Birthday presents - a poll (1 Viewer)

What should I do with the scarf? (and please specify why underneath)

• Just give it to him anyway for his 18th.

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • Don't give it to him - give him a $30 gift voucher instead and drop the matter.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Give him the voucher now, but save the scarf for his 21st birthday.

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Before we start setting the scene, let me establish that I do not have a boyfriend and I do not want a boyfriend at the moment at all (HSC, y'know?)

One of my close male friends (of 3 years) is turning 18! And for his birthday present, I planned to give him a hand-knitted Ravenclaw scarf - exactly like the one I own.

This is because he is as nerdy as I am, and Ravenclaw is where "those of wit and learning..." so I had a great idea of wrapping it up and writing on his card, "Welcome to Ravenclaw" or something like that. Sort of desecrating the novel but what the hell...

Anyhow the problem is, he has a girlfriend now! And I definitely wouldn't want to make her upset by making it look like I fancy him (I really don't!).

I'm a bit concerned because a hand-knitted scarf is very personal, and since it's the same as mine I might accidentally make us look like a couple (rather than Ravenclaw buddies, since nobody seems to understand my Harry Potter references). And it's his birthday! I don't want to upset him either...

So yeah. I have another 30cm of scarf to go (about a week so I'll definitely get it done in time) but I'm really torn as to whether I should put the scarf aside for somebody else and give him a gift voucher (safe territory).

I began the scarf when he wasn't attached. Should I put it in a box and give it to him for his 21st and hope like crazy that we're all mature enough to deal with situations like these?

My mother also doesn't know who the scarf is for. She thinks I'm sending it to Daniel Radcliffe as a 17th birthday present, because he turns 17 on July 23rd. As far as the parentals go, it's all very safe! Also I'll be able to weasel at least $10 for parcel postage to England off her, so it's all good!

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
whatever give it to him... if she is insecure about it fuck her

Natla

HSC
I think you should just give it to him, people should be mature enough to understand that you're just a friend.

But if you're really worried you could always buy a card with "To my friend" or end with "From your friend," or whatever.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
give it to him! he's a close friend, if it's something that he'd really like too then absolutely give it to him. it sounds like a very thoughtful present.

perhaps make sure to let the girlfriend know that you are not interested in him whatsoever. but all involved should be mature enough to deal.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Don't put it off until his 21st. Things could change too much and it won't be the right time to give it to him anymore. As far as maturity level goes and girls being insecure, not much changes.

I say give it to him and tell him the story.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
the real question here though is

WHY DOES YOUR MUM THINK YOU ARE BUYING DANIEL RADCLIFFE A BIRTHDAY PRESENT?
*ahem* stalker

katy-g

HSC
Def give it to him.

Its a mark of your close friendship and similar interest not a mark of "omg we have the same scarf so i wanna get into your pants."

I think its a real sweet idea

katy-g

HSC
DrownTheCrow said:

*ahem* stalker
LOL! And furthermore... if that were the case... should u not be sending Daniel a Gryffindor scarf?!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Just give it to him, and make it clear to the girlfriend that you aren't interested in him at all, and if necessary, that you started the scarf well before she came on the scene.

robo-andie

HSC
Give him the scarf.

He should be able to explain to his GF what it means to him. And she should be mature enough to understand the friendship you and him share.

HSC
DrownTheCrow said:

*ahem* stalker
Ahahahahahaha...well, because his initials are the same as Daniel's and the scarf has been embroidered! It seemed easiest for me to explain. But I've never actually sent anything to Dan before...although every year I say, "I'm going to send him a card!" The thing about mum is that she'd rather have me constructing imaginary relationships with imaginary boys than going out with real people. She's always been like that, since year seven when I started showing a tiny bit of interest...so she's only too happy to supply postage to keep me out of the arms etc of certain other boys.

katy-g said:
LOL! And furthermore... if that were the case... should u not be sending Daniel a Gryffindor scarf?!
No, I wouldn't, because Dan probably gets fifty million Gryffindor scarves a week! I would want it to be something different. And for that reason I would write there, "I have a scarf that's exactly the same as this, so if you see a girl with a blue scarf walking the streets of Melbourne, now you know who it is."

brogan77 said:
$10 says u change ur surname to Potter, ala Zoe Doherty
Haha, I already have changed my name a bit! My Year 12 Jersey says "Lil' Potter"! Does that count? So now you can get your money :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i see stella remains her old self.

it's winter. we all need a scarf.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
What I don't get is, your Mum is a smart cookie. Wouldn't she be smart enough to realise the oddness in you making a RAVENCLAW scarf for DANIEL RADCLIFFE?

Surely you should be making a Gryffindor one?

HSC
ujuphleg said:
What I don't get is, your Mum is a smart cookie. Wouldn't she be smart enough to realise the oddness in you making a RAVENCLAW scarf for DANIEL RADCLIFFE?

Surely you should be making a Gryffindor one?
Daniel is actually quite different from Harry, in my opinion. Dan is (or a least was a few years back) a real science nerdy type. Anyhow, as I told my mum, he gets 10000000 Gryffindor scarves a week, to see a Ravenclaw one will be refreshing. And he might even wear it! So I said.

But I think I'll give it to my friend anyhow; scarves are very useful. Even if he doesn't wear it, scarves are almost as versatile as towels (a la Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). You can use them as packing material or a mat, I suppose.

I finished the scarf today :) it is about 2m long, so it's nice, big and thus versatile!

nwatts

HSC
Make me a damned scarf.

But yes, give it to him. I've given a few gifts to friends along the way that could have easily been taken the wrong way, and haven't. Including a 12 inch rubber cock. If you're scared of showing your best friend any affection now he has a girlfriend I can safely say that your relationship will soon fall apart. If the girl turns her nose up at it, and he's someone worth your friendship, he'll boot her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)