• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Blade Runner - Deckard (1 Viewer)

lucy:)

HSC
Is everyone taking the stance that Deckard is a replicant? It's what I have been taught, and is crucial to my argument so just wanted to check if that seems to be universal...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You're not gonna gain/lose marks for taking either stance. I myself do argue that he is a replicant, in order to show the replicants are 'more human than human', but yeah.

jet

Banned
HSC
I may take note of the fact that the topic is placed into serious question, though I didn't in my practice essay. I think it's more important that we question his humanity as it aids Scott in demonstrating the blurring of the barriers between the natural and the unnatural.

astroe

HSC
I'm not taking that stance,
We were told it was irrelevant. LOL.

Our main focus is more ontological - What really is it to be a human?

There's no mark deduction for making claims, as long as you can substantiate them.
You can even say that Frankenstein's monster and Roy Batty are the same thing, just back it up logically with quotes or you'll lose marks.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Not really relevant to the module but I reckon he's a replicant.

lucy:)

HSC
okay good, I'm comparing the relationships of the humans in comparison to that of the replicants. That none of the relationships between humans are explored or are deep in comparison to Roy and Pris, Deckard and Rachael thats all... Thanks :)

absorber

HSC
Ridley Scott in interviews has said he's a replicant, I've said it in my essays

GracieBelle

HSC
If he wasn't a replicant, wtf is with the unicorn dream/origami?
I interpretted that as an implanted memory so, therefore, consider Deckard a replicant... and that Gaff knows because he leaves the origami unicorn for Deckard to find...
But that's just my opinion :)

JesseMatheson

HSC
Actually Ridley Scott said that he was NOT a replicant and that the origami was just to keep everyone guessing.

Honestly its irrelevant as it will not be asked or relate to any part of a question.
Also its extremely unwise to compare two parts of the same texts, you say you are comparing humans to replicants but the teacher marking could simply say "Because none of the characters are human?" simple.
Its better to look into how the relationships form our perceptions of the replicants.

remember you are comparing the texts, choose 4 ideas that they both share.
for example: Creations

look at the creations in both texts and the similarities with both.

Replicants - The Monster

etc etc blah blah blah

(its 3 in the morning...why am i awake?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)