Big 4 Accounting Firms Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

dram

i do things
HSC
haha good point pete!

as far as location goes i think EY is at the bottom of the 4. just my opinion, i prefer the quay end of town.

hoppi10

HSC
Huy said:
Yeah they're all fair points. I'll admit I only have one KPMG offer and as soon as I found out that I was rejected by others, I took the best one I could (my only one!).

That said, I did apply to everywhere else and wanted to see how far I could get. It only makes sense to make a comparison and to see what is available out there rather than accept the 1st offer and that's that. But in my case, as soon as I knew where I had to be, I did the smart thing and ethical thing. For those who are still deciding, looking around, etc, they're just looking out for themselves and seeing what else is on offer - I would do the same and most would too.

There are deadlines for a reason and you've got time to decide (and can ask for more even). But what I'm really saying is that you shouldn't make it so personal since it is business and of course, competition is tough/cut-throat? (maybe I'm exaggerating there) but you know, the better man (or woman) wins and that will just inspire you to be better at the end of the day, try harder, etc.
I agree. Business is business, i was just offering a perspective. Also i wasn't referring to people who hadn't made their mind up, only people who had.

sdfjsdkl55

HSC
At the end of the day, these vacation applications are a process.
The process does not always select the best candidates, but rather improves the opportunity of choosing the best candidates.
I had did in internship at a big 4, had a grad offer from a big 4 and two mid-tiers and a bank, and I chose the mid-tier. You usually know the firm you like by the feel of it.

If you are impressed with a business card and a folder that costs $10, and going into the quiet season thing this is what work is like, you will be seriously misstaken.

Good luck everyone, but if you don't get selected, it doesnt mean your not the best candidate, but that you have to improve your resume, know how to talk the talk, (assuming u have reasonable marks), and be a decent person.

And with that improvement, you will be good enough, remember accounting is not rocket science, medicine and the like, so don't go thinking you walk on water haha.
However the experience, knowledge, growth, training and resume that you collect are the cost of this.

billbro

HSC
N/A
sdfjsdkl55 said:
At the end of the day, these vacation applications are a process.
The process does not always select the best candidates, but rather improves the opportunity of choosing the best candidates.
I had did in internship at a big 4, had a grad offer from a big 4 and two mid-tiers and a bank, and I chose the mid-tier. You usually know the firm you like by the feel of it.

If you are impressed with a business card and a folder that costs $10, and going into the quiet season thing this is what work is like, you will be seriously misstaken.

Good luck everyone, but if you don't get selected, it doesnt mean your not the best candidate, but that you have to improve your resume, know how to talk the talk, (assuming u have reasonable marks), and be a decent person.

And with that improvement, you will be good enough, remember accounting is not rocket science, medicine and the like, so don't go thinking you walk on water haha.
However the experience, knowledge, growth, training and resume that you collect are the cost of this.
I actually think your cover letter is more important than your resume for these applications. Some of the firms don't even take your resume for the applications, but they all need a cover letter. When you think about it, the cover letter is generally the first thing they see and the item that needs to make the connection/impact.

That's just what I think, don't murder me if I'm wrong.

Also, how come you are applying for vacationer positions if you've had 3 graduate offers? o_O

deakin2009

HSC
i accidently wrote deloitte on my ey cover letter...rejected in less than a day! (honestly do they think we sit there and hand type each cover letter to each firm?)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
deakin2009 said:
i accidently wrote deloitte on my ey cover letter...rejected in less than a day! (honestly do they think we sit there and hand type each cover letter to each firm?)
I had Deloitte written on my EY cover letter, but in the second paragraph.
I got an assessment centre, but rejected afterwards though.

HSC
deakin2009 said:
u think they'd look at u if u made such a dummy mistake? yes they don't expect u to write a new cl everytime but they expect u to at least write the comp/org u are applying to correctly.

deakin2009

HSC
yeah i know. but i was applying for like 10 firms in one sitting. so it was a massive cut and paste job.

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
dram said:
haha good point pete!

as far as location goes i think EY is at the bottom of the 4. just my opinion, i prefer the quay end of town.
haha please, it's in a good location..it's right near Town Hall and you can check out the hoodlums at Galaxy World on the walk back to the station after work. What more could you ask for?

I prefer EY's location to KPMG...thats in the middle of nowhere and those steps back up to the station..argh!

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
deakin2009 said:
haha that's pretty funny amateurish but hey it happens to the best of us :)

attention to detail 1 (out of 10) :p

billbro

HSC
N/A
deakin2009 said:
yeah i know. but i was applying for like 10 firms in one sitting. so it was a massive cut and paste job.
I'm sure they anticipate people to copy and paste, but you are still expected to proof read. Just use the find and replace function.

Shukie

HSC
billbro said:
My friend got rejected too, not sure if it was by mail. I'm still waiting for them, I'm guessing the recruiter will give me a call tomorrow to tell me I got rejected.

I can always hope the BA party is on another night but I doubt it xD
Umm not sure whether this is still relevant, but i got an offer from PwC tax a few weeks ago and received an invite in the mail for the vaccie celebration night for the 18th of Sept...maybe they are doing it by business lines...

Huy

HSC
N/A
spontaneous said:
is anyone doing 2 vac programs?
I don't think that is even possible? Unless you get no sleep and work in two different areas, or the time frames do not overlap.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
billbro said:
I'm sure they anticipate people to copy and paste, but you are still expected to proof read. Just use the find and replace function.
It's really funny when people forget that certain companies have names/acronyms which are also apparent in many commonly used words. For example...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Be careful with find/replacing EY.

You should have no problems with KPMG. ;)

BeeCom

HSC
I'm 99% sure in my EY application I had "Deloitte" once in there, cause I saved all my answers before I submitted them in a word document. Still got to the assessment centre though so maybe I just suck at saving my answers in a word doc.

billbro

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
It's really funny when people forget that certain companies have names/acronyms which are also apparent in many commonly used words. For example...
Not a problem unless you auto replace them all, just find the words and then click replace =P

I didn't have any problems with typing in the wrong firm, I did miss one grammar mistake in an application though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)