• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bio vs Physics vs Chem.... (1 Viewer)

evafree_creazn

HSC
hilo,

im a 05'er pickin sciences dis year .:confused: ... i lik bio but im good at mathy stuff. graduates who did physics and/or biology/chem... i reli envy your intelligence in science. i would appreciate it so much if u could tell me which of them takes more time to do well in... and is physics really math ish..~?

thx soso much,,~

Numero Uno

HSC
physics use to be more "mathish" in the old syllabus
but now since the new syllabus has been created less math is used
btw Go on msn!!

Physics and Chem are the best!

Blackalicious

HSC
I would do physics and chem if i were you as your good at maths and they have better scaling than bio. Physics takes more time for me then Chemistry but the workload in my opinon for both is just about the same

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
"In science, there is only physics; all the rest is stamp collecting" - Rutherford
In other words, go physics! Just do any of the three sciences, its all about memorising a heap of junk anyway. I think chem has a little bit more calculations involved but in terms of course structure, all the science syllabi are basically the same. 4 modules, with theory and practicals to do.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'd strongly recommend choosing the science which is most appropriate for your desired university degree.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Blackalicious
I would do physics and chem if i were you as your good at maths and they have better scaling than bio. Physics takes more time for me then Chemistry but the workload in my opinon for both is just about the same
what are you talking about? ;)

chem = phy = bio = english

scaling is not an argument. yeah choose the one that you want to do at uni, so that you don't have to do a bridge course or something.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Pick one that you are interested in. If you like them all, pick all three, as they are of equal workload.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Remember not to let what you learnt in the preliminary course get to you too much.

You might actually enjoy the HSC course as you learn different things.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
People who are planning to go into the med field are usually the ones who take all 3 sciences.
Unless you're really eagre (which I assume you are) there is no need.
And yeh, I wouldn't worry about the maths in physics all that much.
60 - 70 percent of the course is english like everyone says...
So yeh, if you do 2u math, you should be able to cope easily.
Biology is a lot of memory work I heard.
Theres a lot of theory that you have to learn.
So yeh, if you're good at memorsing, bio is pretty good choice.
I'll let someone else fill you in on chem :D
Good luck...

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
didn't i already fill all of it in?

i do all three... they are all the same. its like one subject on different topics. if you're good at one... you'll be good at the others. its mainly historical, societal, environmental issues that you have to study and assess the importance of. so if you like history and the social science subjects this is perfect for you.

bio = 85% english (choose bio if you can't even understand basic math and chemical equations)

chem = 75% english

phy = 75% english

the math for phy and chem, and chemistry for chem and bio involved is all very elementary stuff that anyone should be able to master in a day or two.

and for med, isnt the only prerequisite now for unsw adv english? you don't need to know any science before hand to be able to do med now... but hsc science does not teach much of it at the first place. :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If you do all the sciences you will get a broad understanding of the concepts, maybe you should do them for a few weeks and if one is troubling you drop it for another subject.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i did phys+chem for yr 11
phys would be ok if you had a teacher that taught (instead of you entire notes consisting of nothing but 'refer to text') phys isnt as maths oriented as if used to be, still a few calculations though
chem..well i sucked at it, but it was quite a good subject

one hint for you though, whatever you pick, make the syllabus your bible!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
if sciences are like english then why do i suck at science? and do pretty well in english?
coz you need to know all the scientific stuff and be able to explain it in words, which lotsa ppl seem to have trouble doing

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by evafree_creazn
hilo,

im a 05'er pickin sciences dis year .:confused: ... i lik bio but im good at mathy stuff. graduates who did physics and/or biology/chem... i reli envy your intelligence in science. i would appreciate it so much if u could tell me which of them takes more time to do well in... and is physics really math ish..~?

thx soso much,,~
Do the science that you did good in yr 9 -10, dont do the science course just for scaling, like me and end up with a low band 4 in physics (didnt count to my already shitty UAI);)
If you killed science in yr 10 then you might consider all 3.:p But i wouldn't recommaned that. Just dont do senior science :chainsaw: , low scaling course that it.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i did all three sciences
i think bio has got the most rote learning
then chem n then phys

all 3 r gud but u need to do work in all 3!!

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
I reckon chem requires the most amount of work in the sciences.
I think phy = bio in terms of workload, or bio may be jus ahead.
But if u do all 3 sciences, make sure u actually like science, and dont do it for the scaling!

04er

HSC
I'm currently doing all three sciences in year 12. At the beginning I honestly felt I was crazy and there would be no way I'd handle it... but I gave it a shot anyway. In year 11, I spent most of my time on physics and chemistry - practising lots of questions etc and ended up getting ~90 for each. For Bio I read through the content only ONCE and scored 90. My conclusion: if you are good at science, do all three. They are related in many ways and doing each helps your performance in each. Also, science is a very fascinating subject - much better than maths and english (IMO) :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)