Best/Worst Novel (1 Viewer)

cuivienen

HSC
Best Book: The Lord of the Rings or The Silmarillion by J.R.R.Tolkien *gush* I just can't choose...

Worst Book: So far, it has to be *drum roll* Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (shit that sucked)...The Gothicism was lame, and the last coincidence makes it a very unsuccessful story...

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
cuivienen said:
Best Book: The Lord of the Rings or The Silmarillion by J.R.R.Tolkien *gush* I just can't choose...
as a big tolkien fan i can understand the lord of the rings but the silmarillion???

don't get me wrong, as a work of myth making its monumental but i found it one of the most difficult books to read.

apparently, when it was released, it was the most preordered book in history but i'd bet that most of those people didn't get more than half way through. its a book for true believers only.

i much preferred unfinished tales.

mayhemily

HSC
lol the silmarilion. Ok its fair to say I read LOTR for the first time when I was in year 4... but I have never even attempted to read the silmarilion. I have it in nice bound leather form but seriously, its way way way to long winded for me to bother with. And my dad told me it doesn't even end or something? I hate it when authors do that... cough cough isobelle carmody and the obernewtyn series.

cuivienen

HSC
grendel said:
i much preferred unfinished tales.
I loved The Silmarillion...Its connections to Norse Mythology I know have been part of some criticism...But I've read it more than once to get a full appreciation of it...I'm a fan of mythology, so that may be the reason I enjoyed it so much...

Unfinished Tales is fantastic too (gives a wider view to the Sil), and so are the whole History of Middle Earth volumes *meep* I should edit my post and state "Everything by Tolkien" hehe...

HSC
Loz#1 said:
The good thing about the Board of Studies giving us books like that to study is that there are movies to watch and entertain us more. Though everything, including the film, was shit.
i think Emma was a rather clever outlet for Jane Austen to portray her criticisms of the follies bimbos usually possess

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Best:
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
The HitchHiker's guide to the galaxy (douglas adams),
The lord of the flies by William Golding
A song of Ice and Fire by .. forgotten...
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Da Vinci Code; Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Worst:
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

errmmm... I usually read books three or four times to get their messages, so I see some good in all of them. The catch 22 thing is because I couldn't get into it at all..

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
just keeping this thread alive

Best:
everyone who wrote Lotr- yeah it was great..but i dunno..i kinda liked the Hobbit more...i kinda got annoyed with the amount of poems/songs in Lotr..
Perfume- Patrick Suskind
The Bartimaeus Trilogy- Jonathon Stroud
Worst:
most books that we're forced to read in school..some were
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
A Cage of Butterflies- Brian Caswell
An Imaginary Life- David Malouf

dancegal

HSC
BEST:

- Saving Francesca by Melina marchetta. Who wants mr darcy when you can have will trombal? ;) :p
- 1984 by orwell
- brave new world by orwell
- the thorn birds by colleen mcCullough
- to kill a mockingbird by harper lee
- mrs dalloway by Virginia woolf
- killing aurora by Helen barnes
- del del by victor kelleher
- fight club by Chuck Palahniuk.
- king lear. Hahaha im such a nerd. Even though it was my hsc text I actually really like it.

WORST:

- the only thing I hate is anything by jane austen. The only book worse than pride and prejudice is persuasion.

SitDownStandUp

HSC
N/A
hmmmmmmmm,

Best:
Red Sorghum- Mo Yan
1984- George Orwell
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams :p
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night- Mark Haddon

Worst:
Sister Kate- Jean Beford :(
The Catastrophist- Ronan Bennett :mad:

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Best: Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Worst: ............nothing really comes to mind...

mayhemily

HSC
the worst book i have ever read was an english text in year 11. Cant remember what it was called, but it was Australian, main character was Paul, a selfish loser that played piano... Maybe it was by Peter Goldsworthy? MAESTRO thats it. Horrible.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
best:
[usually, i forget what happens after i finish a book...very forgetful. these are books i remember are good]
- the obernewton chronicles by isobelle carmody
- da vinci code by dan brown [i want to read his other books now! but the weird thing about me is that i'd prefer to buy books, rather than borrow them. which is why i don't read much, i'm too broke to buy many books]
- twisted by _____ [ i can't remember his name. i actually have the book, but i can't be bothered looking for it. it starts with J i think, and its the same guy who wrote 'garden of beasts' though i haven't read that. i think he also wrote 'the bone collector' which was made into a movie starring angelina jolie and denzil washington [i suck at spelling] . twisted is a collection of thriller short stories. entertaining. 'without jonathon' is the best one of it. the others were pretty good. and there was one i didn't think was that good, but it still managed to be disturbing. like, it affected the reader even though i didn't think it was that good]
- ok...that's all i can remember.... erm...how embarrassing
- i used to love R.L.Stine's Fear st books. they were cool, but now it's pretty lame. since those book are for younger readers and the twist is always the person you least expect. so you've come to expect the unexpected.

worst:
- basically anything the school gives us to read
- those cheap books you find in kamrt or target. you know, those ones that you've never heard the title before, or the author before. its like, generally, don't bother.

Ellie-Bee

HSC
i didn't like the book 'my place' by sally morgan. but that just may be because i had to study it for the hsc! lol.

allinuse

HSC
:burn: Cloudstreet - worst book I have ever touched and attempted to read, I think I got up to about page twenty before I realised what a gaylord Tim Winton is with his dumbass pony tail and shiz.

sociopath

HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
i didn't like the book 'my place' by sally morgan. but that just may be because i had to study it for the hsc! lol.
worst.book.EVER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)