biopolymer question (1 Viewer)

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
did u talk about a specific biopolymer? i did because that's what in the syllabus....

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I talked about cellulose and PHB, then made a general statement ...

kini mini

HSC
Yeah, I talked about good old biopol specifically but made some general comments as well.

profernity

HSC
i did about half on PHB, and half on the inefficient technology, saying that currently development is still stuck in the lab because of this. I also mentioned that biopolymers were in development because of increasing concern over non-biodegradable wastes...u know, i thought "assess current developments in biopolymers" meant u had to be more general than just talking about a specific biopolymer for the entire answer, because the question was broad.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Hmmm... I did 2 thirds on PLA and 1 third on PHB/PHA... THe question was a little strange...
"assess current developments in the use of biopolymers" It's like they're asking a double barrel question where you have to deal with changes in how they have been used along with current research direction ...

-=AETOS=-

Talked about the PHB and eutrophis aligenes and how this polymer would not be economically viable replacement to fossil fuels. Also talked about the research into cellulose digestion into glucose and the technical difficulties there.

macca202

the question was pretty stupid cos unlike sylabus, id didnt ask to talk about a specififc biopolymer. I forgot about them anyway, i find it a boring sylabus point. is a biopolymer natural or somthing or just biodegradable. i dont know what i said. Damn i went shitter in that test than i thought. But thats always the way.......

sleepy

i hated that question
didnt know wat to say
i think i said something about it being expensive to develop and that polymers made from fossil fuels were cheaper...
and mentioned cellulose uses

Ozz^E

The question was half a syllabus point, the other half (which asked for a specific polymer) was excluded. SO i dont think they wanted us to talk bout any specific. Though theres no harm if u did...as lond a s u showed a godd ASSESSMENT of the current development of biopolymers in general. The following was my answer (more or less):

Natural biopolymers such as starch and cellulose have a wide range of potential applications in markets currently dominated by petroleum-based products. These include biodegradable plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, textiles etc. In addition to opening up new markets, the use of grain products would provide positive environmental benefits by reducing the levels of pollution generated during the current manufacture and disposal of petroleum-based products. Biopolymers have the advantage of biodegradability and petroleum is also a limited resource. More recently, the development of biopolymers that have similar properties to the synthetic polymers but which will retain biodegradability has been undertaken.

Despite their many advantages such as renewability, low cost, abundance, biodegradability and less pollution, natural polymers are only slowly being used up in the manufacture of consumer goods. Problems associated with their use include water sensitivity, manufacturing cost, lack of understanding of how natural polymers behave in industrial processing and how natural polymers interact with other ingredients, and the need for non-traditional processing equipment and processes. Much development is still needed: biopolymers that are being developed from biological sources still cost about ten times as much as polymers made from fossil fuels. The processes that are used to make biopolymers also have a fossil fuel input in the transport of materials, the manufacture of equipment and the chemicals used in processing.

-=AETOS=-

Thats not a very good answer.
Despite the question not referring to a specific polymer you can bet that in the marking scheme there will be one mark allocated for a specific biopolyer such as PHB. You didn't even mention cellulose but rather spoke generally about 'natural polymer' . About 3 marks I rekon

Ozz^E

Originally posted by -=AETOS=-
Thats not a very good answer.
Despite the question not referring to a specific polymer you can bet that in the marking scheme there will be one mark allocated for a specific biopolyer such as PHB. You didn't even mention cellulose but rather spoke generally about 'natural polymer' . About 3 marks I rekon
I doubt that...if they wanted us to talk bout a specific polymer, they wouldve said so in the question.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
fark im so scared of the stupid marking and the new syllabus and everything

anomaly

wow... you guys are seriously freaking me out for the biopolymer question.... I think that a lot of people are going to lose marks because they didnt pay attention to what the question was asking... *sigh* oh well..

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by iptteacherssuck
guys one problem with ozz's answer

pvc and ps and other polymers are also renewable!! :)
??? HOW ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)