• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Biopolymer ??? (1 Viewer)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
I need to research a recent biopolymer for my 1st assignment. All the one's i looked up were made in foreign countries, therefore hard to get much info.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some recent biopolymer's i could research. I need to know asap

thanks

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Or try a specific type of PHA, poly-hydroxy-butanoate (PHB)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
PHB is quite easy to remember.

PHB all the way. :)

Click me and me.

bassqueen16

HSC
wat about stuff like Biopol and Cereplast... do u need actually chemical compounds or like the company cos in the company case products like Biopol and Cereplast are current

N

Newberry

i need to investigate a biopolymer, and need all the info about it such as industrial production, enzymes and synthesisers, uses and potential uses, future reasearch and effects on society and the environment.
but is PHB polyhydroxybutyrate or polyhydroxybutanoate?

bassqueen16

HSC
i think PHB is polyhydroxybutanoate but dont quote me on it

brilliance**

just a member.
HSC
N/A
PHB isn't as recent as many others out there...
you could try
PLA (or if you want to be a bit more adventurous, check out PLLA. where one of the methods were developed and published last year)
SOPEP
hmm.. I had a long list but that's about all I can remember at this point.

btw. wasn't PHB polyhydroxybutyrate??
maybe I heard it wrong in school.//

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
brilliance** said:
PHB isn't as recent as many others out there...
you could try
PLA (or if you want to be a bit more adventurous, check out PLLA. where one of the methods were developed and published last year)
SOPEP
hmm.. I had a long list but that's about all I can remember at this point.

btw. wasn't PHB polyhydroxybutyrate??
maybe I heard it wrong in school.//
Hmm, there could be other PHBs, I suppose. :p

Yes yes, have a look at all biopolymers and choose the one you find most interesting and easiest to remember. Note that it doesn't make a difference which biopolymer you choose, as long as you provide accurate and sufficient information.

xvelidras

HSC
Riviet said:
Definitely not butyrate, never heard of it.
The fact that you've never heard of it doesn't mean PHB isnt polyhydroxybutyrate. In fact PHB is commonly known as polyhydroxybutyrate. If you attempted to systematically name it, it would be polyhydroxybutanoate.

As for the biopolymer, i think the easiest one to choose is Biopol: a co-polymer of PHB and PHV. (polyhydroxybutyrate and polyhydroxyvalerate) Link below has some good info

http://www.bact.wisc.edu/Microtextbook/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=155&page=1

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Good point made there, i hate it how there are so many different names of things in chemistry. :rolleyes:

angelxtearz

HSC
hmmm, so dis is wrong?

so im just really confused, could someone check this

Name: Bipol (trade name) or polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA)
Development- 'Bipol' was a product of a successful attempt by an American company to manufacture a polymer. Bipol was a biopolymer dervied from a naturally occurring bacteria. It was developed in the 1960's
Properties: Parallel polypropylene to the exception of biodegradability and biocompatibility.

Production: Bipol is produced industriallu by bacteria 'Alcaligenes eutrophus' growing in tanks with carbon based food source. The polymer is then isolated then purified. Purification includes dissolving the PHA in a chlroinated hydrocarbon (trichlorimethane) removing the solid waste by centrifuging, precipitating the PHA from the solution & drying the powder. Around 30-80% of the microorganisms dry weight can be harvested as the polumer

Potential Usage
BIODEGRADABILITY
-Usage in packaging
-usage in paper coating to eliminate the problem of plastic in paper composting.
BIOCOMPATIBILITY
-development of artificial sking & organs for implants
-coatings for medical devices to minimise adverse reactions from the body
-a method of releasing medical ingredients slowly over time (eg. slow release drugs)
COMPLICATION
the potential usage of PHA, 'Bipol' is the COST
-as long as petroleum relatively cheap, plastics can be produced at 1/10 the price of production of biopolymers. 3% of petroleum supplies are used in the manufacture of biopolymers therefore the use of biopolymers will not significantly reduce petroleum consumption significantly.

thankez, it would be cool if someone just re-edited this post if i am wrong in places.
:headbang:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
angelxtearz said:
so im just really confused, could someone check this

Name: Bipol (trade name) or polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA)
Development- 'Bipol' was a product of a successful attempt by an American company to manufacture a polymer. Bipol was a biopolymer dervied from a naturally occurring bacteria. It was developed in the 1960's
Properties: Parallel polypropylene to the exception of biodegradability and biocompatibility.

Production: Bipol is produced industriallu by bacteria 'Alcaligenes eutrophus' growing in tanks with carbon based food source. The polymer is then isolated then purified. Purification includes dissolving the PHA in a chlroinated hydrocarbon (trichlorimethane) removing the solid waste by centrifuging, precipitating the PHA from the solution & drying the powder. Around 30-80% of the microorganisms dry weight can be harvested as the polumer

Potential Usage
BIODEGRADABILITY
-Usage in packaging
-usage in paper coating to eliminate the problem of plastic in paper composting.
BIOCOMPATIBILITY
-development of artificial sking & organs for implants
-coatings for medical devices to minimise adverse reactions from the body
-a method of releasing medical ingredients slowly over time (eg. slow release drugs)
COMPLICATION
the potential usage of PHA, 'Bipol' is the COST
-as long as petroleum relatively cheap, plastics can be produced at 1/10 the price of production of biopolymers. 3% of petroleum supplies are used in the manufacture of biopolymers therefore the use of biopolymers will not significantly reduce petroleum consumption significantly.

thankez, it would be cool if someone just re-edited this post if i am wrong in places.
:headbang:
You've got it.

I'm just going to add that when the microorganism Alcaligenes Eutrophus is placed in the suitable medium, it multiplies until a nutrient is removed (for example, nitrogen). After this it ceases multiplying and begins to construct the desired polymer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)