• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

bit torrent port (1 Viewer)

ReaveR

HSC
Az was retarded to get working properly, have to install some java bits and pieces, I think everytime I format I just fluke it cos I install every java related thing I can find on my computer.

...But I like it. And yeah, you'd have to change your settings in Az, its Tools-> Options -> Connection. You only need to name one port because this client only uses one port for all its torrents.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
ReaveR said:
Az was retarded to get working properly, have to install some java bits and pieces, I think everytime I format I just fluke it cos I install every java related thing I can find on my computer.
Yeah, you have to download Java, but that is no big deal:).

ReaveR said:
...But I like it. And yeah, you'd have to change your settings in Az, its Tools-> Options -> Connection. You only need to name one port because this client only uses one port for all its torrents.
Yeah, but you want another couple open in case something happens to one of the others. So which ports do you guys recommend:)?

ReaveR

HSC
You name one port on Az and open the group on your router, I wouldn't know what ports to recommend cos I just use the next block of ten...should use something you know isn't used by anything else, Az will tell you when the port is mapped to something else already so go by that.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Why do people think open ports = a hacked computer?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
sunny said:
Why do people think open ports = a hacked computer?
For a number of reasons:

1. The people who replied to this post suggested that was the case;
2. If you have closed ports I thought that meant the router was blocking people from gaining access to your computer (it acts like a Hardware firewall); and
3. I guess I am just misinformed as usual:p.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Grizzly said:
(It works good at uni handling 1000+kbs DL speeds :p)
Oh, I forgot to mention, you actually use BitTorrent on your University computers:eek:?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Merethrond said:
For a number of reasons:

1. The people who replied to this post suggested that was the case;
2. If you have closed ports I thought that meant the router was blocking people from gaining access to your computer (it acts like a Hardware firewall); and
3. I guess I am just misinformed as usual:p.
Think of a port as a door. If the hacker can open your door its not going to be particularly helpful for him/her if the door doesn't actually lead him anywhere.

ie, Unless you have an exploitable program listening on one of these ports you have opened, the chances of you getting hacked on some random port is extremely unlikely.

Of course it just makes people feel safe when everything is closed :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
sunny said:
Think of a port as a door. If the hacker can open your door its not going to be particularly helpful for him/her if the door doesn't actually lead him anywhere.

ie, Unless you have an exploitable program listening on one of these ports you have opened, the chances of you getting hacked on some random port is extremely unlikely.

Of course it just makes people feel safe when everything is closed :)
I see. Thanks:).

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Merethrond said:
Oh, I forgot to mention, you actually use BitTorrent on your University computers:eek:?
LOL, i personally dont, but have several friends who do everyday.

THey install ABC on their USB flash drives, with the torrent file already on the Drive (previously downloaded at home). Then they open it from the drive, and save it to the PC's HDD.
They come back with their slim-line USB2 HDD's to "offload" the files.

And yeah, why not, you can get 1mb's download and over 300kbs upload at uni :p

*cant wait for full wireless net provision at uni* :p

Sunny, opens doesnt always mean hacked computer, but, why put a hole in your firewall, espeically if hackers know where the hole is, and how big it is.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Grizzly said:
Sunny, opens doesnt always mean hacked computer, but, why put a hole in your firewall, espeically if hackers know where the hole is, and how big it is.
Did you read what he originally said ? :p

I can leave a door open to my house, but if an intruder goes through it and it leads nowhere, or to a closed door in front of it, what good has it done him ?

An open hole doesn't mean you're vunerable.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It's not necessarily the open ports but what services may be running on them.. if you can access a service which has not been shut down then exploits may be run against that service.

The reason a particular port may be a danger is because it's commonly used and therefore exploits will be built to target that particular service on that particular port. By using an obscure port you limit their ability to target specific ports..

Anyway, if you leave a port open make sure you've shut down any services running on the other side and scan yourself frequently for services. The reason most people actually block all ports is because software you install may contain trojans which sit on particular ports. Shut down the port and the trojan can't phone home.

Really, why leave a door open when it takes a second to close it and another second to lock it?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Grizzly said:
LOL, i personally dont, but have several friends who do everyday.

THey install ABC on their USB flash drives, with the torrent file already on the Drive (previously downloaded at home). Then they open it from the drive, and save it to the PC's HDD.
They come back with their slim-line USB2 HDD's to "offload" the files.

And yeah, why not, you can get 1mb's download and over 300kbs upload at uni :p

*cant wait for full wireless net provision at uni* :p
Imagine how much trouble they will be in if they got caught:eek:! I would be too scared to do it:rolleyes:.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
MedNez said:
Did you read what he originally said ? :p

I can leave a door open to my house, but if an intruder goes through it and it leads nowhere, or to a closed door in front of it, what good has it done him ?

An open hole doesn't mean you're vunerable.
Yeah, thats true :)

Merth, yeah, me 2, im to scared to do use torrents at uni 2, i guess if the comp lab admins catch you its grounds for "disciplinary action".
Heck, even if we play with the AIR CON settings in the finance comp labs we get disciplinary action. (THeres a big sign)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Grizzly said:
Merth, yeah, me 2, im to scared to do use torrents at uni 2, i guess if the comp lab admins catch you its grounds for "disciplinary action".
Heck, even if we play with the AIR CON settings in the finance comp labs we get disciplinary action. (THeres a big sign)
Yeah, I would be interested to know what they would do:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)