• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Best university for postgraduate studies in medicine (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
but uai is actually worth nothing, you can teach a monkey for a year how to write a particular essay and drill maths into them

you see people's true ability in uni when everyone is limited by time constraints and handling other and bigger responsibilities (like living on your own and paying bills/petrol etc)

sure it's nicer to see someone get 99.90 than 95.5 but that doesnt mean the first person is smarter or a hell lot better (academically) than the sob that got 95.5

i find it annoying when people must start comparing uai's even when they're in 3rd year uni... like, give it a rest, no one gives a shit.

kcchippy

HSC
Wow, third year uni is a bit much...you'd think people would be over the UAI by then. Especially since I only did the HSC this year and I pretty much noone talks about the UAI anymore...it seemed to be a fascination for about a week or so. However, outside of getting into a course, it hardly seems a measure of academic merit/prestige.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
velox said:
Prestige, as in the marks required to gain entry into that course. More like academic prestige i guess.
for medicine ull realise soon enough the UAI/ENTER/TER is too broad to describe ppl with... ppl with 98 with drop out.. and ppl with 93 will stay in and graduate..

prestige wise... most ppl compare with the quality of graduates and their work.. not the entry.. cos it aint over till u graduate :)

this is flawed as undergraduates will realise.. v.good researchers (imagine Rainman) are shit teachers.. other ppl compare by the age of the institution, size or nobel laurates in faculty or are graduates (this is kinda linked to age.. so flawed again)

for those that do .. i say find a place tat suits ure goals.. or then just work for them if ure at another place.. :)
i think prestiage is overkill when i was in yr 11 (2002), a usyd grad and registrar.. told me to aim for newcastle.. she was more impressed by tat intern than the UNSW or Usyd one at the time.
this was a USYD Clinical hospital :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)