Bit (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey,

I got into the BIT course, got a call from UTS on the 17th saying that they were offering me a place. I got only 91.20 ATAR but my interview was good i think cos the got the "94+ ur in" letter.

Has anyone else got this?

And if any snr. student is reading this, how do i prepare myself between now and march 1 so i dont feel lost at uni.

Thanks

edit: see andrew I can edit the post

Last edited:

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
I'm not a BIT student, so I can't provide too much advice in that regard. I do, however, study BScIT, so I can probably provide some general information. First, if you're interesting in speaking to students and staff, come to Advisory Day on the 5th of January UTS: Welcome to UTS Advisory Day 2010: City Campus, Tuesday 5 January, 9am to 4pm. Other than that, there's not a whole lot to prepare. Buy some paper and some pens, maybe take a walk around the university and familiarise yourself with the buildings (you'll probably have a few classes in Building 1, 2 and 10 (and maybe 4, though I don't know for the BIT)).

I wouldn't suggest buying textbooks until after the list is handed out in class, if there's a list at all, that is, since it's possible it changed from the previous semesters and your sources may not be 100% accurate. The Co-op Bookshop is just down the road from UTS, but in the 2nd and 3rd weeks it's very crowded.

Outside of that, not much I can think of. If you want to ask anything, go ahead, though, and I may be able to answer.

HSC
thanks for the quick reply.

Since BIT is similar to your course (assuming) how hard is it compared to high school, i've tried asking a few students, some say its prob the easiest thing you would ever do but others say its very competitive and you have to stay on your toes and secondly how heavy is the work load and thirdly since I would be getting the scholarship, is it possible to tell the uni that they can take the fees out of my scholarship? cos i cant get HECS cos i aint citizen.

cheers!

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC

Since BIT is similar to your course (assuming) how hard is it compared to high school, i've tried asking a few students, some say its prob the easiest thing you would ever do but others say its very competitive and you have to stay on your toes and secondly how heavy is the work load and thirdly since I would be getting the scholarship, is it possible to tell the uni that they can take the fees out of my scholarship? cos i cant get HECS cos i aint citizen.

cheers!
From what I've heard from BITs I know, your work load will be quite a bit more demanding than my own, and I've heard you have to, at some point, take 5 subjects a semester (but no promises, since I'm not sure).

In regards to uni vs high school... it can be easier when you compare it against year 12, but that depends on how much you put into it, how much you enjoy it and what subjects you're taking. Unlike high school, where you were forced into subjects (even if you 'chose' them, which normally meant picking the lesser of a few evils), university focuses solely on IT... in various forms. Programming, networking, databases and information systems are the larger areas of focus (for me, at least). While some subjects are particularly easy, there'll always be a few that will slip you up. Not to say that you'll fail them, but you'll be lucky if you get Ds and HDs all through university. That said, an HD is 85%+ and a D is 75% - 84%. Back in high school, a 75% was not so great... now it's considered pretty good. In fact, a credit average is enough to study honours, and that's 65% - 74% =D

I don't think you can channel your scholarship into your fees, no. You'd definitely be better asking a staff member, as they'd know for sure, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Aeriff

HSC

cheers!
Just offering what little help I can. I got an interview but missed out on a place due to a terrible ATAR (that's beside the point though). I was talking to a couple of 2nd years on interview day and I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible:

• The only way in which BScIT and BIT are similar are most of the core subjects and the electives you can take as part of the course.
  • You have to overload semesters to complete the subjects so you can fit in your industry placements. I think it's during the second industry placement in the first semester of the third year that you complete a subject concurrently with your work.
  • The scholarship money is paid directly into your bank account every fortnight, not as a lump sum. It is tax-free. I'm not sure if you can channel your scholarship money into your fees though.

Also FYI, there's a UTS forum which may have the answers you seek but unfortunately all the forums are now locked as of 18th Dec. Congratulations on getting a place!

HSC
thanks guys for the quick replies

Its nice to hear Uni isnt like year 12, i didn't think Year 12 was particularly hard just that I made a wrong subject selection like choosing 2 unit instead of 3 unit where my 3 unit marker was way higher than 2 unit, I should have chosen 4 unit and another mistake was choosing chem, i was almost failing it, apart from that HSC was quite easy and hopefully uni will be fun.

areef, thanks man sorry to hear u just missed out, well hoping to see u at UTS next yr anyways mate
cheers

toop

HSC
Congrats on getting into BIT!

I have just completed first year in the UTS BIT course, here are some tips on the 4 subjects you do in first semester:

Programming Fundamentals - learn Java and simple programming concepts. Previous assignments have included coding games such as pacman or sudoku.etc Don't worry there will be a lot of skeleton code provided, you just need to add/modify some methods.

Web Systems - learn about the UNIX operating system and its commands, Fedora 10 or 11 is what the computers at UTS run on so you can try dual booting into this at home to get the feel of being at uni if u want. Bash scripting, Shell, Vim, web development (CSS, HTML) and a lot on the architecture of networks, client v server side. etc

Introduction for Information Systems - learn rich pictures, diff between data and information, different kinds of info systems, screen design, dialogue designs.

Communication for IT Professionals - arrrgggghhh (you will understand why) think yr 12 english all over again, writing reports and giving presentations.

Good luck and hope to see you there!

melazyacying

HSC
wow u get ur actual score for interview and ATAR attached? hmm.. we didnt get that..

um, its only the second half of second year that you should feel like you're going to get crushed by work. But anytime before that its bearable and cruzie - bulk of the learning should come in industry. XD

Its not like year 12.. during uni, but when its exam time it can be worse... since you know that if you fail a core subject you have to repeat it?? (im sure i know if I fail the HSC i may not have to do it again..)

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Hey Toop, what's your real name lol, we're both in the same year of the same course but I have no idea who you are.

Btw other-BITs, if you need any advice or have questions just PM me before uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)