Best way to study for Comm @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Are the most effective studying methods similar to HSC methods? For example, should we be making condensed notes on each chapter and revising these before exams? Also, the tutorial questions only require you to know a fraction of what's in each chapter - are they assuming we know all other questions outside the tutorial work as well?

Any guidance would be appreciated - I don't want to wait until after the first exams to realise that i've been studying the wrong way or the wrong information...

IronMike

HSC
N/A
what i did for my first yr is
i got the lecture note and wrote notes on them from the book.
so instead of writing out notes in my excersie book, i just added various other points in the book to the lecture notes and studied that.
summarising each chapter is good but unrealistic. if you have all the time in the world..go for it..otherwise just skim read your prescribed textbook and add on couple of points or eleborate on important points.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
IronMike said:
what i did for my first yr is
i got the lecture note and wrote notes on them from the book.
so instead of writing out notes in my excersie book, i just added various other points in the book to the lecture notes and studied that.
summarising each chapter is good but unrealistic. if you have all the time in the world..go for it..otherwise just skim read your prescribed textbook and add on couple of points or eleborate on important points.
Did that method turn out alright?

tempco

HSC
That's what my brother did for economics and he had a D average.

Acid

HSC
Thanks. So does that mean we need to know the info outside tutorial questions in detail?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Usually, in first year, they still tend to spoonfeed what you really need to know for exams. In accounting, you have to know basically EVERYTHING they teach you because everything relates in some way, and final exam questions (the big ones) tend to mix different weeks worth of work.
Economics...its all about the principles and concepts. Make notes on whatever you feel is important - half the exam is multiple choice basically, so definitions can be important.
QMA, well, its just maths, study it like you did in high school.

A tip: Your lectures notes provide strong hints on what you need to study - if something isn't in your lecture notes, it probably wont be examined.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Go to lectures
Do tutorial homework before
Go to tutorials
Do readings of textbook and summarise

Worked for me in first year, just shy of a HD average

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
Go to lectures
Do tutorial homework before
Go to tutorials
Do readings of textbook and summarise

Worked for me in first year, just shy of a HD average
yeah, I'm doing dot point notes on the outlines.

It just doesn't feel right if I just read :S

HD averages can be done and I'll prove you all wrong!:D

Juddy2250

Soon to retire...
HSC
This is the course im looking at getting into next year. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for getting in.
Thanks in advance
Michael

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Juddy2250 said:
This is the course im looking at getting into next year. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for getting in.
Thanks in advance
Michael
Start believing in karma. You only get what you give. Give enough time for study, and your results will reflect that. And no, I don't buy any of that people are born stupid crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)