• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Black Hawk Down (1 Viewer)

mungi

HSC
okay this is my first post so here goes

my topic for my major work is the battle of mogadishu (spelling), which was portayed in the movie 'black hawk down'. i have done all the research about this event and im thinking of doing the question "does reproducing the event of the US raid in Somalia in 1993 in entertainment form alter what really happened. if so then how?

i was wondering what structure i could use to answer this question. the word limit is 2500 words (give or take 300) and i got 4 weeks to do it in. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

X

xeuyrawp

Basic science dictates to us that the portrayal of something doesn't change how it happened. :-S

terminator69

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Basic science dictates to us that the portrayal of something doesn't change how it happened. :-S
Yep I'm sure they tried to accurately portray it as much as possible.

Really awesome movie btw!

X

xeuyrawp

Er, wtf?

My point is that his question is illogical. He needs to fix it.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You should be concerned with how the movie has contributed to the different perceptions/perspectives surrounding the actual event, rather than stating how the movie has "altered what really happen", which is impossible. I think that's what Rob's getting at :)

mungi

HSC
yeh okay thats a good point. regarding the movie contributing to different perspectives/perceptions surrounding the event, how should i set this out.
theres obviously a perception in the film that american soldiers are the heroes, could i argue that perception with the view that american killed many innocent people and the movie failed to show that? ie the nameless somalians which are killed (shown in silence) in contrast to american soldiers being brutally murdered and their bodies carried across the streets?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Exactly- you're trying to create a debate surrounding the topic, and determining whether the primary/secondary sources that you have researched support/contradict the perspectives offered by the movie, which has influenced alot of the general population. Remember HISTORIOGRAPHY as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)