BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING OR MEDICAL SCIENCE? Career prospects? course difficulty? (1 Viewer)

livingthedream

HSC
I am interetsed in all things medical. I want to perhaps go into medicine or dentistry but I also want a back up plan if i don't get in and want to be employable. One is 5 years the other 3 years so I really can't decide. What is everyone opinion?
Thanks

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
if you love a field you would be good at it.. if you are good at it jobs would be at your feet...

All depends on you tbh..

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Both are basically the same. But biomed is more pathological I think.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
engineering is pretty good but biomed jobs in Australia specifically are nor very common

Ethicks

HSC
engineering is pretty good but biomed jobs in Australia specifically are nor very common
This is not true, if you do biomedical you can either try and find a research job or work in any Pathology lab just be aware in major cities it's always competitive and they want experience so take up the traineeships when they pop up.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
This is not true, if you do biomedical you can either try and find a research job or work in any Pathology lab just be aware in major cities it's always competitive and they want experience so take up the traineeships when they pop up.
aka no jobs in biomedical engineering specifically

Ethicks

HSC
aka no jobs in biomedical engineering specifically
There are companies like Roche who supply all the machinery to labs around the country, so I wouldn't go around saying there are 'no jobs'

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
There are companies like Roche who supply all the machinery to labs around the country, so I wouldn't go around saying there are 'no jobs'
I didn't say there were "no jobs" lol just very uncommon

Silly Sausage

HSC
Check out this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/engineerin...xperience_with_biomedical_engineering_bmes_i/

It seems there aren't a lot of jobs. Yes that doesn't mean there's NONE, but personally I wouldn't like the stress that.

It also seems that you might be better in doing a degree that's more 'specific'. Maybe do electrical engineering and choose bio electives??
That's in America, where the job market for biomedical engineering is FAR stronger than in Australia.
Mechanical engineers can also work in the biomedical industry since it's so broad.

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad
I am interetsed in all things medical. I want to perhaps go into medicine or dentistry but I also want a back up plan if i don't get in and want to be employable. One is 5 years the other 3 years so I really can't decide. What is everyone opinion?
Thanks
Well if you don't get into med straight away but are still interested, do medical science then sit the GAMSAT and UMAT again, but if you're only trying for Med this once then I don't recommend doing Medical Science. You might be better off doing standard science since that offers way more flexibility and better job prospects. I'm pretty sure the employability in medical science is pretty low due to the sheer number of med sci graduates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)