big 4 vs the rest cadetship (1 Viewer)

rodneymate

HSC
Hi guys so for youse that are considering pickig a big 4 firm like pwc vs a mid tier like grant thornton or bdo I have something to share.

So I got offers from ey, pwc, bdo and hall chadwick. After I asked all firms about their cadet program and asking all my friends and relatives who are involved in acccounting, have discovered the following:

Big 4 advantages
- better reputation
- looks better on resume
- more study support
- more $$$$
- better clients
- less likely to be fired I.e. greater security (my friend from hall chadwick got fired cos they had no jobs for her to do)

Non big 4 advantages
- less work because less clients, not even sure if this is advantage.

so everyone who has an option between big 4 and a medium sized firm like gt, bdo hc, pick big 4. Its better in the long term too

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Wow, what division was your friend in at HC? I'm curious seeing as I'm a new junior accountant at HC, hahaha.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think if people are applying for cadetships, they aren't really looking for the minimal amount of work for maximum amount of money- after all, the main point of the program is to accelerate your development and get an opportunity to see things you wouldn't otherwise get to see until you are a graduate thus improving your future prospects significantly.

There are a lot of other (real or perceived) benefits to working in non big 4 firms such as broader experience in terms of development (e.g. a client doesn't see you as a 'tax person' or a 'business services' person- they just see you as their business partner and treat you accordingly forcing you to adapt/find answers/be a central point of call), and you're more likely to be dealing with senior people within the client organisations (which are typically smaller).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There are benefits to both though and it really depends on what the individual wants. That being said, I chose big 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)