• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

biased teachers (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
my school had a pretty good marking method for english (because its so interpretive, no defined right or wrong)
there was 3 adv classes right (one boys, one girls, one 3u)
so what they did, the 3u teacher marked ours, our teacher marked the boys, and the boys teacher marked 3u's...then they got together and fiddled with the marks if one group was excessively higher than the others.
the other subjects where there were multiple classes (ie general maths), each teacher would mark their own class (with the answers agreed upon by all teachers), but any time a teacher decided to give half marks for something or they found a prob with the question or whatever, each class had to have the same privaleges
we have 2 or 3 advanced classes 2, but just one teacher marks them all so the marks are meant to be even ( although this process takes along time so u have to wait 4eva for ur marks like 10 weeks) but the teacher can still be biased coz our names are on them

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Not that I have read everything here but your teachers have to justify their marks according to the assessment rubric *and* marking criteria that you should have access to (before if its an assessment or after if its an exam-the exam should have a rubric-"students will.....")
In a criteria based reference system (ie the HSC), there is no room for interpretive/creative marking. ie it doesnt exist!
Hope this helps.....
SH

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by snapperhead
Not that I have read everything here but your teachers have to justify their marks according to the assessment rubric *and* marking criteria that you should have access to (before if its an assessment or after if its an exam-the exam should have a rubric-"students will.....")
In a criteria based reference system (ie the HSC), there is no room for interpretive/creative marking. ie it doesnt exist!
Hope this helps.....
SH
but for like the extended respose questions in the hsc, sometimes like 2 markers mark it right and there is difference betweenthe marks because of like interpreatstions and stuff

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *girl04*
but for like the extended respose questions in the hsc, sometimes like 2 markers mark it right and there is difference betweenthe marks because of like interpreatstions and stuff
Yes things are double marked but we hae to operate within a discrepancy mark (this year it was 2 marks difference out of 20). If papers were discrepant, the two markers were sat down and they had to justify *according to the criteria* why they gave the mark they gave. The discrepancies were picked up by the senior marker who virtually marked everything, so theyw ould pick you up as well! (I was only picked up one by the SM cause I gave something 18 and he gave it 16 but it meant that it sat in two different marking bands so we had to "chat"- I won!)
Hence the importance of crieria and following the criteria.ie there is no room for interpretation if they are used properly

If you (not you girl04) feel so badly done by, use the criteria first to see if the marks are right-you have to be objective here- and then see the marker with the criteria..

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
my bio class is exactly like that ...there is only one class and all the people on the left side of the room get the good marks hmmm
maybe i should swap places

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lol, my maths class was like that, but it wasnt specifically coz of where we sat, it was just the ones of us who did our work and stuff sat on one side, and the boys who all mucked around sat on the other, so there was kinda like this invisible line drawn down the middle.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
actually yeah that is like my eco class now but its not MARKED differently..the results are different for sure but its not due to the marking i dont think...there is still that habit of boys on one side and girls on the other at my skool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)