Bio Hsc Responses (1 Viewer)

clever angel

HSC
hi ppl

just wanted 2 know whether we are allowed to write below the lines in bio hsc paper , do markers mark it?

reply soon
'plzzz

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes they will mark it. There is no rule saying that you cannot write more than the lines provided. They kept saying that you SHOULD write within the space provided because the question is only WORTH that amount of writing. Extra information is sometimes unneccessary and might jeopardise you by losing marks from a contradictory answer.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
In general, if you find yourself writing way over the lines
1. You are writting rubbish (as in waffle)
2. Your writing is big

In my opinion, most of the questions, if not all can be answered within the given space

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Going through the standards packages for exams, many of the high band 5/6 answers went below the lines. What I was told by a HSC marker was, if you need to go over a bit, then do so, they will mark it, maybe you just have big writing, or maybe it's because of the way you're setting out your answer. But if you start writing massive amounts down to the bottom of the page and start having to flip the paper on it's side to write the answer...then you've written farrrr too much for what the question is worth, you're wasting time, and it's not helping you in any way, and the marker just starts to get annoyed with you....

kacca29

HSC
N/A
Answers below the line will be marked. The marker's report year after year says that on the majority most answers that go over don't answer the question as well as those that use the space provided.

Compare this to legal studies where I'm told that you're expected to go over and according to one teacher the best answers use nearly double the space provided. In legal studies though you can write heaps of crap and so long as the right answer's in there you get good marks. In Science though if you write anything that contradicts the right answer you lose marks. So be very careful!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
It depends how you write, some people can express something in a line while others need a few lines to say the same thing. I guess for me writing over is just reassurance that ive written enough to get the marks. I absolutely hate when ive written less than what is provided, makes me think i havnt fully answered, but usually it is still enough to get the marks.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yeah kacca29 raised a very good point.. do NOT contradict urself.. otherwise u'll just start losing marks

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
only go below the line if you think you have info that's necessary. you should, as much as possible, use dot points cos all they do is tick off whether you have the answer or not. it's easy to waffle and lose marks.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The reason why no marks are lost for writing beyond the lines allocated for the response is because the markers assume that you have already penalised yourself by spending too much time on that question - time that could have been spent earning marks elsewhere in the paper.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
are you positive of that Laz? Were you told from someone at the BOS? Ive been told at school by a chem teacher that tey will be day marking all chem papers in one day. Apparently the dont read past the lines and if they cant read the writing they wont mark it. I thought that sounded a bit harsh.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
lukebennett: look at the standards packages for science, in particular Band 6 and "Exemplar". 90% of the responses go over the line, so your teacher is wrong.

helper

HSC
N/A
lukebennett said:
are you positive of that Laz? Were you told from someone at the BOS? Ive been told at school by a chem teacher that tey will be day marking all chem papers in one day. Apparently the dont read past the lines and if they cant read the writing they wont mark it. I thought that sounded a bit harsh.
HSC day marking means that markers are employed for about a week. They spend each day marking papers. They do not mark all the papers in a day.

The biggest thing to remember is that sciences are not doubled marked like English. They are check marked. About 1 in 30-50 is marked a second time. You write multiple pages the marker is more likely to miss something or you are more likely to contradict yourself.

The best way is to plan your answer and be specific, answering the question for the keyword used. If you can use a table then do, or if you can use a diagram to help explain then do. A diagram with description is a lot of times clearer than a couple of paragrahs writing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)