Biology Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

bassamjr

HSC
btw for the vaccination question, did you guys talk about how its effectiveness was limited by the fact that they didn't continue vaccinating people in the later ages? i talked about how although theyre providing people with immunity across all these ages, their memory B cells are likely to be absent by the time they're 65+, requiring the vaccination schedule to last longer if they want to address the main people who suffer from tetanus.

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
btw for the vaccination question, did you guys talk about how its effectiveness was limited by the fact that they didn't continue vaccinating people in the later ages? i talked about how although theyre providing people with immunity across all these ages, their memory B cells are likely to be absent by the time they're 65+, requiring the vaccination schedule to last longer if they want to address the main people who suffer from tetanus.
I didn't because it was out of the stimulus but its a good point

I just did a broad thing on the importance of repeated doses to get more memory B cells and then went specific for a bit on the data points and the 0.01IU/mL immunity limit

Also how about NESA using the iOS fire emoji for the bushfire question lmao

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
yeah but i basically said 'extrapolating the fifth dose it seems that immunity is constant' but i also said that maybe 65+ keep getting sick because immunity runs out, so they might want to introduce a 6th dose mid 40s to ensure lifelong immunity

thirdpartycookie

HSC
My teacher thought the paper was more difficult with abstract sources/examples used to separate out the top and bottom bands but I didn't really feel that, maybe apart from the bushfire (gene flow, drift and selection pressure) question
I get what they mean with the abstract sources/examples, but I don't think that necessarily has to mean it was as hard as your teacher is insinuating. Because objectively the test was decently easy. The 5+ markers I believe will differentiate the top bands though, I feel like they'll make it a bit harder to get the full marks when marking...

goodcat911

HSC
idk if this is right but i think itd prolly be:
1 mark for describing how vaccine works (primes the B and T cells and immune response by exposing to fragments of pathogen)
1 mark for discussing why multiple doses were given (antibody concentration would go down gradually if the body hadnt encountered the pathogen)
1 mark for explaining the amount of the dose (baby immune system would be weaker than 13 year olds so it might be fatal to give a high dose; u needa gradually build immunity)
1 mark for what might be the reason for giving higher doses (i.e giving the whole pathogen at once would be very tough on body so first dose may just contain fragments, second dose may contain fragments + pathogenic proteins etc.)
1 mark for specific reference to the stimulus (use values, mention immunity)

bassamjr

HSC
slightly easier than 2022. slightly harder than 2021. i reckon alignment will be 81 raw --> 90 aligned or smth similar to that
students had 1 extra month of studying in 2021 so technically the exam would've been like around 80 aligns to 90 if they didn't. i reckon this exam was easier and that around 82-83 would align to 90.

purplenurple

HSC
you know what's so embarassing, around 10 people left the exam room with one person leaving an hour into the exam. its such a shame because the exam was so easy and now everyone else's marks are going to be affected by that :mad::(

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
you know what's so embarassing, around 10 people left the exam room with one person leaving an hour into the exam. its such a shame because the exam was so easy and now everyone else's marks are going to be affected by that :mad::(
someone did multiple choice and dipped after like 30 mins at my school. Doesn't impact me cause im rank 1 but I feel bad for the people who have been gridning to make up for their shit school and get betrayed by their cohort not even giving af enough to sit through a 3hr exam

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
someone did multiple choice and dipped after like 30 mins at my school. Doesn't impact me cause im rank 1 but I feel bad for the people who have been gridning to make up for their shit school and get betrayed by their cohort not even giving af enough to sit through a 3hr exam
ur not allowed to leave wtihing hte first hour tho?

goodcat911

HSC
for q28 b (waterborne disease identification), what did u guys put?
is it correct to write that u inoculate the contaminated water sample in petri dishes? i just said u store for a couple days till it grows, then in one petri dish add lots of antibiotics, and in the other one, add antivirals. then view under microscope to see if anything remained. once u can see, u can put that pathogen into healthy organism (koch's postulates) and see if the same symptoms are displayed. and from there, u can inoculate sample from blood and confirm its the same. idk the only thing that really came to my mind was antibiotics/antivirals...

bassamjr

HSC
for q28 b (waterborne disease identification), what did u guys put?
is it correct to write that u inoculate the contaminated water sample in petri dishes? i just said u store for a couple days till it grows, then in one petri dish add lots of antibiotics, and in the other one, add antivirals. then view under microscope to see if anything remained. once u can see, u can put that pathogen into healthy organism (koch's postulates) and see if the same symptoms are displayed. and from there, u can inoculate sample from blood and confirm its the same. idk the only thing that really came to my mind was antibiotics/antivirals...
it was 2 marks so i dont think you needed koch's postulates but you should be right about what you wrote. i took inspiration from the previous part of the question by talking about how after you collect contaminated water samples and inoculate the agar plate, you can observe the characteristics of the cell to determine if it is prokaryotic or non-cellular etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)