Big difference in HSC / Little diff in internal? (1 Viewer)

Striker999

HSC
Okay so i've read tips on how scaling works and such

But i was just wondering.. does this get affected

Student A lets call him Bob
Student B lets call him James
Student C lets call him Dave

Bob Internal Rank : 1
Bob Internal mark : 88
Bob Actual HSC Mark : 95

James Internal Rank : 2
James Internal Mark: 87
James Actual HSC Mark : 75

Dave Internal Rank : 3
Dave Internal mark : 70
Dave HSC Mark : 85

Q1)Does that mean bobs marks are still 95/95 (Average of 95)
and James = 85/75 (Avg 80)
and Dave = 75/85 (Avg 80)

Q2) Does it matter if in internal exams the difference between 1-3 are minimal while in the HSC the difference is GREATER
does Rank #1's marks get altered in any way or affected?

Last edited:

AnandDNA

HSC
I might not be completely correct but from what i've always thought, because Bob came 1st both internally and externally, he will get 95 for his external and internal mark and thus 95 HSC mark. Internal mark are roughly based on teh external exam. School assessment marks dont count its only rank that matters

Q.2 depends on what ranks the people get compared to the rest of class. For instance guy comes first interally and 3rd externally. He'll get something like teh top mark in HSC that his class mates got, as the internal mark. His external mark is whatever he gets in HSC.

say that the ranked #1 student got 70 in his hsc but the top mark was 95 . he would get around 82.5. But its much more complicated due to moderation and depends on gap sizes. dont worry abt it too much :)

Last edited:

Striker999

HSC
Sorry that was a mistake on my behalf.. ill edit it now
i meant 95/95 LOL

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Assuming these three are the only people in the school, the range of the HSC marks to be allocated would be between 75 and 95. The 70-88 internal marks must fit in the 75-95 range.
Bob, who came first in both and got 95 in HSC and 88 in internal, would have his 88 turn into a 95 (top mark for both ranges). His moderation is independent of the other students' performance. As such, he'd get 95 in total.
James came second with 87 in internal and third with 75 in HSC.
Dave came third with 70 in internal and second with 85 in HSC.
James's 87 is only 1 below the top internal mark range, and so when fitting it in to the 75-95 range, it'll be moderated into 93 or 94. So his total would be (75 + 93)/2 = 84.
Dave's 70 is at the bottom of the internal range, so his moderated mark will be the bottom of the HSC range, ie. 75. So his total would be (75 + 85)/2 = 80.

TL;DR
Bob = 95
James = 90
Dave = 80

The point? Do not underestimate your school assessments.

The HSC mark range being bigger than the internal mark range isn't that good, since all the internal marks have to be spread out now, which means the bottom people will get really shit, while top people will get really good.
If the internal mark range is bigger than the HSC mark range, all the internal marks now have to be squeezed into the HSC mark range. This can be good and bad, good if the HSC mark range is high, bad if the HSC mark range is low.
There you have it.

Last edited:

Striker999

HSC
Youngminii, so does #1 rank ever get affected by the students in his class as long as he/she stays on top internally and externally?!?

Edit : Does james' external or internal mark get moderated?
Sorry i kind of got confused as to where you got the 90 Total mark from :S

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Typo, my bad.
But no, if you're rank #1 in both external and internal, you won't be affected by anyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)