• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

bittorrent? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

is a roflcopter
HSC
anyone use it?
im getting crapass speeds, like 1kb/sec, even when the site goes theres a couple of hundred seeders

anyone with the same experience?
anyone with a remedy?

cheers

Huy

HSC
N/A
No, I don't use BT.

If there are a couple hundred seeders, then I believe a priority system is in place, whereby the 100% (complete) seeders will send more (faster) to those below. I suggest that you unblock (or port forward, if on a LAN) your ports, I can't remember the exact port - but I do believe it is in the range of 6881 to 6889 (or close). I have also read that there is an upload to download ratio in place, so the more you upload (the faster you upload), the 'faster' your downloads will become - as it works on a prioritised system.

I'm not 100% sure on the priority, but I do believe that there is a ratio in place or a random 'switching' of users, of whom you will upload to at some stage. Having never used BT, I can't really help you that much, sorry.

is a roflcopter
HSC
ahh geez
no more hoarding then teeeheee :D

okies so how do i unblock ports?

thanks man

Huy

HSC
N/A
If you're on dial-up, it doesn't really apply. If you're running a firewall (software presumably), there will be options and a configuration page you can view/update. If you're on broadband (ADSL or other) and have a router in place (most ADSL modems will come with built-in routers), then you can access the web interface for the router via your internet browser (typically as an internal IP, a node) - enter the username and password (if known, otherwise consult your manual) and there should be a Virtual Server or Port Mapping/Forwarding page to update and enter details. Forward the ports from your own internal (assigned, not automatic) LAN IP and this'll forward the ports.

I assume you are still on dialup, in which case the ports should be open.

is a roflcopter
HSC
nah im adsl now
i guess torrent is out for me then since the web interface doesnt work rofl

im connecting with windows connection thingy hehe

Huy

HSC
N/A
i guess torrent is out for me then since the web interface doesnt work rofl
Read your ADSL modem manual - it should have a section describing how to connect to your router. If your ADSL modem does not include the functionality of a router, then you cannot connect to it via the web interface (browser) ;)
im connecting with windows connection thingy hehe
'Thingys' can describe a lot of things, but I assume ICS.

is a roflcopter
HSC
okies i got into the interface page
its asking me whether its tcp or udp

which one is it?

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
You want TCP (or so I believe)...

And yeah... I use BT a bit... but not much... whenever a computer with Windows is on BT is running...

Huy

HSC
N/A
@Newbie, TCP.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i used bt a few times and just used the defulat settings. sometimes i got 40k/s sometimes 15. if i start getting a good speed, ill keep using it. otherwise id cancel and find another source.

fantasia

HSC
bittorent is crappy and the download speeds are pathetic. Try oout emule or edonkey.. its much faster and better in my opinion

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Winmx is better than those.. or even better use IRC. Its faster.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Nothing beats FTP. ;)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
once u get addicted to FTP + IRC u never go bak to p2p ^^

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
once u get addicted to FTP + IRC u never go bak to p2p ^^
its just sometimes p2p is quicker for that one song, or small thing to grab :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
We have received a copyright infringement notice on your behalf from Universal City Studios Productions. It is alleged that your computer has been used for unauthorised copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) via ___________. The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works allows Universal to protect this artist's work under s512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in Australia. Hence your download of the file "___________________________" violates copyright law. You must delete this file ASAP, and cease and desist from downloading and/or sharing copyrighted material. This email constitutes your first warning; continued infringement will result in a permanent suspension of your account, as this is a violation of our terms and conditions. If you have any queries regarding this email please contact us on 1300 790 789.
:uhoh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)