Best way to finish notes during two week holidays? (1 Viewer)

deathpool87

HSC
N/A
I am looking to finish all of my notes for all of my subjects during the holidays. I have ancient history, legal studies, IPT and business studies to do notes for.

I was wondering what is the best way to do all of the years work in these two weeks and how should i do it. I was thinking of just sitting down for hours highlighting then typing up the notes or spend one day highlighting and one day taking notes.any ideas or help is greatly apreciated

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Break it down..

You have 2 weeks
- 14 days
- 336 hours.

So for an example you do 4 topic of IPT a day, so you could do 2 hour per topic thus 8 hours for IPT in a day.

You do the same for the rest of your subjects

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I partially agree with what Rhinoz is saying, but i don't recommend doing your notes on a time/efficiency orientated basis. Take time reading and making notes in your own words and ensure that they are of a high quality so you can make maximum use of them come exam time. Rushing your notes will only get you so far in the end, doing them just to "have them done" kind of defeats the purpose of notes all together really.

Quality > Time/Quantity

swagmeister

HSC
I agree with Katsumi, there is no point rushing because they will either end up not that good quality or way to long because you can't work out what to cut down. For business I would suggest buying someone else's notes then modifying them slightly, that's what I'm doing and it is working well. For IPT though I reckon that it is almost a bit harder because there are heaps of small details and it is not self explanatory really (except social and ethical issues). Honestly cause it is two weeks I would suggest maybe try to get 3/4 of the notes done for the year, I doubt you will be able to do them all well. If you haven't done any yet then you are only probably going to get through 1/2 max but I am assuming you had done at least a little bit before half yearlies. Hope this helps :)

klee98

HSC
I beg the differ.
Taking down notes is equally as important as doing questions. Note taking needs to be fast and all it does is to help you remember the concepts right. Do not waste your whole two weeks reading and typing words out. Trust me that's exactly what I did. And it's no where near as beneficial as you'd think.

What you need to do is pick a topic/ chapter you want to work on. Tackle it, by extracting knowledge from textbooks and then quickly jot it down by dot points. Don't waste you time beyond that, quickly jab into past question from HSC or trials. If you see an interesting question annotate it on your notes so that you can refer back. Tweak and change you notes while working with those questions. After you feel confident with a topic move on to the next topic.
Face it, two weeks is definitely not enough to make notes for the whole syllabus and expect to remember it. Do what I've mentioned even after the holidays and you'll be set for your trials.

[TLDR] Don't waste your two weeks writing down notes!!!!

astroman

HSC
use someone else's notes and just use the time to do past papers and further study, notes should be completed before half yearlies.

swagmeister

HSC
Tbh i didn't complete my notes until the week before trials.
I think he is meaning for the first half of content. Cause tbh I think there is no point working that that far ahead and finishing all the content at such as basic level, you are better off diving in and getting to know it better.

iStudent

HSC
I think he is meaning for the first half of content. Cause tbh I think there is no point working that that far ahead and finishing all the content at such as basic level, you are better off diving in and getting to know it better.
This is starting to get off topic, but working ahead is actually very important. You'll know what I mean when you get to trials and you realise you have so so much to cover (and write notes + do past papers) for.

As for how... well it depends on how much you've done already. Imo, no point highlighting. Just write your notes. And type your notes rather than handwrite it. Don't worry if it's too long right now - you can always cut it down later (my notes were quite long - what I did was when it was closer to the exams, I highlighted the bits I wasn't 100% confident on and focused on those). So yea, concentrate on getting all the important bits in your notes.

That's what I did anyway.

Last edited:

swagmeister

HSC
This is starting to get off topic, but working ahead is actually very important. You'll know what I mean when you get to trials and you realise you have so so much to cover (and write notes + do past papers) for.

As for how... well it depends on how much you've done already. Imo, no point highlighting. Just write your notes. And type your notes rather than handwrite it. Don't worry if it's too long right now - you can always cut it down later (my notes were quite long - what I did was when it was closer to the exams, I highlighted the bits I wasn't 100% confident on and focused on those). So yea, concentrate on getting all the important bits in your notes.

That's what I did anyway.
But I mean, how far is to far ahead? I could see working ahead now that half yearlies are done, for bus, IPT, math and eco I am going to try and finish most of the content in the holidays so I can focus on practicing (esp. essays for bus and eco). However, I don't really see much point working to far ahead before half yearlies cause you should be focusing your time on what you will be assessed on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)