Best way to transfer to Veterinary Science? (1 Viewer)

icesta1

HSC
What is the best way to transfer to Veterinary Science?
Bachelor of Science? Bachelor of Veterinary Bioscience? I'm so confused!

Also if I was to enter Bachelor of Science what electives should I be choosing?

justjared

HSC
N/A
I was at the lecture today.

They're saying you should do Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Bioscience...depending on what you think will get you a higher GPA. They said today they STAT/GPA is weighted 50/50 so it is important you do good in both. Also, they score your Commitment statement out of 10 as opposed to Year 12 students- (they're either satisfactory/not satisfactory).

It is quite competitive as there are only 48 places for transfers

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Did they mention what gpa you need at the open day yesterday? I know they say a distinction average, but what gpa is that specially? Or do they use WAM? And just see your above 75?
From memory, USYD don't use GPAs so you would be looking at a WAM of 75+.

boris

Banned
HSC
1. be smart
2. get atleast all Ds

GivenTake110

HSC
N/A
I've just finished 1st year of Animal Bioscience at Sydney, and its been fun since we've had time to practise our husbundary skills (to fill our statements;) but its been hard work. I'm hoping to transfer.

I know faculty of science uses WAM, and on the USYD website they state:
"
The University of Sydney does not use the grade point average system (GPA) for calculating average marks."
so there you go! the WAM calculator helps though, I found my WAM dropped a mark when it was weighted :(
http://sydney.edu.au/science/cstudent/ug/wam.shtml

Last edited:

GivenTake110

HSC
N/A
So does he vet faculty use wam? And is it weighted so ie, do second year subjects have more weight than first year etc
Well I'm guessing they do (use WAM), since the University doesnt use GPA. Not sure if there is any difference in weighing, but if you use that link above that I posted, you might find out. My WAM (weighted average) vs the raw average of my marks was different by just 1 mark...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)