Biomedicine (1 Viewer)

Scrubd

HSC
Hello there community,

I have a few questions regarding biomedicine :)
As Melbourne University discontinuing the dental science course, and La Trobe is much too far away,
Would Biomedicine be an alternative/pathway to dentistry?
Is it just receiving the offer and completing the 3 (not sure about this) year course and choosing medicine, physiotherapy, optometry...etc or is there some sort of test involved?

Replies appreciated! :spin:

Dosu

HSC
N/A
Hello there community,

I have a few questions regarding biomedicine :)
As Melbourne University discontinuing the dental science course, and La Trobe is much too far away,
Is it just receiving the offer and completing the 3 (not sure about this) year course and choosing medicine, physiotherapy, optometry...etc or is there some sort of test involved?

haha nope unfortunately it's not that simple

you will need to sit the GAMSAT + attend an interview and entry into the program will be based on your performance of the two.

don't listen to that "guaranteed entry" bollocks for high scoring year 12 applicants. the uni stated they know very little about the scheme and they're not sure yet if they will make high scorers sit the GAMSAT+interview as well.

nottellingu

HSC
Hello there community,

You don't have to do biomedicine to do postgrad med/dentistry. The schools actually like to have students from diverse backgrounds or so they say.

You need to sit GAMSAT and maintain a highish GPA/WAM. If those scores are competitive enough you'll then have an interview at most universities, some don't use interviews as a part of their selection process i.e. UQ.

Scrubd

HSC
You don't have to do biomedicine to do postgrad med/dentistry. The schools actually like to have students from diverse backgrounds or so they say.
Sorry I don't understand what you mean. Can you please further elaborate?
Thanks.

nottellingu

HSC
They don't care what undergrad degree you do. As long as you have the marks you won't be disadvantaged in anyway.

Scrubd

HSC
Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up guys.
On another note, what job prospects does Biomedicine offer? This is if I do not sit the GAMSAT for other pathways.
Cheers.

Dosu

HSC
N/A
They don't care what undergrad degree you do. As long as you have the marks you won't be disadvantaged in anyway.
i was fairly sure melbourne uni was different if you wanted to get into their grad MBBS program. i'm fairly sure you have to do certain subjects and biomedicine is considered one of the few acceptable undergrad degrees for entry.

that's why biomed at melbourne uni has a cutoff in the high 90's.

Scrubd

HSC
i was fairly sure melbourne uni was different if you wanted to get into their grad MBBS program. i'm fairly sure you have to do certain subjects and biomedicine is considered one of the few acceptable undergrad degrees for entry.

What other acceptable undergrad degrees are there?

nottellingu

HSC

You're right there.
UMelb is an exception. USYD, UQ ect don't care.
Its only a few subjects which are pre-requisite, you might be able to pick them as an elective or in the summer i think?

ambitious

HSC
For melbourne uni, Biomedicine is the most obvious course that can function as a route to the grad health science, the course content also seems to be most relevant and closely linked to the health sciences. However, it is possible to gain entry into similar courses by studying the bachelor of science as long as you select the correct subjects [these are specified on the uni's website and you'll be told if you decide to enrol].

Note that you can study these courses at other unis as long as there exists proof to say that the course at say monash is the equivalent of that to melbourne. However the guaranteed pathway would not apply to those who achieve high enters but study biomed at another uni.

The guaranteed pathway i'm aware does not sound absolutely definite but it's there nevertheless. I don't think the uni will go back on their words and wipe out that path otherwise complaints would sky rocket seeing as many students decide to go to melb due to this pathway. There are conditions to this route though: student need have a high enter, achieve and maintain an average of 75% or higher and guaranteed spots are fee paying which may be limited to the numbers avaliable.

For others or those wanting a CSP spot, selection criteria into grad courses consist of:

-equivalent ranking according to GPA and GAMSAT scores
-applicants shortlisted to attend multi-mini interview [total of 125% of applicants will be interviewed so - 4/5 of students interviewed will be accepted]

That's about it. Sorry it's a bit long. hope it was helpful!

ambitious

HSC
Sorry, forgot to mention the grad dentistry and medicine graduate degrees are no longer MBBS but MD [doctor - so doctor of medicine and doctor of dentistry] I'm not definitely sure but these degrees may be higher than the MBBS as certain websites state that it is the equivalent of MD phD in the US as MD=MBBS [USA=Aus]. This is another factor to consider when selecting unis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)