Biggest Tip For Monologues (1 Viewer)

Mithead

HSC
xandersnape said:
Is doing musical theatre or trying opera a bad idea?
Agreed with AbsoluteZero. But also you need to remember that its drama not music and, much as music is certainly an element of drama, if the whole thing is overwhelmed by a song, then I dont think the markers will respond overly positively. Perhaps Im wrong but I would say that if you do use song you need to use it sparingly. Or at least not have it being the focus of the piece.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I would say that if you do use song you need to use it sparingly. Or at least not have it being the focus of the piece.
Exactly my point, but better synthesised. :D

Nightsarah

HSC
I haven't got teenage angst...but i do have angst.
She is crazy but it's not really a main thing - you can just tell (because she makes out with a dead crow) and there's a couple of lines on it. There is a bit of her screaming about how this guy shattered her dreams of finding a god, but I don't know if that'd be considered angsty. Oh and at the end she reveals a childhood trauma - nothing too dramatic; just that she got rejected from a play. Is this sounding too typical?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
why not from girl interupted?</SPAN>
It's too overdone by HSC students. You should try something more original.

Is this sounding too typical?
Yes. I'm not saying it can't work, but originality is not its strongest point.

kyle_

HSC
N/A
im doing a piece from THIRTEEN MONOLOGUES, COCTEAU FEYDEAU: the liar. it has no set time, place, character or anything like that, so ive made it absurdist, placed in a mental hospital: character has a nervous twitch and repeats himself. Ive also started making a strait jacket for it too- its going well. anyway, tomorrow we have a drama night where the 3 groups and IP's are performing. should be interesting. DO any of you have the HSC starting points? we need them in our log books. we are going with its a bird- simply because, because..

six demon bag

HSC
It's been sed soooo many times yet people choose to ignore it....

DO NOT CHOOSE THE FOLLOWING TO PERFORM...

1. TEEN ANGST
2. SUICIDE
3. ABORTIONS
4. CHEAP 2 MIN MONOLOGUES FROOM TEEN BOOKS YOU GET FROM THE LIBRARY/INTERNET SITES THAT YOU STRETCH OUT BY URSELF
5. DEATH IN A NEGATIVE WAY
6. DRAMATIC MONOLOGUES THAT ARE WAY OUT OF UR LEAGUE
7. ACTUALLY ANYTHING THAT IS WAY OUT OF UR LEAGUE
8. A FAMOUS MONOLOGUE FROM A FAMOUS MOVIE
9. ANYTHING FROM A TEXT YOU ARE STUDYING IN ANY OTHER COURSE
10. DONT GET A MONOLOGUE FROM GIRL INTERRUPTED, TOP GIRLS OR BOMBSHELLS
11. AMERICAN TRASHY MONOLOGUES EG. REDNECK INCEST CRAP

:burn: SRY BOUT THE CAPS BUT I BET MOST OF U WILL IGNORE MY TIPS ANYWAY....if you do the opposite of wat i say... u r gay
lol

six demon bag

HSC
We keep being told OnStage is a lucky dip and I agree. There'd be heaps of people with fantastic marks who'd miss out just because of restrictions on the amount of people who can go in it. I'm not aiming for onstage, just a band 6 haha.

leilarose

HSC
I agree, but I feel that perhaps I would respect your opinion more if you had used you and are instead of U and R....also using gay as a negative term is a little juvenile, if you want to get your point across you should try doing it in an intelligent manner. People are more likely to listen if you do.

cutest_llama

HSC
ALSO DONT TALK TO A CHAIR
i HATE people who do that!!

I agree with everything in the first post expt if you dont listen to me your gay comment.

that is really uncalled for, Gays deserve respect

cutest_llama

HSC
We keep being told OnStage is a lucky dip and I agree. There'd be heaps of people with fantastic marks who'd miss out just because of restrictions on the amount of people who can go in it. I'm not aiming for onstage, just a band 6 haha.
On stage is Not a lucky dip.
Only the best of the best get in you have to get full marks
nd have approint martial.
8 people from my school got into on stage and 13 people in that year group got full marks. You should be aimming higher than marks any way.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
On stage is Not a lucky dip.
Only the best of the best get in you have to get full marks
nd have approint martial.
It is. Just because you get full marks and have appropriate content does not mean you'll get in to perform. They need to look at how the piece's would fit together in a performance showcase. A group may get nominate with a piece about women's rights. However, if there are 5 other great groups with this same theme, they won't put them all in.

allykat92

HSC
Great tips! Definitely useful for us 2010ers xD I haven't chosen a specific piece, but my aim is for a 9/11 monologue. I was 6 hours away from the city when it happened, and saw first hand the effects it had and I really want to bring that out to the markers :)

xocaitlinxox

HSC
Hey hey...

I must have started the Bombshells trend, because hardly anyone had even heard of it when I did it.

And even so, most people would've done "the mother", not the crazy cat teenager.

So, how's this forum going? It's been a while...
that's because you did it the year after bombshells was written. so no one had had a chance to do it before.

katoji

HSC
Hey, I am currently doing a monologue about a counsellor. I read that talking to a chair is detrimental but my character is very energetic and does not constantly sit in it. She likes to reimagine and portray the things she is telling her patient, if that makes sense. Anyway, I can imagine that it would be bad for the actor audience relationship, and I am not completely feeling it in my performance, but I have an idea of where and how to fix it. Do you think using the chair in this manner is bad? Btw I performed it for my trial only yesterday but it felt right...However a few things did feel awkward.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Reposition your set a bit. Instead of addressing the chair, make it so that your patient is in the audience. You'll find it much easier to connect with your audience, and it won't look like your talking to someone who isn't there.

katoji

HSC
Wouldn't that be a bit problematic? Because for my HSC performance I'm basically performing in front of examiners behind a table.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wouldn't that be a bit problematic? Because for my HSC performance I'm basically performing in front of examiners behind a table.
It shouldn't matter though. Yes, they are in this position, but reconfiguring it to what I suggested wouldn't cause ill effects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)