• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BIOS1201 and CHEMxxxx (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Yup, I'm doing BIOS1201 as well! Though my bio lab is on Wednesday 2-5pm. Lectures run from Monday, and thursday.

And doing Chem1031, weird, though I hear from alot of people that even fund of chem is quite hard...I probably enjoyed chem at high school since our teacher was quite amusing, since she didn't even know what we were laughing at...Though seriously, is chem fundamentals hard?

*Peers at survivor's courses, omg I so want to do those courses in my third year as well!!*
You learn the same thing in advanced as you do in fundamental. It's just advanced has more organic chemistry with more reactions to remember.

yes I love my subjects choices :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
sikeveo said:
same, im doing bios 1201, but my lab in on friday, so i can have the weekend incase we have to hand in lab reports.
You don't need to hand in lab report for bio like you do in chem. There is 1 report to be handed in and it's handed in after a few weeks in lab time anyway. There's no advantage of doing later lab in Bio.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
In the last topic regarding like timetable tips, people said that it's better to finish the BIO lab early in the week, which I quite agree...Only in chem labs that you can use their timing to your advantage.

@survivor: Thx for the info! Though...say if we find the higher chem to be abit too challenging, can we revert to the fund of chemistry? [Not the semester 1 fund of chemistry, but the semester 2 fund of chemistry]

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
ah ok thanks. I hate prac write ups. Btw, how are the pracs in bio? I didnt do bio in the hsc :(

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Rekkusu said:
@survivor: Thx for the info! Though...say if we find the higher chem to be abit too challenging, can we revert to the fund of chemistry? [Not the semester 1 fund of chemistry, but the semester 2 fund of chemistry]
yes, you can do higher in S1 and fundamental in S2. I heard someone who got a 45 "Failed" in Higher can drop to and get a 50 in Fundamental 1A, not sure if that's true.

I'm sure you'll do well. :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
sikeveo said:
ah ok thanks. I hate prac write ups. Btw, how are the pracs in bio? I didnt do bio in the hsc :(
It can be long because it is 3 hours. Most of the time you will finish early. When I did mine, we have pre-tests which test for lab stuff before we do the lab. I think they don't have it since last year, which made it easier to get higher marks.

Most of the pracs are fun, except the genetics ones in Week 13-14. You should be fine without HSC Bio. People who didn't do HSC Biology have topped BIOS1201 before.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Survivor, do the pretests count towards your final mark? And are they just to show you have read the relevant sections in the notes/book relevant to the prac, prior to showing up to the lab?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
sikeveo said:
Survivor, do the pretests count towards your final mark? And are they just to show you have read the relevant sections in the notes/book relevant to the prac, prior to showing up to the lab?

Pre-tests and the drawings made during the lab account for 40% of the final marks. But since the School of BABS has taken over BIOS1201, they don't have pre-tests anymore. Each pre-test worth between 2 to 4%. Tututorial test during the mid-session period was worth 8%. I am not sure whether they still have it. If they still have it, it's probably worth more now.

I hope this helps. If you can, pick up your lab manual from the BEES office and start going through the lab notes. They cost about $20.

Rekkusu

HSC
Thanks for the info survivor! Hmm, whoa that reminds me...so if we have taken BIOS1201, we should also buy the Lab manual at the BEES student admin centre right? Cos recently, I also bought the course material, which is a yellow book with a CD. Though, I plan to buy like all the BIOS gear at uni shop, and probably the lab manual as well on my oweek thing.

Hmm, sounds kind of good now that they don't have pretests, though in the yellow course material book for BIOS1201, they did mention something about quizes before tutorials...though I so hope they wipe the pre-tests off the tuts

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Rekkusu said:
In the last topic regarding like timetable tips, people said that it's better to finish the BIO lab early in the week, which I quite agree...Only in chem labs that you can use their timing to your advantage.

lol that was only tim's opinion.

Rekkusu

HSC
True true, haha, but yeah...hm it depends upon whether or not we actually do have the tutorial inside our Lab, then whether we do have a pre-quiz at the stat of our tutorials, otherwise, I could fit my lab onto another day.

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Yup, I'm doing BIOS1201 as well! Though my bio lab is on Wednesday 2-5pm. Lectures run from Monday, and thursday.

:wave: I have my bio lab on wed 2_5 pm too! Also i have lectures on Mon 3_4 and Fri 2_3.

Does anyone have Bio Lecture Sequence 2 of 2 on Wed or Thur between 9 to 11?or even Mon 10_12? Im tryng to not attend my fri Bio lec therefore Id have more free time for casual jobs

Rekkusu

HSC
Sounds cool!! haha most of my friends are like doing other BIOS Lab times...well its good to know at least a BOSer in my lab! Hope to see you on wednesday...hmm my lectures are mon 3-4pm & Thur 3-4pm.

Man, I don't know if it's true or not, though I heard that whenever you do labs its important to team up with someone you know and trust, cos I heard that you need to split up the prac work as well...

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
my lab is on friday, anyone the same?

Rekkusu said:
True true, haha, but yeah...hm it depends upon whether or not we actually do have the tutorial inside our Lab, then whether we do have a pre-quiz at the stat of our tutorials, otherwise, I could fit my lab onto another day.
In the email, they said that tutes are incorporated into the labs?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
err, in that case, I don't know what they've done. If the tut is in the lab, you don't have to worry about anything then.

HSC
Survivor39 said:
yes, you can do higher in S1 and fundamental in S2. I heard someone who got a 45 "Failed" in Higher can drop to and get a 50 in Fundamental 1A, not sure if that's true.

I'm sure you'll do well. :)
that's rare case... if you get marks around 47-49 then it is possible that they will give you a pass for Fund chem but 45 is bit to low....

most of people will find high chem very challenging. I found it so, which is why I dropped to fund chem in 2nd week of 1S lol.

Rekkusu

HSC
Whoa yeah...I hear like alot of varied comments on this chem course, so most likely, I'll try it out and see how it goes.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Man, I don't know if it's true or not, though I heard that whenever you do labs its important to team up with someone you know and trust, cos I heard that you need to split up the prac work as well...
Yes, a lot of first-year (and even higher years) labratory work is performed as a team. In chemistry, you will be in pairs, and sometimes your entire bench (4 people) will work on a project. In biology, there may be 2 or 3 per group. In second year biochem, theres 8 people to a group etc.

Just make sure you develop rapport with your team members, and you'll be fine. Don't get into any big arguments etc.. and you'll be fine!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)