BIRTHDAY LETTERS related texts (1 Viewer)

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
does anyone have any ideas...because i don't...

i'm using 'your paris' and 'sam'
i have one related text - 'whiteness i remember' by sylvia plath and i need one more
any help is greaty greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! :uhhuh: :confused: :eek:

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
There are plenty of texts you could use. I think last year I used Big Fish and a Virginia Woolf autobiography. Although Big Fish actually links better with "red" with the use of colour but anyway its still relevant. Another film you could use is A Beautiful Mind. Oh, and you could also use Outfoxed since that's all about the representation of truth, its manipulation, and distortion due to differing perspectives and motives.

Last edited:

7minute

HSC
I used Plath's poems "Daddy" and "Ariel" and also excerpts from her private diary.

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
i ended up useing plaths poem whiteness i remember because it describes the same event as sam, and a random NW magazine article about Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn

HSC
N/A
I know I've said this a million times, but I'll say it again for the heck of it.

Be VERY careful when you choose Plath's poems as a related text for Birthday Letters. The aim of the game is to analyse the idea of "truth" in literary texts, NOT in Hughes' and Plath's relationship.

Also, roughly half of the state will pick at least one Plath poem. If you're going to do it, do it well...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
glitterfairy said:
I know I've said this a million times, but I'll say it again for the heck of it.

Be VERY careful when you choose Plath's poems as a related text for Birthday Letters. The aim of the game is to analyse the idea of "truth" in literary texts, NOT in Hughes' and Plath's relationship.

Also, roughly half of the state will pick at least one Plath poem. If you're going to do it, do it well...
but glitterfairy, are we trying to explore the idea of truth in the text or the methods by which Hughs represents his version of the truth? Afterall, the module is titled "TELLING the truth", not merely "truth". Ach! So confusing!

dramaqueen462

Question: Is it possible to pick a few of Hughes poems to analyse in detail or do you have to have a rough overview, know a few quotes, from all the nominated ones? And also, can you use poems of Hughes that isn't nominated as additional texts? If that makes any kind of sense that is lol

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
dramaqueen462 said:
Question: Is it possible to pick a few of Hughes poems to analyse in detail or do you have to have a rough overview, know a few quotes, from all the nominated ones? And also, can you use poems of Hughes that isn't nominated as additional texts? If that makes any kind of sense that is lol
Yeah, I phoned the adviceline and the lady reccomended to focus on only 2-3 poems in order to achieve the required depth. Try and know a few quotes from the others as well, just in case. I seriously advise against using other Hugh's poems as related texts. Not a good idea. If you are going to use related texts that are about their marriage you should use a Plath poem or a biography so that you get VARIOUS representations. Using Hughs would just be more of the same perspective. And you don't have to do related texts that are about the event, your related text can be completely unrelated (ironically enough)- as long as it is a representation of a truth.

jaihson

HSC
Just to reinforce fleepbasding's last point there.

I also phoned the advice line also in regard to supplementary texts relating to the hughes and plath relationship. I asked if i had to pick texts that offered different perspectives on the whole situation and the man said "no, you dont necessarily have to, the module is called 'Telling the Truth' NOT birthday letters."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)