Biology Vs Economics (1 Viewer)

knightus10

HSC
HELLO! :D
So since i've chosen my subjects for year 11, i was wondering whether i should choose ECONOMICS or BIOLOGY as my back up, in case i dont make it into the subjects i chose.
SOOOOO i'm wondering which should i pick?

Right now I'm going to do:
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
3U Maths (Hoping 4U Maths in Year 12 :p)
Physics
Chemistry
Music 2

I really dont mind either of them, but what do you think is better in the long run? Cause i can only choose one of them right now.
Is having all three sciences to much of a workload? Should i do at least one humanity subject?
Which one should i pick? *DUN DUN DUUUNNNN

and just an extra question: do the subjects I picked so far look alright? ^_____^

Last edited:

Okashi

HSC
Do you seriously want to do Music 2? Scales like crap。

Economics scales better than Biology. But in the end comes down to preference as Biology mostly involves reading endless streams of content while Economics involves knowledge+logic. More interesting imho.

knightus10

HSC
Does economics require a lot of written essays and loads of research?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Yeah, it requires a lot of essays. 3 Science's aren't bad at all.

albertcamus

HSC
Does economics require a lot of written essays and loads of research?
Well in the final exam, 40% of your exam will be essays as opposed to histories which are pretty much 90% essays.

So not thaat much essay writing, but it is a pretty big component nevertheless.

And as for research, I'd say you can survive on the textbooks prescribed and get a 95 in Economics. One of my friends used to read widely and got 97, while another didn't but knew his content inside out with textbook stats as opposed to events in the economy and still got a 97.

I reckon Bio's a good option since exam technique/prac skills tie in with Phys/Chem and the content doesn't require extra out-of-syllabus study - your study patterns for each Science can be constant I guess. But from what I hear, Bio's a lot more memorised content while Eco is logic/applying for a large chunk of the course.

So up to you.

knightus10

HSC
is there a lot of content to learn for bio? I also heard that a lot of people thought year 11 biology was boring but it gets better in year 11. What do you think?
sorry for all the questions

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to keep out to date statistically to include in your essays.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
It's not 'a lot' of content, its average. Since there isn't much problem solving, logic etc it's really easy to just memorize the content and ace your exams. As for boring or not, I personally like Biology so I would say it's fun-ish.
Edit:Also I used to do Economics in year 11, got bored of it (I'm more into science) then dropped it.

Last edited:

albertcamus

HSC
You need to keep out to date statistically to include in your essays.
I'd say trends are more important than stats.

How things have changed is a lot more important than what's happening currently, and you can make up many stats if you know the general gist of them.

albertcamus

HSC
It's not 'a lot' of content, its average. Since there isn't much problem solving, logic etc it's really easy to just memorize the content and ace your exams. As for boring, I personally like Biology so I would say it's fun-ish.
How isn't there much logic?

albertcamus

HSC
Because you're memorizing stuff, not problem solving
But there's a lot of logic regarding how each issue ties into each other?

There's a reason why everything happens - inflation changing, interest rates, balance of payments, WHY the govt chooses to make certain policy decisions, WHY certain govt policy decisions conflict with each other, exchange rates, reasons for free trade and reasons for protection, NAIRU, demand-pull and cost-push inflation etc.

To OP:

There's also about 4-5 marks (LOL) worth of calculations in each Economics HSC exam.

But I'd say the thinking involved in economics is very quantitative so it is logical in that matter.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
But there's a lot of logic regarding how each issue ties into each other?

There's a reason why everything happens - inflation changing, interest rates, balance of payments, WHY the govt chooses to make certain policy decisions, WHY certain govt policy decisions conflict with each other, exchange rates, reasons for free trade and reasons for protection, NAIRU, demand-pull and cost-push inflation etc.

To OP:

There's also about 4-5 marks (LOL) worth of calculations in each Economics HSC exam.

But I'd say the thinking involved in economics is very quantitative so it is logical in that matter.
Oh lmao, I'm talking about Biology, not Economics.
Yeah, I agree Economics has a lot of logic in it.
Sorry I should have quoted what I was replying to

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Choose economics and we can be like 2015 hsc buddies! .o. Nah but seriously, it all depends on person preference. I chose economics because you wouldnt be stuck on all three sciences but ive seen people do all three and come out awesome because they love it.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
I did both (regretfully). tbh I wish I did neither. LOL
but honestly... I find bio a tad more bearable than economics. but maybe I just had trash for teachers. Eco is so...

Like honestly I think eco has just as much bullshit as bio to study. And since you (will) do chem and phys, I really think you're at a massive advantage for bio. I didn't study for my bio yearlies and turned every question into a chem question and I think I did decent... This is the same if you did business and eco or something.

personally, I recommend bio from the subjects you have said that you will be doing :)
just my 2c heh.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Eco is so...
Full of theory based solely on opinion, without any real predictive power?? An unsuccessful attempt to mesh maths with the humanities?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)