Biomedical Engineering Questions (1 Viewer)

ColdLipstick

HSC
Hi,

I have questions regarding two engineering degrees at USYD:

-Biomedical Engineering
-Biomolecular and Chemical Engineering

1) Which is better in terms of job prospects and ease of course. (NOTE: I have already viewed the chemical engineering thread by undalay)

2) Can someone who did Biomolecular and Chemical Engineering at USYD work in the medical field with drug design etc..

3) Can someone who did Biomolecular and Chemical Engineering at USYD go on to Graduate Medicine at USYD and will he/she be disadvantaged than other students who did Biomedical Engineering

4) What is special about the Biomolecular and Chemical stream in the Biomedical Engineering course (I saw different streams)

5) I heard Chemical Engineering is not as stressful as other degrees and not so competitive (undalay) so does this make it a better alternative for Graduate Medicine?

6) Is the Biomolecular and Chemical stream in the Biomedical Engineering course very similiar to Biomolecular and Chemical engineering in terms of job prospects?

THANKS IN ADVANCED!

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Heres a problem solver for you
To do Biomedical engineering you have to pick a 'normal' engineering stream. Just pick the biomolecular and chemical stream and then you can graduate with a degree in both.
Here: http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-page/name/BE(Biomed)-CBE

1) More chemical in the current but give biomed 10-20 years and itll be a head. again do what i said and youll have the opportunity to do both

2) Yeah thats exactly where the chemical 'stream' over biomedical engineering is geared at. Biomedical engineering is something that uses bits from all engineering so different parts are geared to different things. like the mechanical stream is more aimed at joint replacements for example or mechantronics more prosthetics.

3) Look at this link: http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Bachelor-of-Engineering-Biomedical
I quote 'Many Biomedical Engineering students have gone on to do Graduate Medicine at the University of Sydney.'

4) Theres 'core' biomedical engineering subjects which everyone does regardless of what stream or if theyre doing a double degree. The rest of your subjects are your stream or other degree if you did something like engineering/commerce. These are subjects that people doing the biomolecular and chemical stream would do. they are not biomed focused (many biomed core subjects are completely biomed focused). Its aimed at giving you a good grounding in chemical engineering.

5) No. The biomed chemical stream is again your best bet. Id say a biomed student would be better off than a sole chemical engineering student because of the biology based subjects if they wanted post grad med.

6) Covered this a bit but the biomed/chemical stream should give you opportunities to get jobs in the biomedical engineering sector (specifically jobs that want someone with a chemical engineering understanding) whilst if you did the chemical engineering degree alone you wouldnt have as many opportunities.

Heres another link for you
http://sydney.edu.au/engineering/futurestudent/study/biomedical.shtml

If you need any help message me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)