• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bigpond Cable Drop-out (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Hay guys. I have a home network with bigpond cable (10gig bundled plan) coming into modem, then into a D-Link 524 wireless router. Connected to the router are two computers as well as my laptop picking it up wirelessly. Up until a few days ago my internet was fine.

However, as of a couple of days ago the internet was not working on all computers, despite connecting to the network. The only way to fix this is to restart the modem AND the router. Then it works fine again for a few hours. Then it will go again. Happens around 3 times a day and is berloddy annoying!!!!

As far as I know, nothing changed between the time it worked fine, and now.... any help please? All computers run Windows XP.

Cheers,
Ac

Winston

HSC
It might be the new account upgrades they're doing, they're getting rid of the Heartbeat mechanism.

Also shouldn't you call Bigpond first?

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Winston said:
Also shouldn't you call Bigpond first?
Yes, probably. But when I say the word "router" they say: "pull it out, we dont support that crap". Which is b/s. Im hoping someone here might know the answer before I have to call up the evil Bigpond.

Thanks,
Ac

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Yeah mines been dropping out lately..got the router and modem. Hoping it is because of the heartbeat thing.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
yeah same thing used to happen to me, except i was on adsl.

every x amount of time the net would just cutoff and there was nothing much i could do besides wait a few minutes/hours till it reconnects. when i called them they also said something along the lines of "youre not allowed to have a network setup". i think the problem just resolved itself after a few weeks, but i decided to just switch to optus since telstras plans were quite simply crap, and havent had any problems since.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
As predicted, here was the response from Bigpond:

"Firstly, I need to make you aware that we do not support configurations such as yours. That being said, I can offer you some advice. There is no way of removing the heartbeat from the system - it is an integral part of our network. What you may be able to do with your router is configure it to allow the heartbeat to travel in and out of your system. You will need to consult either a network technician or the routers manufacturer to learn how to do this."

Bluh.

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)