Best way to study for CAFS (1 Viewer)

nectarine

HSC
Hi what's the best method you'd recommend to study for CAFS? Do you recommend writing notes as well as doing past papers (and getting feedback from it)?? Also what are your thoughts on acronyms?? Many thanks :)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey :) I do CAFS as well and I understand it can be hard to study due to all the content. I study by doing both notes and past papers. Throughout the term, I summarise my notes by using the textbook, for example. This is a life saver closer to exam time. Might not work for you but use but print the topic on the Syllabus as you go. Closer to exam time, I try and do practice papers e.g. I go through the past papers, pick out questions from relevant topics and practice answering them. Sample responses are also good to look at - these show what the markers are looking for. My teacher says what gets you from band 5-->6 is using plenty of real-life examples in your responses. I personally haven't learnt any acronyms, except this one for answering an extended response question:
D - define
E - explain
A - analyse
L - link
I'm assuming you're in year 11? Nonetheless, if you need any assistance with anything CAFS related... I am always happy to help with exams, irp etc.

Hope this helps & good luck!! :)

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

nectarine

HSC
Hi laura-jayne14 thank you so much for your post! I'm actually in year 12 but I'm finding that i have to do a lot of learning the coursework in my own time as my teacher isn't the best at teaching everything in the syllabus... Do you also have any textbook recommendations? I'm currently using Excel and Exploring Cafs

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I am using Nelson Community and Family Studies mainly. I have the excel study guide too. Googling CAFS textbooks is good too - I found Pearsons and Exploring CAFS online in PDF format. Have you done your IRP yet? How'd you go? What are your marks in CAFS like? :)

nectarine

HSC
Ok I'll definitely check out Nelsons and Pearsons then :) Yeah i did my IRP and got 91% for it..my marks are always in the low 90s ><". how are your marks going? have you done your IRP too?

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
It sounds like you have nothing to worry about! What was your IRP on? I just handed mine in last Friday, yay! I am in the 90's too! :)

bec3

HSC
Hi what's the best method you'd recommend to study for CAFS? Do you recommend writing notes as well as doing past papers (and getting feedback from it)?? Also what are your thoughts on acronyms?? Many thanks :)
1) Study
I used to make full, comprehensive notes on everything I knew. Then I'd cut them down to a page or 2 per topic, and finally before exam day they'd be on small flashcards. This condenses your knowledge well so you learn everything. Work from your syllabus. Know it back to front, it's the ultimate cheat sheet. Give everything an acronym where you can! Which leads me to 2
2) Acronyms
They are fabulous especially when you're sitting your final exam. I remember last year that they were an amazing memory jogger and gave you an idea on what to write about. ( heck I still use SLEDAGE at uni!)
3) textbooks
I actually used the excel one but only minimally. It's good for an overview. However if your teacher isn't to crash hot then yep the Nielsen book is great. There's another one too, I'll edit if I remember the name.
4) past papers
Good call for doing them. I'd suggest however that multiple choice doesnt need that much practice on a past paper at the moment. Focus more on the short and long responses. I used to do a past hsc paper response per week and it was SO helpful. Remember to answer the question, explain your point, give an example and LINK IT BACK to the question (pretty much the same as that DEAL model I've heard about)

Congratulations on your fantastic marks! You should be very proud of them :)

EDIT: The Kim Mitchell book is awesome. Google cafs textbook and it's the second one that comes up on images.

Last edited:

grace_cm

HSC
N/A
Need help picking an IRP topic!! wanted something to do with healthy eating/ health/ fitness etc but cant think of a specific topic!

angelinag

HSC
Hi, would you please mind if you could upload the CAFS textbooks!

Can't find any of them online :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)