Best University for Mathematics (1 Viewer)

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

In your opinion what is the best university for mathematics (I currently know of UOW vs. UNSW vs. USYD vs. ANU vs. UNCLE)?
Is some of them better for pure mathematics, others applied and some statistics?
Or is there one overall winner?

Thanks

frog1944

HSC
Hahaha, does it have a good course? Is it difficult?

pHyRe

HSC
Basically, overall - UNSW is the best

as usual unbiased and reasoned

to OP, just listen to anyone except shadowdude

both unsw/usyd are great unis, can't go wrong. don't know much about the rest like ANU. pick it more on things like the vibe, people you know/think you might like, location and just where you can see really enjoying learning for several years.

I do financial mathematics and statistics at usyd, ask me about any specific questions if that interests you at all. i've heard really good things about adv pure maths at usyd too, especially for the top students with SSP, TSP opportunities

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Have had many years of experience at both usyd (did my BSc Adv Math and honours there) and ANU (have been doing my Phd in pure math here for the last few years, and have taught and observed various undergrad courses).

They are both strong programs and turn out many fine graduates to both research and industry. For what it is worth, I think the undergraduate pure math courses at ANU are more challenging than those at usyd, but of course some of the later courses are available at one uni that aren't at the other, based on the specialties of lecturers.

From my experience these are two of the highest quality undergrad programs in the country when it comes to producing research quality students who go on to get postgrad positions at strong universities (the US being the typical destination).

Of course, this might not be your goal at all, or it might be far too early in your education to even know. That is why it is not so important that you choose the "best" program (if such a thing exists), and rather just choose a strong program with lots of flexibility in courses so you can explore your passions and see what you actually want to do. Keep in mind you can also transfer from one to another for your honours year, which several unsw students did to usyd in my cohort.

I have interacted less with people in applied math and stats and as such am less qualified to make claims about the comparative quality of those departments.

Note: I do not think that unsw is a bad university at all, but from memory I was not a fan of their structuring of the pure undergrad courses. Some big topics in analysis were lumped together and consequently given a more perfunctory treatment that my comparison point of usyd. Perhaps a matter of taste, but anyway, this is why it is important you talk to several people about this. And if you are a sufficiently driven and motivated student, you shouldn't be too constrained by the courses you take anyway.

Last edited:

pHyRe

HSC
Have had many years of experience at both usyd (did my BSc Adv Math and honours there) and ANU (have been doing my Phd in pure math here for the last few years, and have taught and observed various undergrad courses).

They are both strong programs and turn out many fine graduates to both research and industry. For what it is worth, I think the undergraduate pure math courses at ANU are more challenging than those at usyd, but of course some of the later courses are available at one uni that aren't at the other, based on the specialties of lecturers.

From my experience these are two of the highest quality undergrad programs in the country when it comes to producing research quality students who go on to get postgrad positions at strong universities (the US being the typical destination).

Of course, this might not be your goal at all, or it might be far too early in your education to even know. That is why it is not so important that you choose the "best" program (if such a thing exists), and rather just choose a strong program with lots of flexibility in courses so you can explore your passions and see what you actually want to do. Keep in mind you can also transfer from one to another for your honours year, which several unsw students did to usyd in my cohort.

I have interacted less with people in applied math and stats and as such am less qualified to make claims about the comparative quality of those departments.

Note: I do not think that unsw is a bad university at all, but from memory I was not a fan of their structuring of the pure undergrad courses. Some big topics in analysis were lumped together and consequently given a more perfunctory treatment that my comparison point of usyd. Perhaps a matter of taste, but anyway, this is why it is important you talk to several people about this. And if you are a sufficiently driven and motivated student, you shouldn't be too constrained by the courses you take anyway.
really great post!

i kinda agree with that for stats at unsw. it sounds like teaching there is a touch better but i quite like the resources we get at usyd and the structuring of the courses and degree makes a lot more sense to me

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hahaha, does it have a good course? Is it difficult?
well what type of maths do you want

For instance, if you like... I dunno - graph theory, probably don't go to UNSW and go to like Uni Adelaide who have 1st year, 2nd year, and 3rd year graph theory courses

frog1944

HSC
I'm currently thinking pure maths. I don't really know too much about fields, though from just looking at different mathematics differential geometry and analytical continuation of functions seem interesting

seanieg89

HSC
I'm currently thinking pure maths. I don't really know too much about fields, though from just looking at different mathematics differential geometry and analytical continuation of functions seem interesting
It is far too early to know exactly what you will like, so don't base your choice of uni too much on this.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
ANU is probably the best for maths, and as is USYD, but I like studying maths at UOW; because I can.

frog1944

HSC
If I was wanting to pursue a career in pure maths though, as a professor (lecture and/or research) is it preferable to go to one uni then another?
Would things like the connections the uni has make a big difference?

si2136

HSC
N/A
If I was wanting to pursue a career in pure maths though, as a professor (lecture and/or research) is it preferable to go to one uni then another?
Would things like the connections the uni has make a big difference?
No need for connections or anything, less or minimal contact with other people.

USYD is quite good.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
ANU is probably the best for maths, and as is USYD, but I like studying maths at UOW; because I can.
locality of the university does have an impact on your choices. nobody has brought this up yet.

lol I'm one to talk I put ANU and UON on my list of choices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)