• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bio vs Physics vs Chem.... (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
In terms of work load, bio < physics < chem. Unfortunately, although Chem is my favourite, it requires you to remember many details and each module has many references to previous material. Either way, its the most interesting one!

04er

HSC
One more thing, I was never good in science before year 11, so just because you are not good at a subject doesn't mean you shouldn't choose it. As long as you are interested in it (as I was), go for it!

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
I'd strongly recommend choosing the science which is most appropriate for your desired university degree.
I think this is the best advice. I needed Chem and Bio for my course, and I had no knowledge of Chem. I did a bridging course, but I already feel behind.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by evafree_creazn
hilo,

im a 05'er pickin sciences dis year .:confused: ... i lik bio but im good at mathy stuff. graduates who did physics and/or biology/chem... i reli envy your intelligence in science. i would appreciate it so much if u could tell me which of them takes more time to do well in... and is physics really math ish..~?

thx soso much,,~
bio is more memory, supposedly takes less time and is easier. but in the end you bang 6 is not equivalent to a band 6 in chem (for uai scaling purposes)

the other 2 are quite hard though, but if you are more of a maths person you will probably do well.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
lol the ppl in my chem class are actaully pretty smart ( smarter than me i think) so i feel pretty stupid and the teacher is always asking me whether i understand this concept lol like he thinks i wont get it or something.

tempco

HSC
I'd choose Bio and Physics... both require substantially less work than Chem, and are a lot easier to score higher in. That's my opinion though.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
If you think you can handle it go for physics or chem, but if not bios really fun and easy, or you could do all 3 like I did

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
they're all really interconnected bio and chem are related and physics and chem are related....i do all three so i have too many formulas swimming around in my head but i think u should pick the ones u enjoyed most in yr 10....if u pick more than one (usually one of em is chem) u'll find that a lot of the info from one subject is backed up or used in the other.

untamedanimal

If i could give one issue of advice with my experience at my school, i would say not to pick physics because you think you will coast through it being good at maths now. It doesn't work like that anymore. You gotta be able to write to. My class is full of people who have made that bad decision. They have bad writing skills, and if you cant write well, you could be throwing away a good 30% of the exam. The same applies for biology. I find biology more interesting, and im doing better in it. As for chemistry, i cant help with that because i dont do it

Scanorama

HSC
I did Chemistry and Physics in Year 11. As previous posts mentioned, if you have a good teacher for physics, you may find physics is easy. I dropped Physics in year 12 because the teachers i had didnt know how to teach. If you do good at 2U maths, you may enjoy physics coz there are some calculations involved in it. The workload in physics is less than chemistry, I didnt really study physics coz I knew nothing about it but yet I managed to pass. In chemistry, i have to work my butt off to get a good mark, you may find chemistry is fine in Year 11 but wait until you get to Year 12, thats a completely different stories.

If you enjoy science then do all 3, dont do it just because of the scaling because if you dont like it, not only you will do bad at it, i will also drag your marks down.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by nekkid
I'd choose Bio and Physics... both require substantially less work than Chem, and are a lot easier to score higher in. That's my opinion though.
??? I find physics to be the hardest

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Physics is not the hardest, if u study hard enuf, and understand the concepts, it should be a like nothing..., + physics a great help to 3 and 4 u maths

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Earth and environmental science is the best science subject :D

paper

they r so interchangeable .........with different shells attached for each, and are about the same difficulty(of course ur interest will prolly distort this).

same shit different smell.

however even some fundamental knowledge will assist what u do @ uni so keep that in mind when picking ur subjects, eg. obviously do atleast bio and chem if interested in studing biochem@ uni

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
I find physics to be the hardest
mm same here. i find that the concepts and understanding is hard. but its good for maths to some extent. i'm a bio freak and for chem, i'm understanding, its just physics that just is worrying me. Pick the subs you want and dont let the "appealing" scaling get to you because all three science is not going to be fun (unless you get a kick out of it like me :rolleyes: )

cko

HSC
kimkim!!! someone i noooooooooo!!! .... well anyway i think u guys are all crazee....

I LOVE physics!!! I think it's the most funnest subject around except for motors n generators. But besides that, all tha other topics are really interesting n i like the theory side to phys... so all u guys who don't like phys do what i do with maths: Kepp telling ourself that it's mega fun n force yourself to be enthusiastic in your work, that's what i did and it actually worked, i really do think maths is fun! Well... tha'ts just gabble from an old goose... but rememeber, mind power and positive thinking can go a long way!

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
bio is too much of rote learning.....
chem n physics u need 2 understand the concepts ...but still u can get 80+ by cramming!!

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Do all three as there is a significant overlap - the first module (skills etc.) is the same for all the science (or at least very similar).
Also, the knowledge in one can be applied to another (mainly
bio<->chem<->Phys) and the type of thinking is obviously the same (scientific). I think if you're doing one you're at a disadvantage to those doing two and they are at a disadvantage to those doing three:p That is why you can do a max of 6units - you can also drop one and pick up senior science if you're really struggling - Senior science is capped and boring IMAO. So my advice is bio, chem, phys - don't pick Senior science or Earth Science because they suck - unless you are into geology or are very weak at science - in which case don't do any science - Senior Science isn't a prerequisite or assumed knowledge (as far as I know). Personally I can't understand why BOS offers the subject at all - it should be taught at tafe:D . Get rid of General Maths, Standard English and Senior Science, I say.:p
PS Why are these subjects offered?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)