• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BIG NAMES in 05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

casebash

HSC
Yeh, I know that Ivan and Laurie are way, way above me. Your right that careless errors are not a trivial matter, when i first started olympiad I was losing 25-30% of my marks in careless errors. At first it didn't matter, I could still do very well, but eventually it got to the stage where it was killing me.

nit

HSC
The whole skill associated with HSC maths exams is negating those careless errors - pretty much everything is doable, but minimising careless errors while rushing through the papers is the key.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Yeah, at the top end it isn't "I hope I know (and did) more than others", it's "I hope I made no silly errors while others did".

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
aural_sax05 said:
dont leave pals out of this league mates.... he is one talented mathematician (with the ego to fit ) i can assure you

note: just5chillin is also a good chance... his predicted UAI ofg 99.95 is spot on and even a lil conservative!
no-one cares about view.

casebash

HSC
Hey, if you were put forward as one of the top guns and are going to the Talented Students Day I want to meet you. I should be easy to find as I am getting a Mathsearch medal, and if its anything like last year they give them out at the start. As 4 people from JR are getting medals you need to know my real name, Chris Leong.

justchillin

HSC
dude say what u want about view but, in my opinion, you are ignorant for ruling anybody out...

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I never said i was ruling view out. But im sure everyone is sick of all the view boys posting "ohhh this guy is so damn good, he'll smash you guys." Does it really matter in the end?

HSC
N/A
turtle_2468 said:
Don't worry, I just emailed them :p
Hugh got the award in 2002 which is right, because if you read the webpage it's for topping the state in the year BEFORE the award...
Well turtle, their website is still wrong. You're not on it anymore!

I've emailed them before (on a different issue) and I can say that they do take notice of my emails.

So I'll email them to fix it.

Their current website at http://www.mansw.nsw.edu.au/studentservices/tgroom-award.htm has this:

Here's my email.

To: 'mansw@math.nsw.edu.au'

Subject: Error on your website
Sent: 7/23/05 6:16 PM

Hi.

Congratulations on running a successful TSD yesterday. It was a nice day for it. I was only able to attend the ceremony, but I enjoyed the speeches.

Anyway, I've noticed on your website at
http://www.mansw.nsw.edu.au/studentservices/tgroom-award.htm
David Chan seems to have been deleted!
And Thomas Clement is given the wrong year!

It says

2002 Hugh Miller Barker College

2003 Thomas William Clement St Ignatius, Riverview

It should read (now that Andrew Tin-Pui Ngai is a medallist)

2002 Hugh Miller Barker College

2003 David Chan Sydney Grammar School

2004 Thomas William Clement St Ignatius, Riverview

2005 Andrew Tin-Pui Ngai James Ruse Agricultural HS

Sorry if you think I'm being a pest, but it would be nice if David Chan is put back on the list when you next update the website.

Last edited:

justchillin

HSC
It is true, this is a stupid argument. I was just offended becasue I thought u were saying that view boys should be ruled out...

HSC
N/A
turtle_2468 said:
talk about your "l33tness" at your peril
That's right.

justchillin said:
I thought u were saying that view boys should be ruled out
You shouldn't rule anybody in or out. It's not about who is better than everybody else. It's about hard work, perseverance and not making silly mistakes. So it's impossible to predict.

You can forget the idea, if you ever had it, that all you require is a bit of natural genius and that then you can wait for inspiration to strike. There is simply no substitute for hard work and perseverance. - Andrew Wiles (http://www.claymath.org/Popular_Lectures/Andrew_Wiles)

Last edited:

justchillin

HSC
couldnt agree more, anyway a big GL to everyone doing trials and especially the UMAT, can be a stressful time!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
3.1415926535897 said:
umm i jusdt have toi butt in here

i know this aural dude from local maths groups, he is very intelligent and his solns are usually too brief or complex (he does soo much in his head) so that is why he doesnt help otheres here cos it wouldnt help them at all!!!

Also, he is an animal in the weights room.......

possibly a good catch for u hayleekate...lol
fuck u riverview cunts are all the same. All talk.

Pi Pi Pi Pi Pi Pi Pi Pi!!
HSC
ummm..... how old is that fukwit

i mean u grammar wanks think ur all top shit cos u go to a selective schoool ... well there are many pl in non selective schoools how would have made it so...

all talk??? p[lease if u want confrontation im happy to do it wit me boy aural!!

HSC
Wait, which 'grammar wanks' are you referring to, IGS?
Ahh...so lost.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I just got an email from MANSW saying that they will fix their website and put turtle back on the list:

Sent: Monday, 25 July 2005 11:53 AM
To: d.buchanan@sga.edu.au
Subject: Re: Error on your website

Dear Derek

Thank you!!!!! I don't know how that happened.

I'll get it fixed when we get Andrew Ngai inserted.

Bernice

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
See! I told you they take notice of me!

But I don't know when they'll update their website.

justchillin

HSC
velox, I neither have time nor care for your ignorant comments... You should know that stereotyping is a sign of stupidity and that the use of vile language only reflects the limitations of your vocabulary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)