bio question (1 Viewer)

studygirl118

HSC
Can someone pls help me with a bio Question

What is the difference between independent assortment and random segregation? Thanks

ConquerHSC

HSC
N/A
Hello!

First of all:
Independent assortment occurs during Metaphase I of Meiosis I
Random Segregation occurs during Anaphase II of Meiosis II

Now for the Differences between independent assortment and random segregation:

Independent assortment: Independent assortment is the independent alignment of the homologous chromosome pairs on the equator of the cell during Metaphase I. The alignment of homologous chromosome pairs is solely determined by how they are attached to a centrosome via microtubules.

Random Segregation: Random segregation refers to random separation of chromatids to different poles in a haploid cell and determining the combination of the two chromatids in the four gametes for germ cell's meiosis cycle.

During Anaphase II, the microtubules separate the sister chromatids of each chromosome, pulling one chromatid of each chromosome to a different pole in each haploid cell (2 haploid cells from Meiosis I). The result is that on each pole for the haploid cells, there are two chromatids.

This segregation process is random i.e. you cannot determine which chromatid will end up at which side of the cell and in what gamete. Hence the term ‘random segregation’. Unlike with Independent assortment, we do not deal with sorting chromosome pairs here in random segregation but, rather, with individual chromatids.

DM me if you have any questions! <3333

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)