and if it suits you, distance, cost of living etc etc.. And from experience every med student will say their uni is the best!

Okay heres some things to think about...

*Different MBBS courses are different lengths..so if you prefer a 5 year course to a six year course, UNSW might not be the place for you (id personally prefer a very long course so im confident when i graduate)

* You need to look at the course structure! UNSW/MONASH/UNCLE for example have scenario based learning. This is better for those who are better at self directed learning. JCU however, is more traditional, it systematically teaches different systems. Starting from the molecular stuff and continuing to focus on the different aspects of the body etc etc. This is better for those who like to memorise or be "spoon fed".

okay i hope that helps, ill add more if anything comes to mind! Good Luck:spin:
hey thanks alot lizajane that was heaps helpful.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You get the same degree from any of the universities and I'm sure you'll do very similar units with the correct experience and practice.

lizajane91

HSC
hey thanks alot lizajane that was heaps helpful.
No worries! I noticed you said you are from Orange? well im from cowra, so if you have any questions on how to apply through the rural entry streams, just ask!

Khayne0

HSC
No worries! I noticed you said you are from Orange? well im from cowra, so if you have any questions on how to apply through the rural entry streams, just ask!
hey, yer i did, really, thats heaps cool, lol
if you have anything information that would be heaps good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)