Bio, Physics and Chem (1 Viewer)

unknownuser123

HSC
Can someone give me run down of what's is expected in Bio, Physics and Chem for Yr 11 and 12? Thanks!

juusee

HSC
I'm only doing phys, currently in Prelim
There's 4 Modules that are split into a few topics:
1 - Kinematics (motion in a straight line, velocity, acceleration, displacement and all that kind of stuff)
2 - Dynamics (Forces, energy, work, Newton's Laws)
3 - Waves and Thermodynamics (Waves - Light waves, sound waves, reflection, refraction, wave frequency Thermodynamics - Heat, temperature, they're different things)
4- Electricity and magnetism (Electrical charges and circuits, I'm in the middle of this at school)

You probably covered some of the basics of these topics in Year 10 science. There's a new syllabus starting this year, so many people won't be able to answer your question properly. You can check out NESA's website for a copy of the new syllabuses.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone give me run down of what's is expected in Bio, Physics and Chem for Yr 11 and 12? Thanks!
Even though I'm sitting the old syllabus, Physics appears to be the most interesting according to most people I've met. Chem got boring so I dropped that and no one I've met has liked bio lol

KingTings

HSC
Currently doing preliminary physics and chemistry. As for physics it's really interesting yet quite difficult and maths heavy, particularly due to the new syllabus. The content in Year 12 seems a bit more interesting.
Personally I don't enjoy chemistry and I'm definitely dropping it (due to poor teacher and lack of interest). There are some semi-interesting topics such as quantitative chemistry and drivers of chemical reactions (currently doing).
Depth studies for both subjects which requires a lot of typing and decent understanding of writing up scientific reports.
Overall prelim and hsc science is just a close-up of all the concepts you have recently learnt in year 7-10, so if you enjoyed science in the past couple years you'll most likely continue to enjoy it.

HSC
N/A
Currently doing preliminary physics and chemistry. As for physics it's really interesting yet quite difficult and maths heavy, particularly due to the new syllabus. The content in Year 12 seems a bit more interesting.
Personally I don't enjoy chemistry and I'm definitely dropping it (due to poor teacher and lack of interest). There are some semi-interesting topics such as quantitative chemistry and drivers of chemical reactions (currently doing).
Depth studies for both subjects which requires a lot of typing and decent understanding of writing up scientific reports.
Overall prelim and hsc science is just a close-up of all the concepts you have recently learnt in year 7-10, so if you enjoyed science in the past couple years you'll most likely continue to enjoy it.
Just a note to this; a little elementary Chem can really help your Phys/Astro studies later on. You will hear about electron filling patterns long before a Physics lecturer will get you to agonize over an atom other than Hydrogen. Re Astro; an appreciation of ions, molecules etc will just add a little more to H alpha, 21 cm lines and other spectral glitches so beloved by Astronomers! Chem is worthwhile, even from a hard core Physics perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)