Binary Division (1 Viewer)

4play

hey fellas

i got a question about binary division, because my sdd teacher said there was a very low likely hook of being asked to divide a binary number in the hsc paper.
he said that it had never been asked in previous hsc papers, and that to ask it would require a lot of time to do it, as it is all long division

what do u think? is there a high or low likely hood of us being asked a divide?

cheers

sunny

meh.
HSC
4play said:
hey fellas

i got a question about binary division, because my sdd teacher said there was a very low likely hook of being asked to divide a binary number in the hsc paper.
he said that it had never been asked in previous hsc papers, and that to ask it would require a lot of time to do it, as it is all long division

what do u think? is there a high or low likely hood of us being asked a divide?

cheers
Theres equal likelihood that they'll ask anything. If its long, theres no stopping them making it a bigger question worth more marks.

It might have never been done in an old HSC, whats to say thats more reason to put it in, quite simply because its never been in there before?

I don't mean to put you off, but personally I think judging topics by their likelihood of appearing in the exam is a quite foolish thing to do.

4play

yeah yeah i agree, its just that my teacher said it would more than likely not come up, and i just didnt want to neglect it, because knowing my luck it would.

better revise it then :)

31337 m4573|2

probability

i do agree that there is not much chance it will be included, as it has been over looked previously. although that may be reason enough to put it in as a change. it is virtually impossible to predict what may and may not be included in an exam. but yes, if it was in there, it would be a more valuable question in terms of possible marks.

G

grammar_police

Whatever...

I am not a fan of predictions, either. I had to do Binary Division in my Trial HSC paper, and Binary Division isn't really that long... Is it? Takes 1 minute or so to do it, so it will only be a 1 or 2 mark question. In my opinion, if I had to predict, I think that there is a reasonable liklihood of a binary division question being in the HSC paper.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
yeah theres nothing suggesting it wont be asked ... but if they do ask us apparently it wont be a hard one (so my teacher says) ... prolli something without a remainder that we can easily divide in our head to chek :p (since no calculators)

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Binary division

if the whole Software Dev view was made up of this , it would be pretty good , its not that bad (better than Flip flops :p and data stream)

i had one to do in my trial btw , so dont count it out ......

Doogsy

i thought it was in 03, and there isnt enough SDD papers to say 'they havnt asked it so they wont' If they hadnt asked a question in say 10 years, then you could probably overlook it slightly, and not expect a 5 mark question on it, but software is only 3 years old (i think)

switchblade87

HSC
Sorry to stir up an old thread, but does anyone know a good way of doing Binary Division? (i.e, doing it properly) The only way I seem to be able to do it is by converting the binary number into decimal and working it out that way. Then I just re-convert the answer back into binary.

The books I have don't explain it that well, I need someone to actually show me...so any help would be appreciated. :)

switchblade87

HSC
Yeah, I have it here, they only give examples. I really just don't know how to know when a number will fit into another number...Like, the example they have here is 110/10010, but how do you know that 110 will fit into 1, 10, 100, 1001 etc. Do you work left to right?

The whole concept is odd. I can do long division normally, but this is just odd :confused:

Ghost1788

HSC
try wilson's its explains it better than excel...if you dont have it tell me i scan it up or type it..for ya

Ghost1788

HSC
Attached is the wilsons excerpt..for division..its still a little confusing but it seems clearer that Excel...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)